Dealing with paint scratches & chips. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-12-2014, 09:05 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Dealing with paint scratches & chips.

All

My Sterling Grey 2013 GT has a noticeable scratch and a paint chip on the front end of the car

My question is this, other than touch paint is there anything else I should do when repairing a scratch (i.e. lightly compound the area first; possibly wax at some point after touch up paint, etc.)
84GCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2014, 09:18 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Posting here to follow, I have the same thing. not a bad scratch but looking for best way to get rid of it.
Brembo Pkg, Paxton SC, ID1000's, JMS BAP, Boss IM, JLT CAI, Lund Tuned, Tremec T56 swap, Black Pype Bombs, Pypes LT Headers H-Pipe, McLeod RXT Twin Clutch & LW Flywheel. Alum. DS, MGW Shifter, BMR adj. Panhard, UCA & LCA's, Eibach Pro Damper, Sportline Springs, MMD Louvers, Roush splitters, RTR decklid and surround, CDC Grille, Staggered 20" ACE Alloy Driven, Trufiber Hood.
Sterlingbeast5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 10:19 PM   #3

Wetsand the area smooth, tape off a few inches around it, spray it with your color clear it wet sand with 2000k then compound it, polish it, then in about two weeks to a month wax it.
rolleffintide is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2014, 12:07 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Check out the Langka product. Works with factory touch up paint and smooths the dried touch up area without sanding. Worked well on chips for me. Not so great for scratches as it seems to remove the touch up paint from within the scratch rather than smoothing it. I just filled the scratch using a fine tip artists brush (although it wasn't more than an inch long). Others have mentioned Mr. Colorchip with good results. Look into both.

Here's a youtube vid of Langka. It's a Camaro but still a good demo.
Otis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 08:15 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Guys, thanks for the info! Going to research all a bit more before I attempt the repair.

One thing the guy in the Langka video said that I've been considering is a clear bra, had the 3M product on my old Infinity G35. Worked like a champ, no chips at all.
84GCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 08:37 PM   #6

Region: Indiana
Make sure you've got the areas (paint chip area) feather edged out before you end up touching up the paint. You could blend the paint together if you didn't want to use a touch up in. I've always done it that way but then again I've got my own paint guns and access to a paint booth daily. Wet san with 600 Grit sand paper.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing