Washing your car - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-18-2014, 09:58 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Washing your car

I just thought I would start a thread to see and maybe get ideas on the different ways peoples wash there cars, may be a dumb topic but some people have a certain way they clean there car.
MasonStacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2014, 10:12 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Washing your car

I rinse the car off really well, and then start from the roof, down the body panels, and go from there. I rarely just wash though. After i do the final rinse, i'll take out a leaf blower and blow off excess water. I never towel dry.

After the wash i'll either spray her down with a quick wax, or a detailing spray. Just to clear up any water spots that dried before i got them off.

Then, comes the wheels. I make sure they're dry. Then use Turtle Wax chrome polish to really bring out the shine. Afterwards, if they need it, i'll apply a coat of tire shine. Some of the armor all spray.

Then if i need to wax, i have my system of doing that aswell.
PonyBoyV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 10:19 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

That sounds like the general way people do it but you actually gave me an idea about the leaf blower lol I would have never thought about that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2014, 10:21 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

It sounds nuts, but it actually works pretty well. Just kinda cumbersome to lug all around the car. But i figure, less chance of micro scratches on my black paint. So worth the tradeoff!
Old 01-18-2014, 10:24 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Definitely gonna try this next bath
Old 01-19-2014, 12:34 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Be careful that your leaf blower is not one of the ones that exhaust into the air stream. It will blow oil spots onto the car. I use compressed air.

Another technique I use when washing the car is to use the 2 bucket method. I have one bucket with suds, and another with plain water. I rinse the wash mitt in the plain water each time before I put it into the suds. That way, some of the grit does not go back onto the car and cause swirl marks.
Old 01-19-2014, 03:00 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinister07 View Post
Be careful that your leaf blower is not one of the ones that exhaust into the air stream. It will blow oil spots onto the car. I use compressed air.

Another technique I use when washing the car is to use the 2 bucket method. I have one bucket with suds, and another with plain water. I rinse the wash mitt in the plain water each time before I put it into the suds. That way, some of the grit does not go back onto the car and cause swirl marks.
I have a gas blower, but bought an inexpensive electric one just for blowing off the cars.
GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 03:10 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Wash mine real well top to bottom, then i dry it with a very clean leather shammy. No water spots and crazy shine. Got some croftgate waterless wash and wax to use too, as well as their project x polish and tire shine. Havent had a chance to really use since my cars in storage.

While my winter beater gets washed by mother nature
somedopebeats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 03:15 PM   #9
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Moved to Paint, Appearance and Detail

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 03:23 PM   #10
Road Trip!
Regular

Region: Arizona
Any convertible owners here with tips on how to wash and DRY our top
Joser714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 03:33 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joser714 View Post
Any convertible owners here with tips on how to wash and DRY our top
I wash mine no differently than the body, however, I let the top air dry, and don't drop until completely dry. It really doesn't take long at all for tops to air dry. Been driving convertibles for 23 years, and always treated them the same way.
Old 01-19-2014, 03:39 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberMeBlue View Post
I wash mine no differently than the body, however, I let the top air dry, and don't drop until completely dry. It really doesn't take long at all for tops to air dry. Been driving convertibles for 23 years, and always treated them the same way.
If I want to speed up drying, I just use a microfiber towel or cloth baby diaper.
Old 01-19-2014, 03:42 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
If I want to speed up drying, I just use a microfiber towel or cloth baby diaper.

Try a nice leather shammy, you'll love it!!

I always get cloudy spots when i use microfibers
somedopebeats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 03:56 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

I'm talking about the convertible top.
Old 01-19-2014, 04:23 PM   #15
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
Remember not to skimp on the amount of soap you use or the quality. The more soap you use or the better the quality the slicker the surface is. Slicker is better,it will cut down on scratching. The 2 bucket method is key but if you don't have a grid guard at the moment then hang your wash mitt over the side of the bucket. Never drop it in and let it sit.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 07:23 PM   #16
Road Trip!
Regular

Quote:
It seems that when I let mine air dry it looks dusty and not as black. My top was replaced less than a year ago and idk the top is always where I struggle
Old 01-19-2014, 07:46 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Washing your car

Quote:
It seems that when I let mine air dry it looks dusty and not as black. My top was replaced less than a year ago and idk the top is always where I struggle
I see you have a 2003. Not sure what the top is like on those, or what your replacement is like. My 2012 seems like a vinyl material. My 95 T/A is more of a canvas type, and still the original. I used to have an 89 LeBaron. That one was very similar to the 2012 Mustang. The T/A top looks dusty before the Mustang ever would just because of the material, but it's really not a problem here. I see you live in Arizona. I'm sure you are battling dust all the time there. I have a couple nephews living there and I have also been there a few times myself for the November races as well as vacationing last February (rented Mustang convertible). That car got dirtier and dirtier and I was only there 5 days.

Plus I'm sure the sun is just beating on your top...
Old 01-19-2014, 08:45 PM   #18
Road Trip!
Regular

Quote:
I see you have a 2003. Not sure what the top is like on those, or what your replacement is like. My 2012 seems like a vinyl material. My 95 T/A is more of a canvas type, and still the original. I used to have an 89 LeBaron. That one was very similar to the 2012 Mustang. The T/A top looks dusty before the Mustang ever would just because of the material, but it's really not a problem here. I see you live in Arizona. I'm sure you are battling dust all the time there. I have a couple nephews living there and I have also been there a few times myself for the November races as well as vacationing last February (rented Mustang convertible). That car got dirtier and dirtier and I was only there 5 days.

Plus I'm sure the sun is just beating on your top...
Yea it's a 2003 but idk what the material is called plus your right about the dust because after a week or so you can see a layer of dust.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:18 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by somedopebeats View Post
Try a nice leather shammy, you'll love it!!

I always get cloudy spots when i use microfibers
Agreed!! I use the shammy to dry as well.

1989 LX, 306 with TF top end kit, Anderson N-21 cam, TKO 600 trans with steel splatter shield,full Maximum Motorsports Mustang maximum Grip box, Detroit locker rear end with 31 spline Moser axles. Staggered wheels with Nitto 555 315/35/17 out back.
89GTstanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 09:31 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Car Care - Accessories - Default Category, CarTopsDirect

You can use this or try to find something similar.

1989 LX, 306 with TF top end kit, Anderson N-21 cam, TKO 600 trans with steel splatter shield,full Maximum Motorsports Mustang maximum Grip box, Detroit locker rear end with 31 spline Moser axles. Staggered wheels with Nitto 555 315/35/17 out back.
89GTstanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 01:39 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

I use my air compressor.
bodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 09:22 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PonyBoyV6 View Post
It sounds nuts, but it actually works pretty well. Just kinda cumbersome to lug all around the car. But i figure, less chance of micro scratches on my black paint. So worth the tradeoff!

Pick up some of the turtle wax quick detailer for black paint it hides those small swirl marks
Ntbruncie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 09:34 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Go to autogeek.com
Old 02-07-2014, 10:41 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Go to adams web site and watch his videos. When drying I spray detail spray to speed up the drying process.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Baldeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 05:40 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinister07 View Post

Nothing like a good leaf blower and if you use a gas blower make sure it isnt running to rich because most of them are 2 stroke motors and will blow out oil spots but if you keep it tuned it wont run too rich and you dont have to worry about any oil spots...My gas blower was/is a 10 year old hand me down which works great but when it goes im getting a 4 stroke gas blower or a electric....The 4 strokes you dont have to worry about them blowing out any oil but you wont get the rpm's that you get with a 2 stroke...
Old 02-10-2014, 09:40 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
watch that AMMO NYC guy on YouTube. He's like a car detail savant.

here:
paintmann111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 10:16 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
I use a ton of products from Chemical Guys and microfiber-everything. I've probably racked up $200+ in car detailing products and it's still growing.

Two-bucket method, before my dirty car sees hose water I suds it up by squeezing my mitt out on it, pre-rinse, wash by hand (top to bottom), post-rinse (which actually helps with drying process too), use my hand to fling water beads off, then dry via waffle weave towel. Rims get diablo gel and gerbil brush treatment. Plastics and rubbers get Meguiars ultra shine UV treatment. Rarely I'll tire shine my tires.

My car is opticoated (perm coating) so it doesn't get waxings. I'll quick detail water spots off sometimes or when I miss washing little spots. Now glass... I always say f*ck it so to be continued haha...
Old 02-10-2014, 10:40 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Stangz View Post
I use a ton of products from Chemical Guys and microfiber-everything. I've probably racked up $200+ in car detailing products and it's still growing.

Two-bucket method, before my dirty car sees hose water I suds it up by squeezing my mitt out on it, pre-rinse, wash by hand (top to bottom), post-rinse (which actually helps with drying process too), use my hand to fling water beads off, then dry via waffle weave towel. Rims get diablo gel and gerbil brush treatment. Plastics and rubbers get Meguiars ultra shine UV treatment. Rarely I'll tire shine my tires.

My car is opticoated (perm coating) so it doesn't get waxings. I'll quick detail water spots off sometimes or when I miss washing little spots. Now glass... I always say f*ck it so to be continued haha...

I've wanted to fool around with Chemical Guy products for awhile now. Are they as good as i'm led to believe? I've watched dozens of their videos on youtube, but would recommend any specific products from them? I know they've got a ton.
Old 02-10-2014, 11:03 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I've wanted to fool around with Chemical Guy products for awhile now. Are they as good as i'm led to believe? I've watched dozens of their videos on youtube, but would recommend any specific products from them? I know they've got a ton.
You're right they do have a TON of products. I usually like to shop around for the best of the best for my car, but in the world of car detailing there's so many different brands it's just overwhelming. With that being said, from my own experience, Chemical Guys does make awesome products with very simple advertising and instructions that just get the job done, no hassle.

I use their:

Citrus Wash & Gloss - for maintenance and casual washes. Very sudsy and slick. Smells great too.

Quick Synthetic Detailer - great stuff. Helps with quick touch ups and drying. Synthetic so it's good for red and black cars (no streaking). Smells like HEAVEN. I'll use it just to smell it. Makes the paint really smooth.

Diablo Gel Rim Cleaner - spray it on, let it sit and it really takes off the brake dust. Still have to scrub a little though if it's been a while.

Gerbil Wheel Cleaner - works great with the Diablo gel, gets the rest that Diablo doesn't.

Microfiber Wash Detergent - works great. Bought a new waffle weave drying towel, it ended up scratching in a few spots bad the first use. Thought the towel's design just sucked... Well I bought another waffle weave and this detergent and washed them this weekend. Used both waffle weaves for drying and not one scratch. So it cleans them up nicely. Restores old microfibers too.

---

I plan on trying their HYBRID V7 quick detailer, their foam gun + honeydew foam cleanser, and their fire hose nozzle next. Their prices are really good, pick up some microfibers and buckets with grit guards from them too.
Old 02-12-2014, 12:04 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

I'm probably going to give them a shot this spring. I saw them use Mr. pink or something like that with a foam gun on a Cobra, and it just caked that damn car from top to bottom.
Old 02-12-2014, 12:07 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I'm probably going to give them a shot this spring. I saw them use Mr. pink or something like that with a foam gun on a Cobra, and it just caked that damn car from top to bottom.
I actually watched that video today! I was so shocked I had to pause the video and rewatch it. Crazy sh*t.
Old 02-12-2014, 12:22 AM   #32
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
I always sheet rinse my car. It leaves less water on the car and reduces water spots as well. After that i use a electric leaf blower (going to invest in the master blaster) and a water sprite. Then I go over it with instant detailer and some microfibers.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 12:32 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

What do you guys use to get off bugs? I had a dog of a time trying to scrub those turds off after i made my way back from Wisconsin last year. And seeing as i'll be headed up there in may, i could use some advice on what works best.
Old 02-12-2014, 12:58 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM View Post
I always sheet rinse my car. It leaves less water on the car and reduces water spots as well.
I use this method as well. Discovered it myself, pretty neat.
Old 02-15-2014, 08:37 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I know no one wants to use a brush but I do. I live in an area where there is some sand and a little loose soil. You wash the car and in five minutes its covered in sand again, it sucks. I tried using the wash mitt and the two bucket method and boy was it a huge mistake. Now my car has tons of swirls and scratches even my side mirrors. The sand and dirt are just so hard to get out of the mitts so I'm gonna stick to my brush, had been using it on the mach 1 and that car looked really good. Kinda feel like my 13 car has more swirls and scratches than my 03 mach did.
Red5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing