3M Tape Application - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-26-2014, 09:36 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
3M Tape Application

So if the USPS tracker online is correct, I'll be receiving my MMD ducktail spoiler tomorrow. I'm excited to get this thing on the car but I have some questions. I want to do this 100% right or not at all.

1. It's going to be about 50 degrees tomorrow. Is that too cold for the bonding of the 3M on the spoiler to take place? Should I use a blow drier or something to warm it up as I apply it?

2. Does anyone have any tips on creating a perfect bond? I heard using a warm dish soap/water solution and then a 50:50 water/rubbing alcohol solution is best to get rid of any dirt and oils that may be on the car before application. Is that all I need to do?

3. I read somewhere not to drive the car for 24 hours after installing something with 3M tape. Is that really necessary considering (a) I don't see how driving the car should adversely affect the tape curing and (b) the spoiler will also be held on with screws, so it's not like it would be able to be knocked loose or something.

4. Any tips on the stock spoiler removal? I was planning on using a chisel or something wrapped in a cloth to wedge underneath the spoiler to pry it off.

Thanks
2014 V6 Base Coupe, Sterling Gray Metallic///3.31 Gears///FP6 Appearance Package///Tech. Package///Reverse Sensing and Security Package///Mods: Boss 302 grille, MMD Ducktail Spoiler, Weathertech Floor Mats, Bassani Axle-Back Exhaust
SixBanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2014, 06:14 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Bump
2014 V6 Base Coupe, Sterling Gray Metallic///3.31 Gears///FP6 Appearance Package///Tech. Package///Reverse Sensing and Security Package///Mods: Boss 302 grille, MMD Ducktail Spoiler, Weathertech Floor Mats, Bassani Axle-Back Exhaust
Old 03-27-2014, 06:26 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
well I cant comment on the 3M part but I can tell you that you heard correct about the rubbing alcohol. it'll get off wax, and dirt and stuff to let you get a good clean spot to mount it to...

srry, but good luck and you better post pics!!
1995 5.0 u/d,cai,t/b,shorty headers,x pipe,flows 40's,373 gears, alum. driveshaft, alum. radiator, shift kit, e-cam, ported upper and lower intake, 100 shot of spray, 2100 stall, black 0304 cobras. suspension: upper and lower control arms, sub frame connecters, and springs all SVE
mystang50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2014, 06:42 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystang50 View Post
well I cant comment on the 3M part but I can tell you that you heard correct about the rubbing alcohol. it'll get off wax, and dirt and stuff to let you get a good clean spot to mount it to...

srry, but good luck and you better post pics!!
Okay that's a good start! Thanks! I'll have to pick some up on my way home tonight.
Old 03-27-2014, 06:45 AM   #5
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
To remove the rear OEM spoiler:

1) Open the trunk and remove the nuts. Close the trunk

2) Have lots of time and paitience with the next step!

3) Using fishing line or dental floss, grab it at both ends, and work your way from the left, and from the right sides of the spoiler to "cut" as much of the existing tape as possible. You're going to reach the point of the bolts, so going inward from the left or right any more than the first mounting bolt will be impossible with the dental floss or fishing line.

4) Run some wide tape along the top edge of the spoiler/trunk lid, then use some PLASTIC bondo type applicators to wedge in between the decklid and spoiler in the center (where the fishing line or dental floss could not reach). The tape will keep the plastic applicators from maring the clear coat (buffs off, but this still helps). Don't use any type of metal! It will scratch and gouge the paint or surface! Use the applicators at the top, and at the bottom, wiggling them in, and to the left and right. This will take awhile. You are doing this to seperate the tape in as much area of the spoiler and deck lid from the center out to the right and left as possible, allowing you to eventually pry up the spoiler from the left and right off of the trunk deck lid.

Be paitient. Many get frustrated with just how strong the existing two sided tape is. Take your time. walk away for a few minutes if need be. The spoiler will eventually come off. The plastic type applicators that are used to spread bondo onto a cars surface are excellent for wedging and prying between the spoiler and the trunk deck surface. They will not damage the paint like a metal object will. I watched someone use a screwdriver once; when the spoiler was removed, he had scrathes all over the decklid. His response was that "no one will see them when I install the new spoiler". Dumb smuck!

As to installation, clean the decklid off (you'll be supprised with how much dirt that can still collect between the spoiler and decklid). Wipe the surface using some alcohol pads (they usually are included with the spoiler; if not, any hardware or auto parts stores have them). On the spoiler sides surface, use some 3M prep pads (again, these should be included), wipe down the area where the 3M automotive grade tape is to be applied. Do not wipe down the trunk surface area with this stuff. It is only used on plastic surfaces to help the tape bond to plastic.

Remove the red part of the 3M tape to expose the sticky side, and set the spoiler down, aligning the bolts over the holes. Be careful not to let the tape touch the surface while you align the spoiler over the bolt holes, as that stuff is sticky! Some folks find it easier to only peel back about 4 inches of the red part of the tape, then position the spoiler onto the deck, then peel back the rest of the red part after the spoiler is installed on the deck.

Press down firmly from the center out to the sides, open the trunk, and install the bolts. DO NOT OVER-TIGHTEN!!! These bolts only need to be snug. Over tightening will make them pull out from the spoiler.

Post a pic here when it's installed.
Old 03-27-2014, 08:11 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Wow great write up bucko! Extremely helpful. That's pretty much all I need to know. I'll get pics up as soon as is installed. Might not be able to do it until tomorrow night though unfortunately.
Old 03-27-2014, 08:18 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SixBanger View Post
Wow great write up bucko! Extremely helpful. That's pretty much all I need to know. I'll get pics up as soon as is installed. Might not be able to do it until tomorrow night though unfortunately.
damn it man...
1995 5.0 u/d,cai,t/b,shorty headers,x pipe,flows 40's,373 gears, alum. driveshaft, alum. radiator, shift kit, e-cam, ported upper and lower intake, 100 shot of spray, 2100 stall, black 0304 cobras. suspension: upper and lower control arms, sub frame connecters, and springs all SVE
mystang50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 11:21 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystang50 View Post
damn it man...

Lol I know I know. I don't have a garage so I was gonna visit my parents tomorrow/Saturday since they do. It's supposed to rain all weekend so I think it'd be best to do it inside.
Old 03-27-2014, 06:09 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Well she made it here in one piece! Mostly at least. There's a very small blemish on the left tip of the spoiler but honestly it's stop small to notice. Otherwise, the paint job is perfect! And no, I didn't sleep with it...yet. Lol Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1395961796.887726.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	519.4 KB
ID:	152084
Old 03-28-2014, 07:02 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah, it's gonna have to wait til tomorrow. Too much to do tonight with exams coming up. Good news is my dad offered to help me so I'll have a second set of hands!
Old 03-28-2014, 08:10 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

3M Tape Application

Old 03-29-2014, 11:59 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Alright bucko, here's your pics!

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1396112383.661774.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	712.6 KB
ID:	152201

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1396112393.967244.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	804.3 KB
ID:	152202
Old 03-29-2014, 08:31 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Looks good!

http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/f376/t351203/

OfficialMakkyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 10:17 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by OfficialMakkyZ View Post
Looks good!
Thanks!
Old 03-30-2014, 08:31 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Okay, here's my next question. I finished the installation at around 1 o'clock yesterday. I have left it sitting in the garage up to this point. I have to drive today, can't do anything about it. Is the 3M good to go? It's also raining and has been for the past several days. Should I be worried?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing