Mustang Evolution Forum banner

do micro fiber towels cause paint swirls?

3K views 37 replies 11 participants last post by  2 Stangz 
#1 ·
Hi Folks, My older V6 2103 Coupe in Grabber Blue seemed to have paint swirls when it came back from the dealers "enviro-seal" company. I had that removed and put TST "Teflon" treatment on it. But the swirls would come back.

I traded it in on a newer 2013 GT in grabber blue, had TST put on it. I was cleaning some of my finger smudges off with a micro fiber towel and noticed just a few places where swirls were starting to happen again. Turtle wax used to have the softest towels called "ICE" but they don't seem to make them any more. All the others stick to your skin. I never use a dirty towel and once one hits the ground or other dirty place its off to oil rag duty for them.

What spray on detailers do you folks know work the best. I have been using the turtle wax detailer, perhaps it it the cause of these, or is it just the paint on these things?

#3 · (Edited)
is OPTI-Coat really able to be put on by non-pros? It would seem if I put too much on, just like paint, I could cause runs, dips, or errors. I didn't see any USA shops listed on their NL website. Being it has to cure, it would need put on in a paint booth type of clean environment would it not?

#6 · (Edited)
With 5K on the paint, I have not put clay on it. It has come out of the Detail shop with the teflon TST sealant about 2 weeks ago. It is garaged and wont see winter like my last Mustang. I noted maybe 2 or 3 curved lines that in time may become swirls after I detailed sprayed the ICE detailer on it and micro fiber cloth the area I had my stupid hands on while putting in the red-line hood struts.

As this is my second chance with the Ford Grabber Blue paint, I am wondering if what I use to detail it with is actually causing the issues? I put all my old cloths in a bag last year after washing them. I so far have only used brand new Meguiars micro towels and drier camious. I am almost thinking I should retire the micro towels once used to donate to schools for car washes?

I just got Mequairs detail spray to use instead of the ICE in case that was the cause.

#7 ·
In answer to your question, yes, microfiber can scratch your paint. Also, the mileage on your vehicle shouldn't dictate if you clay it or not. I have washed and clayed every car I buy the day it comes home. My Mustang was in the driveway only two hours before I completely detailed the car to my standards. That also included pulling out the Porter Cable DA polisher for the hood and trunk.

I polished a car many years ago and the paint looked fantastic for many years. Something changed and I couldn't put my finger on what I changed because the paint wasn't looking so great and I couldn't seem to get it back to perfect. After analyzing my tools, products and towels, I came to the conclusion that 100% cotton is the way to go and get rid of the micro fiber that I started using. I also now use a Griot's Garage waffle towel for drying and the paint has remained looking great.

#16 · (Edited)
My Mustang was in the driveway only two hours before I completely detailed the car to my standards. That also included pulling out the Porter Cable DA polisher for the hood and trunk.
that's what I paid the TST shop to do, and use their Teflon sealant/polish.

I also now use a Griot's Garage waffle towel for drying and the paint has remained looking great.
I used the McG's waffle towel once since the sealant/polish at the detail shop.

http://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-Wate...8&qid=1396964583&sr=8-1&keywords=waffle+towel

#8 ·
Anytime you touch your paint you put micro swirls into it, it is simply what you use that reduces the amount and severity of swirls you put in. Clean and properly cared for microfibers and terry cloth/cotton towels are the absolute best thing you can use when wiping anything on the car.

How do you wash your towels?

#17 ·
Cotton towels will not scratch as long as they are 100% cotton. The cotton blends can scratch. I've used cotton towels forever without scratches so if yours are scratching, you're doing something wrong.

#18 · (Edited)
Only use high quality microfibers, the premium plush double-sided ones work even better for reducing swirls (I use Chemical Guys). Make sure to wash them with a microfiber detergent (NO fab softener/sheets) on lowest heat setting then air dry.

I suggest Opti Coat. Yes as soccrluvr4 said every time you touch your paint you get micro marring. Not the case with OptiCoat. I can dust my whole pollenated car down with one of those Walmart cali dusters and not a singe mar, OptiCoat just cures so hard (3x harder then factory clear coat).

Btw there are many OptiCoat 2.0 and Pro (I've had both try to get Pro) authorized installers in the US. Since your paint is new, not much prep should be required.

#19 ·
Thanks, the past Turtle-Wax ICE plush micro fiber was like that, double sided, soft as a baby's bottom. Yes I will have to look into special microfiber detergent. I'll look into US dealers, but none were listed on OPTI-Coat's sites.

#23 ·
Haven't used Turtle Wax but I use+love Chemical Guys Hybrid V7 detailer. Opti Coat's gloss is very high and hard to beat, and I tried several products with no success. I was surprised when I got V7, it was able to boost the already high gloss on my Opti Coat. I use it on everything too, paint, glass, lenses, my MacBook, my iPhone, etc. Smells great too.

#24 ·
My big worry on self application of Opti-Coat Pro is that it needs to cure, which means a clean room/paint dryer type of curing room to have the car parked in. And that of making sure you dont get streaks, or dips etc like putting on paint.

#29 ·
Opti Coat 2.0 is an amazing product. I carry this stuff and also install it as well as the pro version. The first thing I do when I get a new vehicle is to apply Opti Coat. It does make the paint more scratch resistant, bugs, road grime and bird bombs are easier to remove and you don't have to apply any wax if you don't want to. Nothing will last very long on top of Opti Coat because it won't bond well. If anyone has any questions on this product, feel free to ask. I've been using OC for years and I was actually one of the beta testers before the product was even released.

As far as towels, we use nothing but microfiber. Good quality microfibers will not scratch. You want to make sure you are getting all of the dirt off your paint before you dry. I like to use 2 towels to dry with, I use a large waffle weave or microfiber drying towel for the first pass and leave a little moisture behind and then follow up with a smaller towel.

#30 ·
...<sniop> You want to make sure you are getting all of the dirt off your paint before you dry. I like to use 2 towels to dry with, I use a large waffle weave or microfiber drying towel for the first pass and leave a little moisture behind and then follow up with a smaller towel.
Thanks for the positive info. Sounds like I need the OPTI-coat on before the vinyl. Yes I have always done the above 2 steps to dry.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.