Touch up ideas for rear aluminum MRT louver. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-01-2014, 11:18 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Touch up ideas for rear aluminum MRT louver.

I've recently found a few chips on my aluminum rear window louvers. Anyone have any ideas or thoughts on touch up?
Ali Tabooger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2014, 09:20 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
I don't have your answer, but I have a semi-related question, I figure someone can come on here and answer us both instead of me having to make a whole new thread for it.

I plan on getting AM's MMD Rear Louvers. What's the difference between these and the aluminum ones? Which do you think look better? Are the MMD's pretty tough? (against weather and etc)

http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/f376/t351203/

OfficialMakkyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 12:14 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Is this a black painted louver? Id go with some matte engine enamel. It comes in a spray can, but you can spray it onto a small paintbrush and dap it on the chips. be fast though, matte coats set up quick.
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2014, 12:56 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by OfficialMakkyZ View Post
I don't have your answer, but I have a semi-related question, I figure someone can come on here and answer us both instead of me having to make a whole new thread for it.

I plan on getting AM's MMD Rear Louvers. What's the difference between these and the aluminum ones? Which do you think look better? Are the MMD's pretty tough? (against weather and etc)
Some like the abs plastic look and others prefer the aluminum. I'm not sure but I believe you need to use a ratchet to remove the ABS from the window for cleaning and the whole thing comes off. The aluminum is hinged, has 2 clips at the bottom, and uses prop rods to hold it up for cleaning.

Some people have complained about the aluminum rattle. Ive also heard complaints about the ABS rattle. Ive never had that problem with speeds over 150... They've been solid.

My only concern with ABS would be with sun fade over time. The aluminum ones are powder coated and still look brand new... except for those few chips from flying rocks... Someone was blowing debris in to the street with a massive parking lot blower.

It really depends on your preference. Plastic look vs aluminum look. Ive also seen some painted to match the car.
Old 04-02-2014, 01:01 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks Fox. Yes, its the painted powder coat kind. Ill give that a try.
Old 04-03-2014, 03:19 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali Tabooger View Post
Thanks Fox. Yes, its the painted powder coat kind. Ill give that a try.

Take them off and have them powder coated. That what I was going to do with the set I had.
Ntbruncie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 09:43 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
I think the MRTs are a satin finish, not a matte black. You may want to check with a body shop and get a quote. If you are good at spray painting, a can of good automotive paint in a can may be your best bet.
Bear376 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing