Powder coat removal - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-24-2013, 05:55 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Asia
Powder coat removal

S it possible to remove a powder coat from a stainless steel product and if so what's the best way and what would I expect as results? My desire is a clean stainless steel look.
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2013, 03:28 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
S it possible to remove a powder coat from a stainless steel product and if so what's the best way and what would I expect as results? My desire is a clean stainless steel look.
Bump
Old 12-02-2013, 10:08 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
A quick google search turned this up...don't know if it is any good or not:

Remove Powder Coat Paint

Black with Black Interior, Brembo Front Brakes, 19x9 Wheels, MMD Hood Strut Kit, Sound Pipe Delete, Muffler Delete...Long Mod Wish List!
FivePointO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2013, 07:27 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Chemical strippers work great on powdercoat but can be very hazardous, expensive, time consuming, and still leave a bunch of the coating behind. The best solution for removing powdercoat from steel is sand blasting with plastic media or burning it off.
DWC_SmOziLLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 04:28 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWC_SmOziLLa View Post
Chemical strippers work great on powdercoat but can be very hazardous, expensive, time consuming, and still leave a bunch of the coating behind. The best solution for removing powdercoat from steel is sand blasting with plastic media or burning it off.
I have access to a sandblaster but wouldn't be plastic media. Can you give me some more info on burning it off?
Old 12-03-2013, 04:44 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
I have access to a sandblaster but wouldn't be plastic media. Can you give me some more info on burning it off?
This info only applies to powdercoat on steel. Using these techniques on aluminum will destroy the metal. So when I say burn it off I literally mean burn it off. Make a fire and throw it in it. Or if you have access to a oven that can reach 800*, put it in there. The coating just turns to ash. You can sand blast it with aluminum oxide media but it takes a long time. The advantage with plastic media is that it doesn't heat up the coating. Like with aluminum oxide media, the coating starts to warm up and you end up just pushing it around. If your not careful you will actually distort the metal before you get the coating fully blasted. If you don't mind me asking, what is it your trying to remove the powdercoat from? Is the coating failing? What do you plan on using to recoat the piece?
DWC_SmOziLLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 07:14 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

My desire is to get a radiator grill cover for a 97 GT that is metallic or chrome. The only ones I can find online are black powder coated stainless steel. UPR is the only site that advertises for my year/model. On their website they show a polished stainless steel one but out of stock. I've contacted them and was told that they will likely never get it back in stock. They only have a black one available.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing