Painting interior - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-11-2013, 07:03 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Painting interior

So I wanted to change the color of my interior. At first I thought the only way to do it was I would have to buy the panels for the doors, back etc. Then I came across I guess it's some kind of spray paint for the interior of cars. Has anyone used it? Stay away from it? Thx
Anthony214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2013, 10:30 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

I used Krylon Gloss Red for my interior. It came out nice. Make sure you prep it good before you start painting.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1471112543.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	329.6 KB
ID:	136016

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2090816101.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	404.6 KB
ID:	136017
JonathanMustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 01:34 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanMustang View Post
I used Krylon Gloss Red for my interior. It came out nice. Make sure you prep it good before you start painting.
That looks cool. But I'm talking about the side panels and stuff. I don't like my interior color too much. It's a stone light color. Like my door panels and rear seat panels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2013, 01:53 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Keep us updated.
JonathanMustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 07:50 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Minnesota
My experience as a painter taught me to not trust anything that comes from a rattle can. It's all low quality paint. No matter the brand. They can not use proper hardeners. They have to use stuff that allows for a longer shelf life. This becomes an issue when you want to use more than water to clean.

The best paint jobs come from very good prep work.
Skulls98GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 09:51 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skulls98GT View Post
My experience as a painter taught me to not trust anything that comes from a rattle can. It's all low quality paint. No matter the brand. They can not use proper hardeners. They have to use stuff that allows for a longer shelf life. This becomes an issue when you want to use more than water to clean. The best paint jobs come from very good prep work.

That makes sense. I guess I just have to buy the interior piece by piece. I'm sure that's going to be pretty expensive. Have to be some stangs in a junkyard or something where I can take that stuff off then.
Old 11-12-2013, 06:27 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony214 View Post
That makes sense. I guess I just have to buy the interior piece by piece. I'm sure that's going to be pretty expensive. Have to be some stangs in a junkyard or something where I can take that stuff off then.
You can take the pieces that you want painted out of the car and into a body shop. They will quote you a price. Then it will be good paint and possibly have a warrantee.

There is even stuff they can add to the paint that makes is "more" flexible. That is if your painting panels that flex a little.
Old 11-12-2013, 01:11 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skulls98GT View Post
You can take the pieces that you want painted out of the car and into a body shop. They will quote you a price. Then it will be good paint and possibly have a warrantee. There is even stuff they can add to the paint that makes is "more" flexible. That is if your painting panels that flex a little.

So it has been done before then? From what I can figure is this stuff is poured into a mold already that color right? Or are the pieces molded then painted? Reason why I ask is because if it's painted eventually the paint will scuff or get scratched and the paint will start coming off.
Old 11-13-2013, 06:25 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I'm not sure if OEM stuff is painted, but I have painted interior parts. They seem to have held up pretty well.

I painted some door panels on my mom's stang. Next time I'm out there, I will take a pic.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:03 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I've used plasti dip on some of my interior, but its all stuff that isn't touched a lot. Its held up fine for about a year now. But I've also painted a whole car with that stuff too with no problems.

***resident gun idiot***
Roguestang is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing