Detailing Black Cars - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-15-2014, 08:10 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Detailing Black Cars

I have a 2014 Black 5.0. It has a good bit of swirls and hairline scratches when I look at it in the direct sunlight. Washing it makes it look worse. Im a newb to waxing and polishing. Can anyone help me out on maybe what to do to get it looking new again?
tigerfan2771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2014, 09:39 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
I'm in the same boat. Got a new 2013 black mustang and barely know how to wash a car right. I need tips for washing and detailing it tooClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1392737954.987457.jpg
Views:	824
Size:	476.1 KB
ID:	148105
DDAintJoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 10:49 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
For any cleaning or detailing info, check out the youtube channel - /DRIVE Clean or AMMO NYC. The guy that does both is awesome. He shows all the tips, tricks, tools and chemicals to use.

/DRIVE CLEAN - YouTube

AMMO NYC - YouTube
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2014, 11:43 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
i have the swirls as well, black cars look classy but are a PITA to maintain
Old 02-18-2014, 12:29 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Definitely check out the Ammo guy. He knows his stuff.

The basics for washing a black car include one general rule. Touch the car as LITTLE as possible. If you have access to a good quality leaf blower or air dryer, use it. Towels will scratch the bajesus out of black paint. Using a polish for fine swirls and microscratches, a glaze to top that, and a good quality wax, that alone will bring back a deep shine and hide most of the microscatches and swirls.

Black cars require a ton of upkeep compared to other colors, if you want the paint looking fresh. I can type for days on end telling you different things for paint correction, but the truth is... Youtube is your friend. As ish said before, the Ammo guy is a detailing Guru. He'll tell you all you need to know.
PonyBoyV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 12:37 PM   #6
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
I can agree with watching the AMMO videos.... Larry really knows his stuff, and the videos aren't like you are a person he is teaching through a video, he shows all the tips and tricks from a personal level.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 12:38 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
I can also type for days ab car detailing. Check this video out, it's a complete wash+dry how-to video featuring a jet black BMW. It's by Chemical Guys and I recommend their products (I've got ab $100-$150 into them already). When you get ab 15 minutes of free time, give it a shot.

Old 02-18-2014, 01:31 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Stangz View Post
I can also type for days ab car detailing. Check this video out, it's a complete wash+dry how-to video featuring a jet black BMW. It's by Chemical Guys and I recommend their products (I've got ab $100-$150 into them already). When you get ab 15 minutes of free time, give it a shot.

I have to stop watching chemical guy videos. Now i want that foam gun.

Very good video as well.
PonyBoyV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 01:44 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PonyBoyV6 View Post
I have to stop watching chemical guy videos. Now i want that foam gun.

Very good video as well.
For $50 it's badass isn't it?! When my tax return gets here I might have to pick one up...
Old 02-18-2014, 05:19 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Watch the Adams videos, just as good as ammo if not better. Plus his products are all American made.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Baldeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 05:34 PM   #11
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldeagle View Post
Watch the Adams videos, just as good as ammo if not better. Plus his products are all American made.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Adams is good, but you can tell that they are a company trying to sell you something. Larry from AMMO truly does care about the people who watch the videos, and doesn't go out of his way to try to sell you stuff.

HID end all thread
Old 02-18-2014, 06:43 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Check out auto geek.net Lots of good info and good products on there. Here is what I would do as I have owned a black 'stand (2012) and this combo works. Its best to have a polisher when doing this.

2 bucket wash
clay the car
Wolfgang swirl remover 2.0
Meguiar's M205
Finish with Blackfire Wet Diamond or Wax/sealant of choice.
AJcruz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 06:04 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Try the quick detailer spray by turtle wax it will say for black cars. I use to use it on my black 2012 it does a amazing job at hiding the swirls
Ntbruncie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 04:29 PM   #14
ME Bloodhound
Staff

This hasn't really been mentioned in this thread yet but for a black car since you are more likely to see small swirl marks and imperfections I would recommend a good sealant over a wax or glaze. The sealant is designed to last a LOT longer than any wax or glaze. Something that eliminates friction and static charge on the paint, so dust is repelled from it rather than sticks to it. This will cut down how many times you have to do the whole wash, clay, polish wax ect....

HID end all thread
Old 02-20-2014, 04:37 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
This hasn't really been mentioned in this thread yet but for a black car since you are more likely to see small swirl marks and imperfections I would recommend a good sealant over a wax or glaze. The sealant is designed to last a LOT longer than any wax or glaze. Something that eliminates friction and static charge on the paint, so dust is repelled from it rather than sticks to it. This will cut down how many times you have to do the whole wash, clay, polish wax ect....
+1

Most sealants last around six months. Wax can be put on top for additional protection and increased aesthetic satisfaction.

Then there's ceramic clear coats... The "permanent" and superior solution to car care on the market right now.
Old 02-21-2014, 11:08 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
The swirls can be removed with swirl remover. By hand or high speed buffer. After u use that rinse the car off with just water to get any of the dryied up swirl remover. If u do it by hand dont put a lot of pressure on the pad. Also do it while car is cool. After rinse dry car with a shammy. Then buy some quick detailer spray wax and spray a section at a time snd wipe with a micro-fider rag. Hope this helps..
Clean98 Gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 11:31 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean98 Gt View Post
The swirls can be removed with swirl remover. By hand or high speed buffer. After u use that rinse the car off with just water to get any of the dryied up swirl remover. If u do it by hand dont put a lot of pressure on the pad. Also do it while car is cool. After rinse dry car with a shammy. Then buy some quick detailer spray wax and spray a section at a time snd wipe with a micro-fider rag. Hope this helps..
I just ordered this kit. I swear the Kona blue color is just as bad as black or close to it when it comes to showing swirl marks and light scratches.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20140222_003129.png
Views:	178
Size:	139.5 KB
ID:	148498

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20140222_003143.png
Views:	179
Size:	158.8 KB
ID:	148499
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing