Thoughts on side scoops? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-02-2014, 08:02 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
Thoughts on side scoops?

Wife got me these for Christmas, it hasn't been warm enough out to put them on yet. Looking for opinions on them. Thanks

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1388671206.826988.jpg
Views:	424
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	143500

Car the way it sits now.

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1388671331.176058.jpg
Views:	654
Size:	291.1 KB
ID:	143501
sarge450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2014, 08:06 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarge450 View Post
Wife got me these for Christmas, it hasn't been warm enough out to put them on yet. Looking for opinions on them. Thanks

Car the way it sits now.
One who has a spouse that buys them mustang parts is a keeper. Lol. Respectfully, I'm not a fan of side scoops so its a big no for me bro.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 08:13 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Oh, she is defiantly a keeper. lol

I am kinda mixed on them myself that is kinda why I was looking for others opinions. I like them but at the same time I really can't tell how they are going to look by just holding them up to the car. Is there a way to temporarily put them on ?

Of course if I don't put them on she will probably never buy me car parts again...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2014, 08:20 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I'm with Kona..not a fan of side scoops either! Maybe they will "accidentally" fall off on the hwy with that cheap supplied 3m tape..if u catch my drift! Lmao.
Old 01-02-2014, 09:07 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh2freshstang View Post
I'm with Kona..not a fan of side scoops either! Maybe they will "accidentally" fall off on the hwy with that cheap supplied 3m tape..if u catch my drift! Lmao.

Mine almost did!
I took em off and sold them!
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 09:26 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I was wondering how well they stay on. That's the biggest reason I was waiting for some warm weather.
Old 01-02-2014, 09:43 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
I was wondering how well they stay on. That's the biggest reason I was waiting for some warm weather.
I had some on my 03, they stayed on perfect, no complains, and that car had seen 100+
xhgwx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 09:59 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Australia
Not a big fan of the scoops either, but the side window louvers look sweet on '05+
Old 01-02-2014, 10:07 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
i personally love the scoops. i think they look awesome.
TorchRed6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 10:08 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Send a message via AIM to brandonveiga Send a message via Skype™ to brandonveiga
Love them!

As Jeremy Clarkson would say: POWEEERRRRR
brandonveiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 10:21 AM   #11
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
I'm sure glad I ain't you.

If you put them on and hate them your wife will love you.
If you hate them enough Not to put them on ,Your wife will hate you.
Wow !!!!
Your only option is to put them on and keep peace in the family weather you like them or not.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 10:24 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
If you put them on and hate them your wife will love you.
If you hate them enough Not to put them on ,Your wife will hate you.
Wow !!!!
Your only option is to put them on and keep peace in the family weather you like them or not.
Ronnie

Lol, yeah I am kinda stuck there. I guess once I get a few days of nice weather I will put them on. If I don't like them I will do everything I can to get them to come loose...lol
Old 01-02-2014, 10:31 AM   #13
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Texas
I put both the side and Eleanor scoops on my '11. Love the looks of them. But I quickly learned that your already limited side view goes away with the Eleanors. On my '13 I have only put the side scoops. While I love the looks of the Eleanors, I like the vision better.
2002 Black/Red GT (Ginger)
2011 Red Candy Metallic V6 (Manfred)
2016 Magnetic Metallic GT (Susie II)
bigmac3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 10:36 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
yeah i was trying to get used to not using the quarter windows to prepare myself for scoops but ended up somehow using them more often??? i cant sacrifice my windows for scoops so although i love the looks, i just cant put them on. other drivers are idiots around here. you'll get flattened trying to back out of tight parking spots if you cant see
TorchRed6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 10:43 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac3 View Post
I put both the side and Eleanor scoops on my '11. Love the looks of them. But I quickly learned that your already limited side view goes away with the Eleanors. On my '13 I have only put the side scoops. While I love the looks of the Eleanors, I like the vision better.
Yeah I thought of that to. There is one stop sign on my way to work that I use that side window daily. With it blocked I will have to stop at a angle so I can either see if I am clear in the side mirror or get myself at a angle where I can check traffic through the passenger side window.

That may be a out if I don't like them. Tell her it is just to hard to see out, and I am worried I will pull out in front of a car.
Old 01-02-2014, 12:07 PM   #16
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Excellent plan

Quote:
That may be a out if I don't like them. Tell her it is just to hard to see out, and I am worried I will pull out in front of a car.
Good thinking, I just hope She does not read anything on this forum.
Ronnie
Old 01-02-2014, 12:28 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
Good thinking, I just hope She does not read anything on this forum.
Ronnie

If she does, well, good luck man.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 12:38 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

OP just tell your wife you love them however after doing some research and speaking with mustang forum members the side scoops are problematic with coming loose and falling off. You don't want her gift to get lost and run over so bam, presto , we should return them because you would feel awful if they came loose and fell off. Problem solved..your a genius. Lol
Old 01-02-2014, 12:46 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
OP just tell your wife you love them however after doing some research and speaking with mustang forum members the side scoops are problematic with coming loose and falling off. You don't want her gift to get lost and run over so bam, presto , we should return them because you would feel awful if they came loose and fell off. Problem solved..your a genius. Lol

She might wanna see what they said, and if she does, it could be bad. Just putting that out there, but that's a great idea.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 01:58 PM   #20
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Mabe you can send them back and get the louvers

You can see out of the louvers and they do look great. I'm sure if you explain how you love the one's she bought you but how they do cover the window your wife would be more then happy to let you return them and get the louvers.
I'm sure if this works out, You both will be happy.
Unless you have all of the other gaudy Eleanor stuff on your car the scoops just don't look right. The Louvers do and need no other item to go with them.
Ronnie
Old 01-02-2014, 02:09 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks guys, she doesn't even know what "Mustang Evolution" is so that is not a issue. I am going to see what they look like. Not sure on where I am going from there.
Old 01-02-2014, 02:59 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
My girl buys me nothing for the car lol. I'm personally not a fan of the scoops so I'd pass on putting them on, but your car looks great.
Jsvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 10:47 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsvt View Post
My girl buys me nothing for the car lol. I'm personally not a fan of the scoops so I'd pass on putting them on, but your car looks great.

Lol, maybe the best way. Don't have to worry about her feeling getting hurt that way.

Thanks for the compliment on the car.
Old 01-02-2014, 11:02 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Idaho
Quote:

Attachment 143500

Car the way it sits now.

Attachment 143501
Like the other posters, I'd have to say no to the scoops. For me, if it isn't bolted on, it doesn't belong, and I've never liked the window scoops. Just my opinion.

Maybe you can send the scoops back for credit? Exchange for something else?
Fader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 11:41 PM   #25
Road Trip!

My girlfriend got me lower control arms for Christmas cause that's what I asked for , took a pic of the page on AM with my iPhone and sent it to her no sweat lol....as for louvers I like the delete look from the gt350 that counts right ??? But I also look out the window too often when changing lanes on the freeway...

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1388727621.048704.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	143611
PonyBoy415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 11:45 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
I have installed a number of the side scoops, if prepped properly you will not have any issues, I personally would however remove the screen grilles if yours comes with them, the least amount of drag through the vents the better. I have never seen those or the door side scoops ever fly off with the exception of a stock set on an older mustang and that was age. As long as you regularly inspect them every two or three car washes to ensure they are staying you should be good. If they get the best bond at the first time of installation then you will most likely never have an issue.

On the aesthetics side, however if you do not go through with the rest of it, such as 68 style side scoops (behind the doors) and the painted rear louvers it may look out of place. They to me anyway, look best when you complete the package. I do not mind them. (for instance Eleanor theme etc.)

16 Mustang Ecoboost Prem Fast Back | 2.3L | 3.55 gears | 201A Package | 20" Foundry Wheels P265/35R20 Continental DWS tires | Interior Trim package | Shaker Audio with SYNC 3 | Redline Elite Hood Struts | Mishimoto catch can | Mishimoto Intercooler(Black) | TS Vee port supersonic BOV | Tune+ tuning | Driveshaft Shop aluminum DS | Map big turbo kit | AEM Meth injection w/Mishimoto charge pipe and bung | http://www.youtube.com/user/eclypse3d
3.7Cyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 04:11 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks again for all the advice. I finally broke down and asked the wife if she would be upset if I returned them. She said she wouldn't be so I think that is what I am going to do. If I decide to block the windows I think I am going to stick with the Roush theme I have going. I don't even know that I will put them on. Want to keep the clean look more than anything.
Old 01-06-2014, 04:18 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
I only hate them because of visibility problems. I luve no side window truck snugs, but hate visibility issues.

new engine,1.7 rocker arms,Pipes exhaust, shorty cats , shorty headers,under drive and overdrive pulleys,4.2 upper plenum, throttle body spacer, cold air intake, stage one clutch, shorty shifter, and tune. 8.8 in storage
samuelsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 05:31 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Thanks again for all the advice. I finally broke down and asked the wife if she would be upset if I returned them. She said she wouldn't be so I think that is what I am going to do. If I decide to block the windows I think I am going to stick with the Roush theme I have going. I don't even know that I will put them on. Want to keep the clean look more than anything.
Good choice bro. I have my side louver windows tinted. 20%
Old 01-06-2014, 06:13 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ur a brave man! Lmao.
Old 01-07-2014, 11:51 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
I was never crazy about body mods. I love the mustang for what it is. It's a 50/50 question.
08shelbyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 08:53 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky

Name:	IMG_5666.JPG
Views:	406
Size:	1.86 MB
ID:	144057

My wife got me these, I love them. I know a lot of people don't, or never heard of them, but I love them. You can see through them too so visibility is a lesser concern.

I love all side scoops/window scoops/ louvers etc. I love nostalgia.
Old 01-09-2014, 10:03 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRoadWarrior View Post
Attachment 144057

My wife got me these, I love them. I know a lot of people don't, or never heard of them, but I love them. You can see through them too so visibility is a lesser concern.

I love all side scoops/window scoops/ louvers etc. I love nostalgia.
Those look good man!
Lmo36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 10:13 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
Good choice bro. I have my side louver windows tinted. 20%
Yeah my side windows are already tinted 20 percent. Another reason I hated to cover them up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh2freshstang View Post
Ur a brave man! Lmao.
She was actually really cool with it. Said she didn't want me putting anything on my car that I wasn't sure about.
Old 01-11-2014, 02:26 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmo36 View Post
Those look good man!
Thanks! You are the first person to compliment me on them!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing