Good wax for dark blue? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-23-2014, 10:36 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Good wax for dark blue?

Hey guys I'm looking a really good wax for my Kona blue. I want something that will make the metallic paint just pop. Any recommendations?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
fordfan100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2014, 04:02 AM   #2
Abominable Mustang

Regular
Staff

Region: Alaska
Croftgate detailing and cleaning sprays have had great results for me. Meguiars and Mothers are also ones you'll probably hear.

Sent from my HTC One X using Mustang Evolution mobile app
LCA Relocation brackets, AE driveshaft, GT 80mm TB,
Black 18x9/10 2010 GT500 Wheels w/ Nitto NT555s,
Eibach Sportline Springs/shocks & Koni STR.T Struts
WhoDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 04:30 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah I use me quits now just wanted something made for dark colors or metallics

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2014, 05:54 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Meguiars stupid auto correct

Old 01-24-2014, 06:52 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Any good quality carnauba wax will do exactly that. Your not going to find a wax specifically for dark or metallic colors.

1989 LX, 306 with TF top end kit, Anderson N-21 cam, TKO 600 trans with steel splatter shield,full Maximum Motorsports Mustang maximum Grip box, Detroit locker rear end with 31 spline Moser axles. Staggered wheels with Nitto 555 315/35/17 out back.
89GTstanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 07:20 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordfan100 View Post
Hey guys I'm looking a really good wax for my Kona blue. I want something that will make the metallic paint just pop. Any recommendations?

I use Meguiar's Ultimate Compound and Ultimate Polish, with Mother's Carnuba paste on my Sonic Blue GT. You don't want to use any colored wax, at all.

If you're using a quality wax, with a quality compound and polish, your Kona Blue will look like it came from the factory. Here's a guide for proper buffing/waxing.

Detailed Image - Premium Auto Detailing and Car Care Products
Fader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 07:24 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Something I would do if I had a brand new car, I'd wet sand it with 1500,2000,2500 and then buff it with the 3 compounds and give it a mirror showroom shine. Have to be careful with that tho because you can burn thru the paint really easy.

1989 LX, 306 with TF top end kit, Anderson N-21 cam, TKO 600 trans with steel splatter shield,full Maximum Motorsports Mustang maximum Grip box, Detroit locker rear end with 31 spline Moser axles. Staggered wheels with Nitto 555 315/35/17 out back.
Old 01-24-2014, 10:40 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89GTstanger View Post
Something I would do if I had a brand new car, I'd wet sand it with 1500,2000,2500 and then buff it with the 3 compounds and give it a mirror showroom shine. Have to be careful with that tho because you can burn thru the paint really easy.
If the car was brand new, why would you sand it? Also, NEVER sand with anything but wet 3000-grit, unless you want a new paint job. Believe me, the paint on the newer Mustangs is fragile, and paper-thin. I have a hood and fender that need re-painted because of me sanding.
Old 01-24-2014, 10:51 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I know exactly how to sand. I graduated salutatorian as a body teck. I would wet sand it to get the texture out of the paint. Starting with 3000 would not do anything. You have to start with a rougher grit. Ad long as you actually know what your doing then you can wet sand a buff a new car. I happen to know what I'm doing. On a fresh paint job you would normally start wet sanding with either 800 or 1000 depending on how good the clear was laid on and work up from there. If its a real good painter and can lay the clear down wet and smooth you can start with a higher grit. Like I said, need to know what your doing. Just because you can't do it doesn't mean someone else can't either.

Old 01-25-2014, 12:18 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I know exactly how to sand. I graduated salutatorian as a body teck. I would wet sand it to get the texture out of the paint. Starting with 3000 would not do anything. You have to start with a rougher grit. Ad long as you actually know what your doing then you can wet sand a buff a new car. I happen to know what I'm doing. On a fresh paint job you would normally start wet sanding with either 800 or 1000 depending on how good the clear was laid on and work up from there. If its a real good painter and can lay the clear down wet and smooth you can start with a higher grit. Like I said, need to know what your doing. Just because you can't do it doesn't mean someone else can't either.
I get what you're saying. I just don't know why you'd want/need to sand a fresh paint job. Especially since they're sprayed by robots now.

And, since not everyone graduated as a body tech, not everyone would be an expert like you. I'm just suggesting caution, since I made the mistake, using 2k-grit, wet-sanding. Certainly my mistake, but I'd hate like hell to see someone else do what I did.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 01-25-2014, 12:30 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Well of dobit because even tho a new paint job is nice, if you wet sand it and buff it properly it will look like a mirror. Its not for someone that doesn't know how that's for sure.

Old 01-31-2014, 09:54 PM   #12

Region: Georgia
Rather than starting a new thread I thought I'd ask here. What's a good way to remove any excess wax if I've gotten it on the textured plastic surfaces? I'm thinking about trying a stiff toothbrush. But if there's a proven working alternative I'd like to go with that.
Old 01-31-2014, 10:04 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

You can use dawn dish soap which will remove all the wax it touches or you can try too gone. I hear that works well.

Old 02-02-2014, 04:10 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oregon
Collinite wax. This stuff is MAGIC.
Instafire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 10:38 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Montana
Why not try Meguiars Black Wax? It is not a colored wax but is designed for dark colors.
Old 02-04-2014, 04:36 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Thats how I learned how to wetsand a car. I went to college for automotive restoration. Learned how to wetsand and buff paint on a 1953 Studebaker.
66Sprint200 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing