Creating a universal guide for redying interior - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-18-2014, 03:15 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Creating a universal guide for redying interior

NOTE: I am typing this on my phone while I am not at home, so that I can save time when I actually get started on the project. Anything in between these brackets: "{ }" are things such as pictures that I will add in later on. This guide is UNDER CONSTRUCTION as of 3/18/14, it is just being posted so that it is safely saved. If you have anything to contribute, please reply! I need someone with the know-how to explain how each interior piece is removed. Preferably with pictures. I will give you credit, of course.)

Some of you might have seen me on the Pre-2005 V6 forums, well I took this here because I figured it's more appropriate. Today, I will be starting on an entire repaint of my interior. I figured it would help everyone if we all came together and compiled some info as a sort of guide for future use. So I will be taking pictures and thoroughly describing the step by step process of redoing one's interior. I'll need your help too, so any contributions to this guide will probably help someone else out in the future. Keep in mind that I am making these steps specifically for a 99-04 mustang, but with very slight modifications I'm sure you could use this for any year model or car. Here we go.

Step one. This step is easy, but will also tell you how much of a pain in the butt this project is going to be. Get an idea of what you want.

For example, this is my car: (2000 V6)

Attachment 151042

As you can tell, it's a red/black theme. I want to match my interior to the exterior, so I'll be doing a mostly black theme with a bit of red. Luckily for me, someone else has already done something similar to what I want. I found this picture amongst these forums.

Attachment 151043

Now, most of our mustangs have a stock two-tone to them already, such as mine is light grey/charcoal. This makes planning a two tone job a lot easier.

Step two. Items you'll need.

Tools:
Flathead screwdriver, cheap - Home Depot, Lowe's, autozone, walmart, etc
Rags - cheap, you probably already have some
Painters tape (the blue crap, although frog tape works better) ~$3 a roll, more for frog tape
Newspaper or whatever kind of paper you have a lot of.
Panel wedge (optional, I'm just using a flathead) $10 autozone

The most asked question it seems is "what paint should I get?"
I'm going to use these:

We'll be using this stuff first, it's adhesive promoter, which some people tend to skip, but it can cause flaking and chips over time if you don't use it: $7
(I noticed some of the cans look different, I think they updated their labels)
Attachment 151047

For vinyl (it's the kind of "squishy" plastic, such as the console lid) and seats/other fabric: ~$7
Attachment 151044

For the hard plastic: ~$6
Attachment 151045

And finally, after everything is painted and before we put anything back in/take off any of the newspaper (when spraying things that don't come out of the car) we will add a few coats of clear for protection:~$8
(You can get this stuff with speckles in it too if you want that)
{can't find an image of the stuff right now, I'll take a pic when I get the can out}

The amount of cans of each you will need will depend on the size of the job. If you're just doing a few pieces, it'll probably just take one can, but if you're redoing everything monochromatic, it may take quite a few.

Now that we've gotten everything together, let's get started.

Step three. Part removal and preparation.

NOTE: use water and a rag to completely clean whatever you are about to spray. Let it dry! Don't use chemicals like armor all or anything to clean them, because they apply a protective film, and that will mess up the project!

I personally will be starting with the small, easy stuff like the vents to test how I will like the color.

Vents are easy to remove, just insert your flathead on the right side between the vent and panel and twist. Then just pull it out. I noticed older, sun-baked vents will break if you aren't careful, but most won't. I am just going to use the hard plastic spray on these instead of all the adhesion promotor and clear coat. These don't get bumped or anything, so chipping won't really happen.

Apply probably 2 coats of the hard plastic spray in your preferred color, amount of coats just depends on if everything covers up well. Paint should be applied at a distance of about 8 inches, you just wanna give them a good dusting. A thick coat of paint will chip in big blocks much easier. With the first coat, you'll know you're doing it right if you can still just barely see some spots of the original color.

My painted vents

The little ring that opens and closes the vents can also be removed and painted, just do the same process as with the vents, except that they hold on to the back square that blocks air when you turn it off. Just unclip that, then insert flathead between it and the panel, and twist. You might want to close your vent before you do this so it doesn't just fall down into the hole. Let the vents and the circle things sit to dry, and we'll move on to the next step.

The panel surrounding the vents can't be removed as far as I can tell, so what you'll want to do is tape the surrounding area off (using generous amounts of paper to protect from overspray) and stick a piece of tissue paper into the back of the closed vent (just to be safe). I'll be using adhesion promoter here, but I think it doesn't really NEED it. Lightly spray 1-2 coats of the promoter on and let it dry. Carefully and lightly spray the hard plastic paint in about 3 coats. On these, you can do as many coats as it takes to get the vibrancy of color you want. Let the panel dry completely.

{again, pic will be here when I take one}

Now that our panels are dry, it's a good idea to reassemble your vents and take a good look at them. Make sure everything looks good and how you want it. Then, give the panel a good 2 layers of clear and let it dry. Put the vents back in, and then I personally covered mine up after reassembling to protect from future overspray on the rest of the project.

Steering Column and dash bezel.
I'm not really prone to messing with my steering column, but for you gearheads that don't mind taking all of the plastic off, skip to the lil arrow.

Use more paper and tape to cover as much of the surrounding area as possible. Overspray could hit your windshield, stereo head unit, anything. So cover these things up very well!

{a pic of my steering column and dash bezel prepped and ready to go}

MAKE SURE that everything is covered. That's my best advice here if you decide not to remove the parts from the car.

-->spray a good 3-4 coats of adhesive promoter onto all parts. The dash bezel doesn't get handled too much, but the steering wheel does, so wheel be doing extra coats of promoter and clear coat just to be safe. (I use a steering wheel cover anyway, but I'm still going to layer it up. Let it sit, then (for the steering wheel, use the vinyl & fabric can, everything else should use the hard plastic) spray a good 4, maybe even 5 layers, depending on the vibrancy in the end result. Remember, more layers makes a thicker skin, and thicker skin cracks easier! These pieces of the interior are where the eyes are drawn to immediately as a driver, so you want to really give them the most attention.

My end result:
{pictures, yo}

Passenger airbag/dash area

{info and stuff, will be typed out soon}

Center console / dash / shifter area

{info! I'll type this soon too}

Plastic kickers (underneath dash, where your feet go.)

{info n junk}

Door panels and handles

{yo yo, infoooo}

Seats

{front and back}

Back plastic moulding/trim around back seats

{info and junk}

Back carpeted area underneath back windshield

{might not even do this unless I can find a way to remove it without having to go staple crazy putting it back in}

http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/f376/t351203/

OfficialMakkyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2014, 03:53 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Care and Maintenance

Anything you've painted and finished, won't be ready for normal wear and tear for a few days. Duplicolor says a week, but it's really up to you on that. I recommend cracking your windows and letting the car sit for as long as you can handle not driving it. That will allow the paint and clear coat to completely settle and dry, and will prevent bleeding in future cleaning.

Cleaning isn't much different than normal, except that I'd recommend not scrubbing the crap out of it. ArmorAll protectant wipes are okay, but not the cleansing wipes or degreasers. That causes the paint to bleed and fade. Just use a terrycloth and some water for normal cleaning, then lightly cover with ArmorAll protectant.

Maintenance (AKA fixing it if you break it)

If you get a big chip or need to do some minor repairs after a while, which you might, grab some sandpaper (not the hard stuff, the thinner the better) and lightly sand off the clear coat surrounding whatever needs a repair. Cover the area with the paint needed to fix it, and then let it dry for a good half an hour, maybe even a full hour, just so it sets in really well. Grab your clear coat and spray 2" MORE than the areas you sanded. This lets the new clear settle in with the old clear.

That's really about everything. Leave a reply and let me know if you need any help. You can message me too.

Old 03-19-2014, 02:12 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

This is the box that I give out credit for helping with the guide.

Guide creator and editor: Mackenzie Roberts AKA OfficialMakkyZ

In-depth instructions on interior part removal: {could be you!}

Also thanks to:
{blah blah people's names and junk}

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2014, 09:40 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

For some reason, I can't edit my posts, so this is being held off until I figure it out

Old 03-21-2014, 10:14 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Region: Massachusetts
I was planning on doing my vents, this post is great man!! But your attachments aren't working. Where did you buy the paint you used or do you have a pic or model number of the paint?
Old 03-21-2014, 10:44 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1395416229.172543.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	670.9 KB
ID:	151377Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1395416385.554995.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	696.7 KB
ID:	151378Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1395416455.458377.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	791.5 KB
ID:	151379Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1395416503.122076.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	728.0 KB
ID:	151381

Here are some things I have remover from my interior. I have done a few more thing like doors and radio dash kit which is the bezel that goes around the vents. I have another question did you say you were going to color you carpets? If so I would love to know how I want to do mine black really bad.
Old 03-21-2014, 11:18 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adogg View Post
Attachment 151377Attachment 151378Attachment 151379Attachment 151381

Here are some things I have remover from my interior. I have done a few more thing like doors and radio dash kit which is the bezel that goes around the vents. I have another question did you say you were going to color you carpets? If so I would love to know how I want to do mine black really bad.

Yeah, the forums won't let me edit the original post to add or fix anything right now, I'm not sure why. Carpets are easy, but take a lot of time because you have to remove the seats. I bought two different brands of paint to test both. I got Duplicolor adhesive promoter, black vinyl and fabric paint, black plastic paint, and clear coat at autozone. $6-$8 a can. I went to walmart and found Krylon plastic paint for about $5, so I tested it on my vents. They turned out good, but the paint is really thick and still kind of sticky after about 3 days. It takes a full week for the paint to really settle in, so I'm giving it time before I post official results. The Duplicolor vinyl and fabric paint can be used on carpets, seats (I'll be doing my back seats and MAYBE front seats, not really necessary since I have seat covers) and any of the softer plastic-risqué things in the car, such as the steering wheel. I painted the head of my steering wheel yesterday and I'm letting it sit. I used a $0.97 bottle of acrylic and a cheap detail brush for the pony emblem before throwing the clear coat on it. Here's a pic I took before finishing the pony completely (needed some edges cleaned a bit)

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395418687.949577.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	365.8 KB
ID:	151384

Old 03-21-2014, 11:21 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

The main question I have is how to remove certain pieces such as the passenger air bag delete, the back carpeting underneath the back windshield, the steering column cover, the back panels that cover seat belts, and the kicker panels (the ones by your feet)

Old 03-21-2014, 12:49 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Wow man that is great work. Do you have a lot of artistic ability or could some one like me do the hand painting the horse. How hard is it to remove all
The steering wheel stuff? If you want man message me I don't want to crowd up your thread with my questions.
Old 03-21-2014, 12:57 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Until I can fix the attachments in the OP, here is a temporary solution:
My car

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395422117.074018.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	313.0 KB
ID:	151390

The interior I'm using as a minor reference

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395424501.134842.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	151392

The vinyl and fabric paint

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395424527.055694.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	145.4 KB
ID:	151393

The plastic paint (rustoleum, not Duplicolor.)

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395424556.066653.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	164.0 KB
ID:	151394

Adhesion promotor

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395424584.094202.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	151395

My vents painted with Krylon (sorry for bad lighting)

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395424601.868999.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	325.5 KB
ID:	151396

The unfinished steering wheel head

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395424633.956998.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	365.8 KB
ID:	151397

Old 03-21-2014, 01:06 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Wow man that is great work. Do you have a lot of artistic ability or could some one like me do the hand painting the horse. How hard is it to remove all
The steering wheel stuff? If you want man message me I don't want to crowd up your thread with my questions.

That's the whole point of this thread, I WANT replies, questions, answers, advice, etc. so that everyone's questions will be answered just by creepin through the thread.

I actually do have artistic ability, and will be applying that ability to some REALLY custom stuff (the passenger airbag delete is just too plain! Hint hint) but the pony isn't difficult as long as you take your time and let each layer of the acrylic paint dry THOROUGHLY even if it means waiting overnight for that one small pony. Haha.

The steering wheel head is the only thing that I have tools to remove. First and MOST IMPORTANTLY! disconnect the battery. That airbag WILL blow in your face if you try to take it out with the battery running power to it. All you have to do is disconnect the negative on the battery. Then, grab a flat head and a socket. Look on either side of the steering wheel and you'll see two hardly noticeable circles. Stick your flathead in the little book, and twist to remove these caps. There is one on each side. Then grab your socket and twist off the bolts that the caps were covering, and the head will practically just fall off. Disconnect the wire from the airbag, and there you go.

From there, if you have the tools you need (unlike me), unscrew the four bolts holding in the horn (the vertical metal bars on both sides) and that will give you access to remove the cruise control switches and handle. then you'll see the big bolt in the middle to disconnect the actual handle part of the wheel.

Bam, now you're thuggin. To take any more out, I know you've gotta have some special tool or something. I'm not too worried about it, as I'm just isolating that one specific area with paper, tape, rags, etc and spraying in-car. Takes about the same amount of work, and it's kinda risky, but I don't want to **** anything up mechanically, so that's what I chose to do. Lol

Old 03-21-2014, 01:56 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Holy **** man beautiful interior!!! And beautiful car your doing a great job. You pretty much done with yours. Did just put that adhesive spray on the carpets before you sprayed them too?
Old 03-21-2014, 02:00 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
I see you went my route
pypes x w/flow 40's, SR CAI, plasti dipped (emblems, stripe, rear decklid, rear valance, cowl vent grille, fuel door, antenna holder), shorty antenna, mach 1 chin spoiler, custom interior trim, blue LED interior lights, more to come later
Mustang81596 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 02:53 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Holy **** man beautiful interior!!! And beautiful car your doing a great job. You pretty much done with yours. Did just put that adhesive spray on the carpets before you sprayed them too?

That's not my interior, that's my reference pic. I've barely started mine haha. The carpets don't need anything but the Duplicolor Vinyl & Fabric paint. They have primer and everything already "built" into the chemicals. Just spray em down good with as many coats as you want (but at minimum 4) to get the level of vibrance you want. (Darker blacks, lighter grays, etc) then let the carpet sit somewhere away from wind, outside of the car for a few days to let everything settle, and you're good!

Old 03-21-2014, 02:55 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang81596 View Post
I see you went my route

Yeah man, gotta be honest, your interior job gave me the idea, then I just started researching. It's been in the back of my mind for a while. The light grey is just unattractive. Not too easy on the eyes. I dig the white though! It's killer

Old 03-21-2014, 03:28 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by OfficialMakkyZ View Post
That's not my interior, that's my reference pic. I've barely started mine haha. The carpets don't need anything but the Duplicolor Vinyl & Fabric paint. They have primer and everything already "built" into the chemicals. Just spray em down good with as many coats as you want (but at minimum 4) to get the level of vibrance you want. (Darker blacks, lighter grays, etc) then let the carpet sit somewhere away from wind, outside of the car for a few days to let everything settle, and you're good!

Ooooo my bad lol but anyways what your saying is I have to pull up the floor carpet to paint? Is that hard to do?
Old 03-21-2014, 09:13 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yeah man, gotta be honest, your interior job gave me the idea, then I just started researching. It's been in the back of my mind for a while. The light grey is just unattractive. Not too easy on the eyes. I dig the white though! It's killer

Yea, I hated my grey with the top down. It was hisious. But thanks man! Are you doing as much as the pic you posted?
pypes x w/flow 40's, SR CAI, plasti dipped (emblems, stripe, rear decklid, rear valance, cowl vent grille, fuel door, antenna holder), shorty antenna, mach 1 chin spoiler, custom interior trim, blue LED interior lights, more to come later
Old 03-21-2014, 11:58 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ooooo my bad lol but anyways what your saying is I have to pull up the floor carpet to paint? Is that hard to do?

Yeah, you'll have to take the seats out, which I'm not 100% sure how to do. It's a long process, I'd check out some YouTube videos if you want to find out more. Luckily my car has dark charcoal carpeting, and I plan on mixing the dark charcoal into my design as well. So that'll make it easier.

Quote:
Yea, I hated my grey with the top down. It was hisious. But thanks man! Are you doing as much as the pic you posted?

Nah, it's a bit much for me. It'll be primarily black with a moderate amount of red splashed in there. Kind of a midway between doing light details, and straight up dousing it like the pic. But that pic has a few good things I'm taking from it.

Old 03-23-2014, 11:06 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1395590617.522822.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	880.8 KB
ID:	151616Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1395590640.798340.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	720.0 KB
ID:	151617
Just did that back seats yesterday I need another can of black to do some touch up. But they look great so far, what do you guys think about me adding dark blue to them? I will add it to where the seats ripple.
Old 03-23-2014, 12:42 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Nice, man. Looking good so far. Post a pic when you finish them, I look forward to it. Does the paint stick well? Is it sticky or anything when it dries? Also, how long did it take to dry?

Took a break from interior last night and plasti dipped my rear decklid and valance.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395596529.476362.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	236.5 KB
ID:	151620

Old 03-23-2014, 12:49 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Nice, man. Looking good so far. Post a pic when you finish them, I look forward to it. Does the paint stick well? Is it sticky or anything when it dries? Also, how long did it take to dry?

Took a break from interior last night and plasti dipped my rear decklid and valance.
Attachment 151620

Thanks man, that paint did a very good job, I did very light coats and it stuck perfectly and I'm no professional. Not sure exactly how long it took to dry but I touched the seats about 5 hours after I finished painting them and they were dry. I still have them drying I'm debating on adding the blue. Any thoughts on that? And that back of your car looks great man.
Old 03-23-2014, 01:50 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

I always recommend custom work, man. Grab a few sheets of paper, tape it all off, and paint something that only YOU will have. I'm going to do a lot of custom work with my interior. Here's my hand painted rims. Did them myself. I've got the whole Decepticon theme going, so I had to. Haha

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395600577.106826.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	179.8 KB
ID:	151625

Old 03-23-2014, 02:19 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Hells yea I'm going for it then man!! I'll post pics
Old 03-23-2014, 06:22 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Hells yea I'm going for it then man!! I'll post pics

I'm stoked to see it! You've got me inspired too! Spent the day doing some plastic trim, the rest of my steering wheel, and my door panels. Pics soon, but here's one of the trim in mid-project. Lol

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395616962.505829.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	456.7 KB
ID:	151650

Old 03-23-2014, 07:31 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Passenger door is done, drivers side is drying.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395621007.270125.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	243.8 KB
ID:	151652

Old 03-23-2014, 07:32 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Steering wheel is done, paint is setting.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395621098.775614.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	349.5 KB
ID:	151653

Old 03-23-2014, 07:57 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Door panels completed. Sorry, it's a bit dark.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395622639.857749.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	299.2 KB
ID:	151654

Old 03-24-2014, 12:07 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Holy ish man!!! Great job, I so wanna do my steering wheel now. Are you using clear coat on the steering wheel and vents? I didn't use clear coat on my back seat should I put some on?
Old 03-24-2014, 12:18 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Holy ish man!!! Great job, I so wanna do my steering wheel now. Are you using clear coat on the steering wheel and vents? I didn't use clear coat on my back seat should I put some on?

Yes use it on your backseat. I have to redo mine because of how often I throw my soccer bag back there. It caused the dye to flake away
Old 03-24-2014, 12:30 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

^^ really?? Is there a special kind of clear coat I should use? And applying clear coat the same as applying the paint?
Old 03-24-2014, 02:52 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

I clear coated everything except the vents. I don't ever mess with them. Lol. If they get messed up too quick or something, I'll clear 'em. I didn't know about clear coating the back seats, I'm curious if there is a specific clear you're supposed to use or is it just the normal spray? Also, with the clear, will they feel all sticky/tacky even after drying?

Old 03-24-2014, 03:21 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I clear coated everything except the vents. I don't ever mess with them. Lol. If they get messed up too quick or something, I'll clear 'em. I didn't know about clear coating the back seats, I'm curious if there is a specific clear you're supposed to use or is it just the normal spray? Also, with the clear, will they feel all sticky/tacky even after drying?

I seen you did it for very cheap. How many coats did you spray? And how many cans did it take you?
Old 03-24-2014, 03:38 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

I was also thinking the same thing, cause right now they feel like regular seat so I might see how they hold up with out it, I never use my back seat and it's not my daily driver so never really have anything back there
Old 03-24-2014, 03:56 PM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

I was also thinking the same thing, cause right now they feel like regular seat so I might see how they hold up with out it, I never use my back seat and it's not my daily driver so never really have anything back there
Old 03-25-2014, 02:10 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I seen you did it for very cheap. How many coats did you spray? And how many cans did it take you?

So far I've used a can and a half of the vinyl stuff (after doing steering wheel and door panels) and about 2 cans of clear. Besides that, I've still got about half a can of everything else. I'm doing 3 adhesion promoter coats, 3-4 paint coats, then 3 coats of clear

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing