do micro fiber towels cause paint swirls? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-07-2014, 01:22 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
do micro fiber towels cause paint swirls?

Hi Folks, My older V6 2103 Coupe in Grabber Blue seemed to have paint swirls when it came back from the dealers "enviro-seal" company. I had that removed and put TST "Teflon" treatment on it. But the swirls would come back.

I traded it in on a newer 2013 GT in grabber blue, had TST put on it. I was cleaning some of my finger smudges off with a micro fiber towel and noticed just a few places where swirls were starting to happen again. Turtle wax used to have the softest towels called "ICE" but they don't seem to make them any more. All the others stick to your skin. I never use a dirty towel and once one hits the ground or other dirty place its off to oil rag duty for them.

What spray on detailers do you folks know work the best. I have been using the turtle wax detailer, perhaps it it the cause of these, or is it just the paint on these things?
ArtU is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2014, 01:27 PM   #2
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Look into opticoat

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 01:37 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

is OPTI-Coat really able to be put on by non-pros? It would seem if I put too much on, just like paint, I could cause runs, dips, or errors. I didn't see any USA shops listed on their NL website. Being it has to cure, it would need put on in a paint booth type of clean environment would it not?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2014, 01:45 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Your paint has to be perfect in order to apply opti coat that's what I have heard. So you would have to wash it, clay it, polish it to remove micro scratches and imperfections and then apply opti coat
Frozen Yettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 02:15 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Have you tried a good clay and polish? Reason I ask is detail sprays and wax can hide and fill in minor swirls and scratches but overtime they come back as the wax degrades.
Ali Tabooger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 02:35 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali Tabooger View Post
Have you tried a good clay and polish? Reason I ask is detail sprays and wax can hide and fill in minor swirls and scratches but overtime they come back as the wax degrades.
With 5K on the paint, I have not put clay on it. It has come out of the Detail shop with the teflon TST sealant about 2 weeks ago. It is garaged and wont see winter like my last Mustang. I noted maybe 2 or 3 curved lines that in time may become swirls after I detailed sprayed the ICE detailer on it and micro fiber cloth the area I had my stupid hands on while putting in the red-line hood struts.

As this is my second chance with the Ford Grabber Blue paint, I am wondering if what I use to detail it with is actually causing the issues? I put all my old cloths in a bag last year after washing them. I so far have only used brand new Meguiars micro towels and drier camious. I am almost thinking I should retire the micro towels once used to donate to schools for car washes?

I just got Mequairs detail spray to use instead of the ICE in case that was the cause.
Old 04-07-2014, 11:14 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
In answer to your question, yes, microfiber can scratch your paint. Also, the mileage on your vehicle shouldn't dictate if you clay it or not. I have washed and clayed every car I buy the day it comes home. My Mustang was in the driveway only two hours before I completely detailed the car to my standards. That also included pulling out the Porter Cable DA polisher for the hood and trunk.

I polished a car many years ago and the paint looked fantastic for many years. Something changed and I couldn't put my finger on what I changed because the paint wasn't looking so great and I couldn't seem to get it back to perfect. After analyzing my tools, products and towels, I came to the conclusion that 100% cotton is the way to go and get rid of the micro fiber that I started using. I also now use a Griot's Garage waffle towel for drying and the paint has remained looking great.
Old 04-07-2014, 11:18 PM   #8
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Anytime you touch your paint you put micro swirls into it, it is simply what you use that reduces the amount and severity of swirls you put in. Clean and properly cared for microfibers and terry cloth/cotton towels are the absolute best thing you can use when wiping anything on the car.

How do you wash your towels?

HID end all thread
Old 04-07-2014, 11:21 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for the post. Great information.
texaskilowatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 11:59 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mexico
lol shii I take the brush at the car wash and scrub my car down lol paint looks great
FullyAutomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 12:26 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
That's weird... I use Chemical guys Nano Polish and Extreme Sealant/wax and never had white wax marks on any of my flat vinyl or plastic pieces.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1396934750.737647.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	664.0 KB
ID:	153230
Ali Tabooger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 12:46 AM   #12
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali Tabooger View Post
That's weird... I use Chemical guys Nano Polish and Extreme Sealant/wax and never had white wax marks on any of my flat vinyl or plastic pieces.

Attachment 153230
It depends on the type of wax. A pure caranuba is going to leave white marks. Something that is synthetic based will be less likely to.

HID end all thread
Old 04-08-2014, 01:24 AM   #13
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Cotton towels.....hell no. Those will scratch the **** outta your paint.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 08:07 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Just watch the Adams videos on how to clean your car also great products. Or watch Ammo videos they both know how to wash a car.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Baldeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 08:38 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
<snip> How do you wash your towels?
I was doing it maybe a bad way. IN the washer with regular liquid laundry soap (SUN) , and then dry on easy-care low-med heat.
Old 04-08-2014, 08:40 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmoyer View Post
My Mustang was in the driveway only two hours before I completely detailed the car to my standards. That also included pulling out the Porter Cable DA polisher for the hood and trunk.
that's what I paid the TST shop to do, and use their Teflon sealant/polish.

Quote:
I also now use a Griot's Garage waffle towel for drying and the paint has remained looking great.
I used the McG's waffle towel once since the sealant/polish at the detail shop.

http://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-Water...s=waffle+towel
Old 04-08-2014, 08:55 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM View Post
Cotton towels.....hell no. Those will scratch the **** outta your paint.
Cotton towels will not scratch as long as they are 100% cotton. The cotton blends can scratch. I've used cotton towels forever without scratches so if yours are scratching, you're doing something wrong.
Old 04-08-2014, 09:17 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Only use high quality microfibers, the premium plush double-sided ones work even better for reducing swirls (I use Chemical Guys). Make sure to wash them with a microfiber detergent (NO fab softener/sheets) on lowest heat setting then air dry.

I suggest Opti Coat. Yes as soccrluvr4 said every time you touch your paint you get micro marring. Not the case with OptiCoat. I can dust my whole pollenated car down with one of those Walmart cali dusters and not a singe mar, OptiCoat just cures so hard (3x harder then factory clear coat).

Btw there are many OptiCoat 2.0 and Pro (I've had both try to get Pro) authorized installers in the US. Since your paint is new, not much prep should be required.
Old 04-08-2014, 09:34 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Stangz View Post
Only use high quality microfibers, the premium plush double-sided ones work even better for reducing swirls (I use Chemical Guys). Make sure to wash them with a microfiber detergent (NO fab softener/sheets) on lowest heat setting then air dry.

I suggest Opti Coat. Yes as soccrluvr4 said every time you touch your paint you get micro marring. Not the case with OptiCoat. I can dust my whole pollenated car down with one of those Walmart cali dusters and not a singe mar, OptiCoat just cures so hard (3x harder then factory clear coat).

Btw there are many OptiCoat 2.0 and Pro (I've had both try to get Pro) authorized installers in the US. Since your paint is new, not much prep should be required.
Thanks, the past Turtle-Wax ICE plush micro fiber was like that, double sided, soft as a baby's bottom. Yes I will have to look into special microfiber detergent. I'll look into US dealers, but none were listed on OPTI-Coat's sites.
Old 04-08-2014, 09:40 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

In what state are you located? I can ask my detailer (he's an authorized Optimum installer) if there's any in your area.
Old 04-08-2014, 09:41 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
In what state are you located? I can ask my detailer (he's an authorized Optimum installer) if there's any in your area.
I am in Northwest Ohio.
Old 04-08-2014, 09:51 AM   #22
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmoyer View Post
Cotton towels will not scratch as long as they are 100% cotton. The cotton blends can scratch. I've used cotton towels forever without scratches so if yours are scratching, you're doing something wrong.
To each his own but I will never use a cotton towel on my car.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 10:07 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Haven't used Turtle Wax but I use+love Chemical Guys Hybrid V7 detailer. Opti Coat's gloss is very high and hard to beat, and I tried several products with no success. I was surprised when I got V7, it was able to boost the already high gloss on my Opti Coat. I use it on everything too, paint, glass, lenses, my MacBook, my iPhone, etc. Smells great too.
Old 04-08-2014, 10:38 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Haven't used Turtle Wax but I use+love Chemical Guys Hybrid V7 detailer. Opti Coat's gloss is very high and hard to beat, and I tried several products with no success. I was surprised when I got V7, it was able to boost the already high gloss on my Opti Coat. I use it on everything too, paint, glass, lenses, my MacBook, my iPhone, etc. Smells great too.
My big worry on self application of Opti-Coat Pro is that it needs to cure, which means a clean room/paint dryer type of curing room to have the car parked in. And that of making sure you dont get streaks, or dips etc like putting on paint.
Old 04-08-2014, 11:12 AM   #25
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:

On a side note.... How well does Opti-coat protect against rock chips on the highway?

HID end all thread
Old 04-08-2014, 03:17 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Didn't mean to make these posts long - should be a good read though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtU View Post
My big worry on self application of Opti-Coat Pro is that it needs to cure, which means a clean room/paint dryer type of curing room to have the car parked in. And that of making sure you dont get streaks, or dips etc like putting on paint.
Opti Coat 2.0 is supposed to be user-friendly. It can be done in either a closed/open garage. Initial curing (flashing) happens quite fast (dust isn't an issue). Post-curing happens in a 3-6 month period via heat (resin has to dry out - also makes the coating harder as it cures). Just don't get it wet within the first hour. Water/mist/quick detailer is okay, as long as it's wiped clean or very light mist in the morning. After a week you can use hard chemicals and wash (general rule of thumb). YouTube/forums can show you what errors to look for.

Opti Coat Pro is definitely a better investment, but only available to authorized installers and cures VERY fast (may give the pros a hard time too).

Quote:
On a side note.... How well does Opti-coat protect against rock chips on the highway?
Can't answer that, don't frequent the hwy enough + avoid rockthrow situations. During the first wash, I dropped the hose (2-3ft drop) on the hood during a rinse. Bare metal hose head with the weight of the water slammed the hood (loud noise). Not even a scratch (micro-marring, maybe, didn't check).

After 5 days, the used Opti Coat applicator pad becomes rock-solid (you have to throw it out). Imagine that coating being rock-solid on your paint.
Old 04-08-2014, 03:30 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

How about vinyl stripes? Opti-coat 2.0 before or after? would flat vinyl stay flat?
Sorry for asking a lot but your are providing good info, thank you.
Old 04-08-2014, 03:44 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

You can definitely apply vinyl or protective films on Opti Coat like normal paint.

No problem, keep 'em coming if necessary.
Old 04-08-2014, 08:41 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Opti Coat 2.0 is an amazing product. I carry this stuff and also install it as well as the pro version. The first thing I do when I get a new vehicle is to apply Opti Coat. It does make the paint more scratch resistant, bugs, road grime and bird bombs are easier to remove and you don't have to apply any wax if you don't want to. Nothing will last very long on top of Opti Coat because it won't bond well. If anyone has any questions on this product, feel free to ask. I've been using OC for years and I was actually one of the beta testers before the product was even released.

As far as towels, we use nothing but microfiber. Good quality microfibers will not scratch. You want to make sure you are getting all of the dirt off your paint before you dry. I like to use 2 towels to dry with, I use a large waffle weave or microfiber drying towel for the first pass and leave a little moisture behind and then follow up with a smaller towel.
ObsessiveDetail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 08:53 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsessiveDetail View Post
...<sniop> You want to make sure you are getting all of the dirt off your paint before you dry. I like to use 2 towels to dry with, I use a large waffle weave or microfiber drying towel for the first pass and leave a little moisture behind and then follow up with a smaller towel.
Thanks for the positive info. Sounds like I need the OPTI-coat on before the vinyl. Yes I have always done the above 2 steps to dry.
Old 04-09-2014, 08:02 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

There's your guy^ An authorized installer himself.

+1 to the two-towel drying method, I also use Hybrid V7 in combination to dry even faster and extra lubrication.
Old 04-09-2014, 08:30 PM   #32
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Didn't mean to make these posts long - should be a good read though.

Opti Coat 2.0 is supposed to be user-friendly. It can be done in either a closed/open garage. Initial curing (flashing) happens quite fast (dust isn't an issue). Post-curing happens in a 3-6 month period via heat (resin has to dry out - also makes the coating harder as it cures). Just don't get it wet within the first hour. Water/mist/quick detailer is okay, as long as it's wiped clean or very light mist in the morning. After a week you can use hard chemicals and wash (general rule of thumb). YouTube/forums can show you what errors to look for.

Opti Coat Pro is definitely a better investment, but only available to authorized installers and cures VERY fast (may give the pros a hard time too).

Can't answer that, don't frequent the hwy enough + avoid rockthrow situations. During the first wash, I dropped the hose (2-3ft drop) on the hood during a rinse. Bare metal hose head with the weight of the water slammed the hood (loud noise). Not even a scratch (micro-marring, maybe, didn't check).

After 5 days, the used Opti Coat applicator pad becomes rock-solid (you have to throw it out). Imagine that coating being rock-solid on your paint.
Ok cause most of my driving is highway.... Well its about a 2 hour drive to my house from school once a month, and then a few days later another 2 hours back, then its around another month or so. Small driving around town but nothing much. Just wondering if it would be smart to when I eventually get Opticoat if i should clear bra some of it as well.

HID end all thread
Old 04-09-2014, 08:42 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Ok cause most of my driving is highway.... Well its about a 2 hour drive to my house from school once a month, and then a few days later another 2 hours back, then its around another month or so. Small driving around town but nothing much. Just wondering if it would be smart to when I eventually get Opticoat if i should clear bra some of it as well.
Let me know when you are ready to order some Opti Coat, I will give members here 15% off on Opti Coat 2.0.
ObsessiveDetail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 08:44 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Clear bra would be a great addition regardless if you have Opti Coat or not. I remember months back someone scratched the sh*t out of your paint, hope you get it all fixed up and shinin'.
Old 04-09-2014, 08:46 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsessiveDetail View Post
Let me know when you are ready to order some Opti Coat, I will give members here 15% off on Opti Coat 2.0.
Could be wrong, but I believe sales-related posts are only allowed for paying site sponsors. You may have to keep posts like this to private messages only.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing