Touchless Car Wash? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-18-2013, 12:39 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Touchless Car Wash?

I know I know, hand washing is the best, no contest there and not trying to dispute it. However, given my current living situation I do not have a garage for my mustang (2013 V6 Premium, Performance White) nor do I have access to a hose since I live in an apartment complex. Now I have been using the a self service car wash while the weather temps have been tolerable (Northeast PA). However, when it gets below freezing in the winter washing my car in a self service bay is going to be pretty awful.

The car wash I go to has a touchless car wash service, but I've never used it, would it be a good alternative to use in the winter when a wash is needed? Most of the below freezing temps here last from December through mid March.
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2013, 12:44 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Go to the car washes that have the pressure washers. The automatic ones don't clean very good and sometimes damage cars.
MidnightBlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 01:01 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Region: Massachusetts
Yea I have seen car washes take off parts of a
Bumper off my buddy's jeep, and **** up rims pretty good. I would just recommend try to keep the salt from the roads off of it as quickly as possible.
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2013, 01:12 PM   #4
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Suck it up and wash it in the cold... I would rather let my car stay dirty than take it through one of those automated death traps.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 01:15 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

^^ that's what I did last winter, I would do it on the warmest day possible, I never thought of doing it at one of those garage do it yourself car washes, it will keep you out of the wind at least
Old 11-18-2013, 01:17 PM   #6
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Get a $1k beater and keep the Stang in the garage, or under a cover if a garage isn't available.

HID end all thread
Old 11-18-2013, 01:21 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
A touchless is fairly safe, much more so than a brush or felt. Remember though, the detergent they use to help it clean without touching is very harsh. It pulls the wax off, usually in only one run. In your situation, I would use them to get the salt off at least once a week, but use a quick wipe wax to put some protection back on. Then remember to give her a good rubbing with a carnuba wax in the Spring.
Troy
Old 11-18-2013, 01:26 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I use a touchless in the winter. It's a Mustang, not a Ferrari or what have you - I think Shelby himself said these things were built to be driven, not to be garage-queens. I'm paraphrasing of course.
SpaceFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 01:28 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adogg View Post
Bumper off my buddy's jeep, and **** up rims pretty good. I would just recommend try to keep the salt from the roads off of it as quickly as possible.
How is that even possible with a touchless? Just curious because that seems like a nightmare.

---------- Post added at 02:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:26 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
Get a $1k beater and keep the Stang in the garage, or under a cover if a garage isn't available.
Not an option. The apartment complex I live at is brand new and there aren't enough spots for everyone to have more than 1 vehicle.
Old 11-18-2013, 01:28 PM   #10
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceFish View Post
I use a touchless in the winter. It's a Mustang, not a Ferrari or what have you - I think Shelby himself said these things were built to be driven, not to be garage-queens. I'm paraphrasing of course.
It may be, but why not try and keep it nice? The car was built to be driven. But there is nothing wrong with driving a car that looks really nice.

HID end all thread
Old 11-18-2013, 01:30 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getn off View Post
A touchless is fairly safe, much more so than a brush or felt. Remember though, the detergent they use to help it clean without touching is very harsh. It pulls the wax off, usually in only one run. In your situation, I would use them to get the salt off at least once a week, but use a quick wipe wax to put some protection back on. Then remember to give her a good rubbing with a carnuba wax in the Spring.
Troy
That sounds reasonable. The main thing is getting the salt off, if I have to wax my car after I have no problem. Thanks!
Old 11-18-2013, 01:31 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
It may be, but why not try and keep it nice? The car was built to be driven. But there is nothing wrong with driving a car that looks really nice.
That's why I run it through the touchless to keep the crud levels down (especially underneath) when it's cold.
SpaceFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 01:31 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormTrooperV6 View Post
How is that even possible with a touchless? Just curious because that seems like a nightmare. ---------- Post added at 02:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:26 PM ---------- Not an option. The apartment complex I live at is brand new and there aren't enough spots for everyone to have more than 1 vehicle.
Idk exactly what kind of car wash he went to, but I was just letting you know what I have seen happen, cause one day he just showed up and his bumper was missing a chunk. I would say it's your car and if you trust it go for it.
Old 11-18-2013, 01:32 PM   #14
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Another reason I love California. Snow is almost non-existent here. I can run summer tires or drag radials year round.

HID end all thread
Old 11-18-2013, 01:35 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Another reason I love California. Snow is almost non-existent here. I can run summer tires or drag radials year round.
Lol if I lived in a place where snow didn't exist taking care of this car would be stupidly simple. Unfortunately there's snow here in the winter so I don't have that luxury.
Old 11-18-2013, 01:37 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

^^^ know how you feel man up here in New England is horrible for the stang.
Old 11-18-2013, 01:37 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Idk exactly what kind of car wash he went to, but I was just letting you know what I have seen happen, cause one day he just showed up and his bumper was missing a chunk. I would say it's your car and if you trust it go for it.
Well that sucks, I've seen a bunch of cars go through while using the self service bay and no chunks missing.... yet lol. I'll see how bad this winter is and whether or not I give it a go.
Old 11-18-2013, 01:38 PM   #18
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Region: Georgia
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
Obviously the best car wash is done by hand either at a reputable place or in your driveway using at least a grit guard and one bucket.

The best combo is the 2 bucket method with a grit guard in each m, however, that can be kind of difficult at times.

Given your current situation if you can take it to a good car wash once or twice a month that would be best. Avoid cheap gas station ones their equipment is usually lacking maintenance and can harm the paint.

Touch less car washes are actually harder on the finish because they don't use friction, so the chemicals are usually highly acidic to dissolve the grime and dirt.

I find using a good full service car wash the best when I can't do it myself. Avoid most car washes that use groupon.

To find good ones look up the reviews on google or yelp.

In the Southeast region I highly recommend Autobell and Cactus. Both car washes pride themselves on having top notch equipment and well trained employees.
Old 11-18-2013, 01:44 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
^^^ know how you feel man up here in New England is horrible for the stang.
Yeah it kind of sucked knowing my first "mod" was going to be 4 winter rims/tires, lol.

---------- Post added at 02:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:39 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99ford View Post
Obviously the best car wash is done by hand either at a reputable place or in your driveway using at least a grit guard and one bucket.

The best combo is the 2 bucket method with a grit guard in each m, however, that can be kind of difficult at times.

Given your current situation if you can take it to a good car wash once or twice a month that would be best. Avoid cheap gas station ones their equipment is usually lacking maintenance and can harm the paint.

Touch less car washes are actually harder on the finish because they don't use friction, so the chemicals are usually highly acidic to dissolve the grime and dirt.

I find using a good full service car wash the best when I can't do it myself. Avoid most car washes that use groupon.

To find good ones look up the reviews on google or yelp.

In the Southeast region I highly recommend Autobell and Cactus. Both car washes pride themselves on having top notch equipment and well trained employees.
Yeah I did a lot of looking around before posting, there only seems to be 1 touchless car wash that has gotten numerous positive reviews, which just so happened to be the one I go to. Outside of that you have your extremes, it's either all your garage or groupon ones, which I won't go near or your premium detail shops, which will cost me at least $140 for a full exterior detail and needless to say doing that once a month would be painful on my wallet.

I'll probably give this touchless wash a shot and see how it goes and be sure to apply wax again right after as Getn Off suggested.
Old 11-18-2013, 01:47 PM   #20
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Region: Georgia
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormTrooperV6 View Post

Yeah it kind of sucked knowing my first "mod" was going to be 4 winter rims/tires, lol.

---------- Post added at 02:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:39 PM ----------

Yeah I did a lot of looking around before posting, there only seems to be 1 touchless car wash that has gotten numerous positive reviews, which just so happened to be the one I go to. Outside of that you have your extremes, it's either all your garage or groupon ones, which I won't go near or your premium detail shops, which will cost me at least $140 for a full exterior detail and needless to say doing that once a month would be painful on my wallet.

I'll probably give this touchless wash a shot and see how it goes and be sure to apply wax again right after as Getn Off suggested.
Yeah that stinks here I can get a decent full serve wash for $13 or just an exterior for $5.

But your best bet is to get the stuff off the car!
Old 11-18-2013, 02:13 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
A good spray on touch up wax can be applied wet and just use a microfiber cloth to wipe dry. Takes only 5 mins.
Troy
Old 11-18-2013, 11:16 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
I second that. I have 19' wheels and the automatic touch less wash took the metal chips off - from the interior/back side. Result: damaged tire, 80 bucks for towing, $600 for new tire (m'***** pirelli p zero), and $140 for rental car.

Choice is yours bud.
bazinga11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 11:26 PM   #23

Region: New York
We have a small chain (about 20 locations) car wash called Hoffmans. They charge 35 bucks a month for unlimited washes. It covers Soft cloth wash, with touch-free air drying, undercarriage rinse, 2-step polish, high pressure wheel cleaning, and SimonizĀ® tire dressing.

Really can't beat that if you ask me.
Patrickandberry is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing