Cleaning and wax - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-25-2014, 09:10 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Cleaning and wax

Alright boys, my 14' black gt was delivered this past Saturday. It exceeds my expectations tremendously. Such a sick car. However, the pollen is starting to take a toll on my baby girl. I've seen many black mustangs with swirl marks. How would you all recommend washing it? I've heard microfiber is the only way to go. I've also heard maguire's wax was the real deal. Just wanted to hear your opinions. Thanks guys!!
BlackFiveOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2014, 09:26 PM   #2
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
2 bucket method with microfiber towels to wash & dry.

Clay bar it

I prefer Chemical Guys, but Meguiars is good also.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 07:54 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Get it opti-coated the first thing tomorrow if you don't wanna see swirls or light scratches!

|| BlackOnBlack ||
bazinga11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2014, 09:19 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
I use the California duster which works well to get the pollen off without swirl marks. I also use the waterless chemical guys wash with impressive results.

Sent from my HTC One X using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Competition Auto Dyno 93Race Tune, Flowmaster Outlaw Axle-Back, JLT Oil Separator, Barton Two-Post Shifter, Airaid CAI, BMR LCA w/relocation bracket, SR Performance Adj Panhard Bar, Whiteline Panhard Bar Support Brace, MM camber plates, Koni STR Shocks/Struts, Steeda Ultralight Springs. Future Mods: aluminum Driveshaft, Barton short throw shifter, BMR adj UCA, long tubes/H-Pipe
2014GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 09:31 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazinga11 View Post
Get it opti-coated the first thing tomorrow if you don't wanna see swirls or light scratches!

|| BlackOnBlack ||

I was doing some reading on Opti-Coat. It sounds like it leaves the surface very sticky instead of smooth and slippery like wax. Do you have it on your car? If so, what can you tell us about it?
GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 07:38 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberMeBlue View Post
I was doing some reading on Opti-Coat. It sounds like it leaves the surface very sticky instead of smooth and slippery like wax. Do you have it on your car? If so, what can you tell us about it?
I personally don't have opti coat on; just information I've gained by searching countless threads. Either way, if you're not happy with opti coat- get some other ceramic sealant. CQ quartz is one of them. I also came across detailer's choice paint coating'. Its basically super easy to apply since it comes in a spray bottle. Check autogeek.net, they have wealth of knowledge up there.

|| BlackOnBlack ||
bazinga11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 07:44 PM   #7
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Quote:

2 Stangz does

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 07:46 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
2 Stangz does

Paging 2 Stangz.....Input?
Old 05-07-2014, 02:43 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
interesting
anoa324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 03:05 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazinga11 View Post

|| BlackOnBlack ||
This man knows the TRUTH!

Quote:
Haha, it's funny you've brought that up, because lately I haven't been able to keep my fingers off my car. It is very soft and smooth, even when a little dirty I'll still test it. I'd imagine on bare paint that'd be a bad idea but since Opti Coat cures so hard I don't worry ab it, and if it does mar a little it's worth it because it's so smooth, haha.
Old 05-07-2014, 08:14 PM   #11
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
Don't ever wipe pollen off your car. The only way to get rid of it without scratching is to agitate it with soap and water. Even if you hose it down with water and dry it with micro fiber you are scratching it. Just water will make it worse.

This read will change your mind about how you choose to deal with pollen.
Safely Removing Pollen Will Save Your Paint | Ask a Pro Blog
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 10:11 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM View Post
Don't ever wipe pollen off your car. The only way to get rid of it without scratching is to agitate it with soap and water. Even if you hose it down with water and dry it with micro fiber you are scratching it. Just water will make it worse.

Good information here, I park under a tree that turns my white car yellow from pollen. I wiped it with a dry cloth a few times. My daughter asked me what it was and I told her it's tree poop!

Sent from my SM-N900R4 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
WadeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 11:31 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Quote:

Very nice read, I'd recommend it as well.

I experimented with using a Cali duster and it didn't seem to micromar at all, but then again I don't have a normal finish on my paint. I also tried using a quick detailer with a plush premium microfiber and I didn't like that at all.
Old 05-08-2014, 07:50 AM   #14
Regular
Supporter

I stopped using my Cali duster. It can scratch the paint as well. I know some people say they have never had issue with their Cali duster but that's their opinion. If my car is dusty,I will wash it. If it has a tiny bit of dust I may use a detail spray and a microfiber. I also keep a cover on my car when in the garage.
Old 05-08-2014, 08:24 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:

I have used a cali duster for year and have not had an issue with pollen scratches. I believe it may be because of my weekly wash, polish and wax routine. That being said that was a good read and I think I'm going to toss the cali duster and wash the car more. I actually enjoy hand washing her so I don't mind.

Sent from my HTC One X using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Competition Auto Dyno 93Race Tune, Flowmaster Outlaw Axle-Back, JLT Oil Separator, Barton Two-Post Shifter, Airaid CAI, BMR LCA w/relocation bracket, SR Performance Adj Panhard Bar, Whiteline Panhard Bar Support Brace, MM camber plates, Koni STR Shocks/Struts, Steeda Ultralight Springs. Future Mods: aluminum Driveshaft, Barton short throw shifter, BMR adj UCA, long tubes/H-Pipe
2014GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 09:03 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I stopped using my Cali duster. It can scratch the paint as well. I know some people say they have never had issue with their Cali duster but that's their opinion. If my car is dusty,I will wash it. If it has a tiny bit of dust I may use a detail spray and a microfiber. I also keep a cover on my car when in the garage.
Don't mean to be a nit pick but a car cover can do just as much damage as the cali duster.
GreatWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 06:42 PM   #17
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatWhite View Post
Don't mean to be a nit pick but a car cover can do just as much damage as the cali duster.
That's a great point for those who don't know and of course it can scratch your paint. This is why you buy a quality car cover and skip the walmart brand.
Old 05-11-2014, 08:41 PM   #18

Region: Illinois
I park under a car port. What dust cover would you recommend for an application where the car may get a little rain on it?
tsores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 01:13 AM   #19
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsores View Post
I park under a car port. What dust cover would you recommend for an application where the car may get a little rain on it?
You can find many weather proof car covers. Google it. I have never looked at any of those since I've always had a garage but they do make them.

California Car Cover Company - Car Cover Materials
Old 05-23-2014, 10:37 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Tonight when I washed my car, I washed the top, back window, trunk, rear and quarters, then doors and side windows, then dried rear window, trunk, rear and quarters. Then I washed the windshield, hood and fenders. Then I dried the doors. Next I washed the front end. Then I dried the windshield, hood, fenders and front end. Was able to keep from getting water softener spots doing it that way without rushing through the whole process.
Old 05-25-2014, 12:18 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
There are some pretty good detailing videos you can watch on youtube from Junkman and Larry from AMMONYC. Both are very good detailers and both have very informative how-to's
iMpact32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 01:06 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
I know this an old thread but seeing how a product I just purchased is in here I thought I'd ask my question in here. I see they recommend using the California duster on pollen but how about good old dust? I live in AZ and I between washes which are usually every weekend or every other weekend my car gets dusty. Is it safe to use it? Haven't opened the package yet and I'm okay with taking it back. Was just looking for something to get the dust off in lnbetween washes.
Cooolbreeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 09:42 AM   #23

Uses REJEX POLYMER FINISH seals it all and the wipe downs do not damage paint. Like putting more clear coat on. Do it every 3 months

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Island Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing