Washing engine - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-10-2014, 02:53 PM   #1

Region: Missouri
Washing engine

I am going to be cleaning the engine in the next few days of my 04 GT with a pressure washer. Is there any thing I need to cover?

Sent from my HTCONE using Mustang Evolution mobile app
bro04gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2014, 03:00 PM   #2
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
DO NOT pressure wash. I repeat. DO NOT pressure wash. Get some engine degreaser and spray in specific areas or on a rag and wipe. You don't want to just spray anything randomly at the engine.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 03:02 PM   #3

Gotcha

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2014, 03:16 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mexico
lol funny!.. on a different forum I told them to cover the alternator, the fuse box and disconnect or remove the battery and be careful of any exposed wires!.. I also said its better and safer just to use a rag and wipe everything you can touch! and for hard to reach areas just use an old tooth brush!....

I was then attacked by like 6 people saying I obviousely have not ever detailed an engine bay before and blah blah its safe to just spray it down with a hose or power washer. I couldn't get my point across how stupid that seemed to me so I gave up lol...

also if you do end up spraying it down... wait as long as possible with the hood up before starting the car! try and let all the water moisture evaporate.. and if you have an air compressor.. doesn't hurt to blow some compressed air around the cops to get that water away!...
FullyAutomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 03:47 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
I haven't pressure washed the engine on my Mustang because I don't have a way to blow the excess water off. I have used a pressure washer to clean the engine on my 02 Ranger and I've done this with several other cars I've owned and I've never cover anything up or disconnected the battery. I sprayed engine down with engine degreaser and hit it with the pressure washer without any problems. Still dive the Ranger today without any issues.
rangerbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 03:53 PM   #6
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
engines are reasonably water proof. I spray with a 30% simple green (cold stopped engine) then lightly spray with water mist. Avoid soaking alt/fuse/battery/cai but it's only 12v so it's not real easy to short anything out.

Drive in the rain and look under your hood it'll be soaked...
Old 05-10-2014, 04:00 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

lol same type of responses I was talking about...
Sure you can probably wash it and nothing bad happen.. However If you want to be smart just take my advice..
and no when it rains out my cops, fuses and engine is not "soaked"
you must be driving in some pretty deep puddles for that to happen
Old 05-10-2014, 04:02 PM   #8
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Region: Georgia
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
Quote:
Originally Posted by FullyAutomatic View Post
lol funny!.. on a different forum I told them to cover the alternator, the fuse box and disconnect or remove the battery and be careful of any exposed wires!.. I also said its better and safer just to use a rag and wipe everything you can touch! and for hard to reach areas just use an old tooth brush!....

I was then attacked by like 6 people saying I obviousely have not ever detailed an engine bay before and blah blah its safe to just spray it down with a hose or power washer. I couldn't get my point across how stupid that seemed to me so I gave up lol...

also if you do end up spraying it down... wait as long as possible with the hood up before starting the car! try and let all the water moisture evaporate.. and if you have an air compressor.. doesn't hurt to blow some compressed air around the cops to get that water away!...
Jeez well they'll get the last laughs. Ford actually outlines the steps in the owners manual.

I've done it this way for years and haven't had any issues. If the engine is dusty, and if there is not a lot of grime it's better to wipe areas down.

Step 1. Make sure the engine is ice cold before starting.

You want it cool since there is a slight possibility that you can crack the engine block by throwing cold water on it.

Step 2. Cover fuse box, battery, distributor cap, air intake, and I cover the alternator as well. Plastic bags work well

Step 3. I spray the entire bay with simple green and then lightly brush with a soft brush or old rag.

Step 4. Lightly rinse, I hold the hose at an angle off to the side, keeping the nozzle on the lowest setting.

Step 5. Pull off plastic bags a little water might get onto those areas , but just wipe it up, and you'll be fine.

Step 6: Dry the bay with towels and a forced air dryer, or compressed air will also work. Leaf blowers & shop vacs with a clean hose work well for this.

At this point you have 2 options leave it alone, or dress it up to your liking! I like to use SprayWay instant shine it looks great, and it doesn't attract dust.

I usually do the engine first when detailing a car, it's not mandatory, but I don't love the job enough to go back and clean the overspray up.
Old 05-10-2014, 04:17 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
From 2014 Mustang user guide Jan 2014, page 258
CLEANING THE ENGINE
Engines are more efficient when they are clean because grease and dirt buildup keep the engine warmer than normal.
When washing:
• Take care when using a power washer to clean the engine. The high-pressure fluid could penetrate the sealed parts and cause damage.
• Do not spray a hot engine with cold water to avoid cracking the engine block or other engine components.
• Spray Motorcraft Engine Shampoo and Degreaser on all parts that require cleaning and pressure rinse clean. In Canada, use Motorcraft Engine Shampoo.
• Never wash or rinse the engine while it is hot or running; water in the running engine may cause internal damage.
• Never wash or rinse any ignition coil, spark plug wire or spark plug well, or the area in and around these locations.
• Cover the battery, power distribution box, and air filter assembly to prevent water damage when cleaning the engine.
Riko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 04:28 PM   #10
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
If you cover everything you can spray it with a hose and standard shower nozzle, but never ever pressure wash. There are so many electrical components that you won't be able to cover them all. The biggest issue i see with people washing their 4.6 engines are the COPs, those always seem to get water inside and then they are toast.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 05:40 PM   #11
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
To each his own. I've always power washed engine bays with no issues. You can use a hose but your prep work and cleaning is going to have to be on point,especially if your engine is really dirty or has never been cleaned. Aluminum foil works great to cover things. If you have a foam cannon even better. Waterproofing and rubber seals are your friends........

DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 06:41 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

yeah well.. my 2v engine is not covered by a big plastic cover lol... there are a lot of wires and plugs exposed.. My luck, the car wouldn't start after lol
Old 05-10-2014, 06:48 PM   #13
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
yeah well.. my 2v engine is not covered by a big plastic cover lol... there are a lot of wires and plugs exposed.. My luck, the car wouldn't start after lol
Just be careful to cover anything you don't feel comfortable with being exposed and use a hose if it makes you feel better. I will run engine during wash down.
Old 05-10-2014, 07:22 PM   #14

I will cover important things. Use a spray cleaner & brush. Then hose off. How's that sound?

Old 05-10-2014, 07:34 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM View Post
Just be careful to cover anything you don't feel comfortable with being exposed and use a hose if it makes you feel better. I will run engine during wash down.

no need. I wipe my engine bay down when I go to the car wash and it looks great!... not sure how some peoples engine bays are so dirty.. its only open on the bottom.
Old 05-10-2014, 07:41 PM   #16
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bro04gt View Post
I will cover important things. Use a spray cleaner & brush. Then hose off. How's that sound?

Sounds perfect.

Quote:
no need. I wipe my engine bay down when I go to the car wash and it looks great!... not sure how some peoples engine bays are so dirty.. its only open on the bottom.
I agree. I never let my vehicles get to that point.
Old 05-10-2014, 08:20 PM   #17

This 04 GT I got last Wednesday. It had been in a open garage on dirt drive way for 6 months engine is filthy!

Old 05-12-2014, 01:15 AM   #18
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
This 04 GT I got last Wednesday. It had been in a open garage on dirt drive way for 6 months engine is filthy!

Any pics? How do you plan to clean it?
Old 05-12-2014, 05:45 AM   #19
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
Quote:

Quote:
lol same type of responses I was talking about...
Sure you can probably wash it and nothing bad happen.. However If you want to be smart just take my advice..
and no when it rains out my cops, fuses and engine is not "soaked"
you must be driving in some pretty deep puddles for that to happen
You can try a 3rd forum but the best you'll get is 2 out of 3.
Old 05-12-2014, 08:12 AM   #20

[IMG][/IMG] engine bay[IMG][/IMG] My Car named Jennifer
Old 05-12-2014, 01:49 PM   #21
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
[IMG][/IMG] engine bay[IMG][/IMG] My Car named Jennifer
That doesn't look bad at all. Some simple green,small/large brushes should do the trick. Follow up with some dressing and she will look good as new.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing