Paint Chipping - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-16-2014, 02:59 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maine
Paint Chipping

So I had a bubble in my paint on my hood and I think it finally chipped cause it flaked off a piece about the size of a nickel. It looks like its down to the bare metal and I think it happened at the car wash, but it was just a matter of time I think.

Anything I can do to make this look better temporarily? Can't afford to get the whole thing repainted, didn't know if anyone had any experience with those little touch up pens or not haha or anything else
Michael.s.king is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2014, 03:13 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
I've used touch up pens before, but nothing on something that big unfortunately. What color is the car? I used the detail pens on some minor scratches, and you can still tell theres a scratch from super close up, but its less noticeable than a big white scratch. But with something the size of a nickel, i dont know how well that would blend in.
PonyBoyV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 03:18 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Hmiller
I like the paint pen. I usually use the brush side to cover up the little rock paint chips. Works great.. I think it was like $14.
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2014, 03:20 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PonyBoyV6 View Post
I've used touch up pens before, but nothing on something that big unfortunately. What color is the car? I used the detail pens on some minor scratches, and you can still tell theres a scratch from super close up, but its less noticeable than a big white scratch. But with something the size of a nickel, i dont know how well that would blend in.

Very true.. Me either .. The spots I've done have all been small ..
Old 01-16-2014, 05:17 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah I also have some rock chips on my hood and was thinking about the pen for that. I think I'm gonna try it, I think it would look better than what it is now. Where did you guys get your pen? My car is black by the way
Old 01-16-2014, 05:56 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael.s.king View Post
Yeah I also have some rock chips on my hood and was thinking about the pen for that. I think I'm gonna try it, I think it would look better than what it is now. Where did you guys get your pen? My car is black by the way

I got mine from ford bc I wanted the perfect match .. I didn't think $14 from them was that bad
Old 01-22-2014, 09:43 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Wharever you do you need to protect the metal. Mask off the are wrong it. Sand it with 80 grit to give the metal a gripping surface. No need to do it hard, a light fast sanding is fine. Clean it with acetone or another metal cleaner. Spray a thin layer of etching primer on it, then spray it with sand able primer. Be sure to follow directions and flash times. Be sure to clean the metal well and dont touch it with your finger once its clean. Total time to do this is maybe 20 mins.

1989 LX, 306 with TF top end kit, Anderson N-21 cam, TKO 600 trans with steel splatter shield,full Maximum Motorsports Mustang maximum Grip box, Detroit locker rear end with 31 spline Moser axles. Staggered wheels with Nitto 555 315/35/17 out back.
89GTstanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 08:20 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Wow thanks man, once it warms up outside (above 0 haha) I'll have to try it! Thanks for the info! Much appreciated
Old 01-23-2014, 08:24 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
NP man. Glad to help!

1989 LX, 306 with TF top end kit, Anderson N-21 cam, TKO 600 trans with steel splatter shield,full Maximum Motorsports Mustang maximum Grip box, Detroit locker rear end with 31 spline Moser axles. Staggered wheels with Nitto 555 315/35/17 out back.
89GTstanger is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing