CL detail service - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-07-2014, 01:35 AM   #1
Road Trip!
Regular

Region: Arizona
CL detail service

I see a lot of "detailers" on craigslist posting their services for around $60. From reading on the AG website a full detail job takes a while and $60 seems too low. What are some key questions to ask so I don't have some random guy with armor all stuff rolling by . Will be working on a "lowrider" regal not my ghetto mustang
Joser714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2014, 02:15 PM   #2
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
I didn't understand the lowrider comment. Are you saying they don't know how to take cars of their cars? You are completely off if thats what you meant.

Anyways....Do you detail your own car?

Ask them what kind of products they use. This should tell you right off the bat if they are serious or not.

Ask them to break down their detail process from start to finish meaning wash to their finishing process.

Ask questions like: Do you use the 2 bucket system during the washing process? Do you use separate mitts for paint and wheels? What type of drying method do you use? (They could say air,chamois,waffle weave or microfiber)

Ask them to break down their polishing process,what products they use and their methods of application. Also ask what machine they use to apply their materials.

Ask them what their full detail package includes.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 02:22 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
^All great questions. My buddy down the road who owns his own very successful detailing company charges $200 just for a detail. I paid him $400 for a full paint correction (full buff on entire exterior, so scratches, swirls, scuffs, etc.). His prices are definitely affordable.

$60 sounds too cheap.
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2014, 02:36 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I thought 200-250 was fair for paint correction , but I guess it depends the car and the condition of the car. if its just swirl makes and light scratches I think 400$ is a lot. but that's just going on what the guy that does my car once a year has told me.
anoa324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 02:50 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

When I paid $400 my 2010 GT's paint was beat to absolute death by the previous owner. Now it looks better than a new car. I don't know what his base price would be.
Old 05-07-2014, 04:54 PM   #6
Road Trip!
Regular

Oh I didn't mean it in a way to diss the car. It's a nice car and no I don't detail my own car in fear of messing up but I seen a lot of chemical guys vids on YouTube and I'm on the autogeek forum but still over intimated. Thanks for the questions to ask cause yea I see ads for $60 for what the call a full detail
Old 05-07-2014, 05:32 PM   #7
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joser714 View Post
Oh I didn't mean it in a way to diss the car. It's a nice car and no I don't detail my own car in fear of messing up but I seen a lot of chemical guys vids on YouTube and I'm on the autogeek forum but still over intimated. Thanks for the questions to ask cause yea I see ads for $60 for what the call a full detail

A full detail to a CL detailer might mean wash,clean and dress wheels,vacuum and dress interior. You just have to ask. Also,don't be scared to pick up a DA polisher,watch some how to videos and get started. It's all hands on learning. If you are that intimidated and really want to learn you could find someone on CL getting rid of some body panels or a hood (or buy a junkyard hood) and practice on those. I learned at my grandparents dealership using a rotary. A rotary can take years for some people to learn and can burn paint really easy. The DA polishers like porter cable or flex are pretty easy to use. Trial and error......trial and error.
Old 05-07-2014, 05:40 PM   #8
Road Trip!
Regular

I do feel like practicing but I'll go ahead and call first. The only reason why I decided to even getting the car detailed is cause of your picture you posted the other day.
Old 05-07-2014, 06:16 PM   #9
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
I recently picked up a rotary buffer and have used it a few times. It's really not all that hard to use. Just make sure you keep moving and don't apply pressure and you shouldn't burn the paint.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1399504568.452876.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	703.5 KB
ID:	156206

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 08:06 PM   #10
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joser714 View Post
I do feel like practicing but I'll go ahead and call first. The only reason why I decided to even getting the car detailed is cause of your picture you posted the other day.
Well glad I gave you some inspiration to give it a try. Watch a bunch of youtube vids,Adams or Chemical Guys stuff and you well be on your way in no time. Good luck!
Old 05-08-2014, 12:05 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Love CG YouTube videos. They help a ton.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
I recently picked up a rotary buffer and have used it a few times. It's really not all that hard to use. Just make sure you keep moving and don't apply pressure and you shouldn't burn the paint.
Attachment 156206
Sweet.
Old 05-08-2014, 07:42 AM   #12
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
Attachment 156206
Another thing to remember about a rotary is to always keep it flat. Alot of people tend to tilt them forward especially when doing the sides of the car. Not keeping it flat will cause holograms in the paint.
Old 05-08-2014, 09:58 AM   #13
Road Trip!
Regular

Do eBay ones work?
Old 05-08-2014, 03:41 PM   #14
Regular
Supporter

You can get a excellent one from Harbor Freight that is just like the porter cable for around $57.99. Sometimes they are even cheaper with the coupons they have.Here is a link.

http://www.harborfreight.com/power-t...her-69924.html

Get your pads elsewhere though....
http://www.autogeek.net/lakecountry....FWgF7AodaAIA5g

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing