Dying a Convertible Top? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-16-2014, 08:15 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Dying a Convertible Top?

Has anyone here actually done it successfully? I would love to dye mine black, but I don't want to screw it up. Obvious solution is to get a new top, but mine is in excellent condition and I don't want to replace a good top. I've seen lots of articles for and against using dye on the top, but I would like to hear from someone who's actually done it or knows someone that has.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395018827.841975.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	162.4 KB
ID:	150889
Looks much better in black!

Chris
crroy71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2014, 08:34 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
I would say It shouldn't be too bad. Clean it real good Prep the whole Car with tape /papeIAM sure they sell paint Specifically For Vinyl . The only Issue I see is getting the part of the roof that Is hidden by the Stripping when the top Is up. Good Luck, Keep us informed.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Borla S-Type stingers, BAMA SCT tuner, K & N Typhoon CAI, Classic Design Concepts light bar, MACH 1 chin spoiler, MACH 1000 w JVC Kvw 500 HU, plastidipped hood scoop, wing & Premium GT rims, painted calipers, 3.73 gears, black Bullitt fuel door, MMD hood struts, sub-frame connectors, SVE uca & lca, Power Stop drilled/slotted rotors
Peterzinyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 08:36 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterzinyou View Post
I would say It shouldn't be too bad. Clean it real good Prep the whole Car with tape /paper IAM sure they sell paint Specifically For Vinyl . The only Issue I see is getting the part of the roof that Is hidden by the Stripping when the top Is up. Good Luck, Keep us informed.

Borla S-Type stingers, BAMA SCT tuner, K & N Typhoon CAI, Classic Design Concepts light bar, MACH 1 chin spoiler, MACH 1000 w JVC Kvw 500 HU, plastidipped hood scoop, wing & Premium GT rims, painted calipers, 3.73 gears, black Bullitt fuel door, MMD hood struts, sub-frame connectors, SVE uca & lca, Power Stop drilled/slotted rotors
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2014, 09:03 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by crroy71 View Post
Has anyone here actually done it successfully? I would love to dye mine black, but I don't want to screw it up. Obvious solution is to get a new top, but mine is in excellent condition and I don't want to replace a good top. I've seen lots of articles for and against using dye on the top, but I would like to hear from someone who's actually done it or knows someone that has.
Attachment 150889
Looks much better in black!

Chris

Did you get a price on replacing the top?
How much will you be saving by going this route?
How durable will the finished product be against the elements or just plain use?
Are you sure you will be satisfied with the outcome of something you are not familiar with?

In the end, will you end up spending more money replacing the top anyway because it didn't turn out to your satisfaction or last?

Just some questions I would have to ask myself first if it were my car.
GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 09:16 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I did get one quote to replace the top, and it was $1000. I don't know the answer to the other questions, which is why I'm researching before I do it. I'd like to find someone who has done it, either successfully or not.

Chris
Old 03-16-2014, 09:25 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I did get one quote to replace the top, and it was $1000. I don't know the answer to the other questions, which is why I'm researching before I do it. I'd like to find someone who has done it, either successfully or not.

Chris

That doesn't sound like a bad price. I had a new top with glass rear window put on an '89 LeBaron I had years ago. I had it done probably late '90s early '00s for $450. I checked on having the cloth top with glass rear window replaced on my '95 T/A I currently own. I had a couple little pinholes in the passenger side blind spot. They really weren't causing a problem but I wanted to price it out. I went to the same place as before about 7 or 8 years ago. They wanted $2500. Needless to say, I am still running the same top, and it hasn't gotten any worse.
Old 03-16-2014, 09:36 PM   #7
Road Trip!
Regular

Region: Arizona
Some guy where I used to work dyed his faded top and it looked horrible
Joser714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 09:50 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I got a quote on my top for $1300, including new top and glass. So a grand aint bad.
Old 03-16-2014, 11:14 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:

Chris
A guy I know did this to his 89gt vert using a dye made by ppg. He went from white to black and the car was never garaged. The only issues he had was after 6 months the spots by the rear quarter panel windows where the top wrinkles when going up and down started bleeding thru. He just touched it up when needed. Do a good prep job and the dye comes out good.
Bigshow14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 11:26 PM   #10
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Region: Georgia
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
I have done it and found a good method for doing it! I'll post the directions I used verbatim when I get back home to my computer. It does wear off in the contact spots, but honestly I park outside, I use automatic car washes, and it's held up pretty good from August to now.
Old 03-17-2014, 06:30 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99ford View Post
I have done it and found a good method for doing it! I'll post the directions I used verbatim when I get back home to my computer. It does wear off in the contact spots, but honestly I park outside, I use automatic car washes, and it's held up pretty good from August to now.

Thanks, that would be great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-23-2014, 12:58 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Thanks, that would be great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just wondering where you are at in your decisions?
Old 03-23-2014, 02:49 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Still at square 1. I did talk to another guy, that has died a convertible top. He gave me some tips, and said he didn't have any trouble and it held up great. I am about to redo the rear brakes, than put on some caster/camber plates. The top is on hold at the moment.

Chris
Old 03-25-2014, 12:14 AM   #14
Staff
Blogger
Staff

This is the method I used to do my top. I skipped over the lacquer thinner and sanding. If you want to follow step by step please let me know how it turned out.

Like I said, I skipped those steps and had a pretty good result. The one thing is you will get wear on the top at the folds. Overall, mine isn't too bad, I did it last August and it now needs a touch up.

It is not a permeant solution, but it's not a bad way to go, if you plan on replacing the top with a different color eventually.

"I've been dying vinyl for a long time and thought I would share my system with you. First and foremost, be patient, don’t rush and don’t skip steps!! Try to pick a relatively dry day, humidity will cause most dyes to blush (develop a white hazy appearance). Try to work in temps between 60 and 80 degrees, if. Use good quality products There are many custom mix products but for those that want to use the rattle can method, Duplicolor will work fine and SEM has more solids so it covers better.
1. Clean everything with detergent and water and dry thoroughly.
2. Sand everything lightly with 400-600 grit sandpaper.
3. Wash everything down with a clean paper towel and lacquer thinner and allow to air dry and wipe with lint free towel or tack rag.
4. Apply 0ne very light coat and allow drying time of 5-10 minutes.
5. Follow with 3-4 light coats, allowing drying between coats, until good coverage is achieved. Do not use heavy wet coats!
6. Follow with 2-4 light coats of clear, allowing drying as above, use the gloss that is appropriate for the job (flat, semi, or gloss).
This system will work on seats, dashes, metal, plastic, vinyl I've used it on steering wheels and it does a great job! The keys are good product, patience and common sense.
This method takes a little time but is well worth it in look and durability. I've developed this system over the last 30+ years in my shop and it works very well."

Link to the original author's post is here: Interior vinyl spray - ChevyTalk --The Social Network for Chevy Fans
Old 03-25-2014, 06:40 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Thank you! I'll let you know how it goes, if/when I decide to tackle it.

Chris
Old 03-27-2014, 12:28 AM   #16
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Quote:
Thank you! I'll let you know how it goes, if/when I decide to tackle it.

Chris
Yeah I need to tackle mine it's just one of those things I haven't felt like doing in a while.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing