Vinyl wrap or hydro dip of engine bay parts? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-10-2014, 07:10 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Vinyl wrap or hydro dip of engine bay parts?

Has anyone ever done this? I am thinking Coil covers, intake cover, fuse box and potentially strut brace. The obvious concern is the heat in the engine bay so I was wondering if anyone has done either. It reads around forum posts that the hydro will fold up but that seems harder and think that vinyl will be easier. Will the vinyl be able to work under hood?
Brembo Pkg, Paxton SC, ID1000's, JMS BAP, Boss IM, JLT CAI, Lund Tuned, Tremec T56 swap, Black Pype Bombs, Pypes LT Headers H-Pipe, McLeod RXT Twin Clutch & LW Flywheel. Alum. DS, MGW Shifter, BMR adj. Panhard, UCA & LCA's, Eibach Pro Damper, Sportline Springs, MMD Louvers, Roush splitters, RTR decklid and surround, CDC Grille, Staggered 20" ACE Alloy Driven, Trufiber Hood.
Sterlingbeast5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2014, 02:41 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
I dont know if the vinyl will be easier....going in the grooves and things. When you apply heat to the vinyl it stretches...so when you put it on with a heat gun...it is fine...however with the heat that the engine produces, it may bubble where you had to stretch it.

I put vinyl pinstripes on my strut tower brace and havent had any issues but didnt have to use a heat gun and was a very simple job compared to the interior pieces that I wrapped.

---------- Post added at 03:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:40 PM ----------

plus you can hydrodip some cool designs on there.

rockhillgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 03:21 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Might have to look at dipping. Really just looking for Carbon Fiber look under hood and since my mod lists grows quicker than I can pull stuff off figured i would look for most cost effective, lol. But I always say do once and do right.
Brembo Pkg, Paxton SC, ID1000's, JMS BAP, Boss IM, JLT CAI, Lund Tuned, Tremec T56 swap, Black Pype Bombs, Pypes LT Headers H-Pipe, McLeod RXT Twin Clutch & LW Flywheel. Alum. DS, MGW Shifter, BMR adj. Panhard, UCA & LCA's, Eibach Pro Damper, Sportline Springs, MMD Louvers, Roush splitters, RTR decklid and surround, CDC Grille, Staggered 20" ACE Alloy Driven, Trufiber Hood.
Sterlingbeast5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2014, 03:28 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Yea, I'm going to be going CF theme to but going to have to go with the real stuff...the dipping stuff doesnt look real to me...especially since I have a ton of real CF on my bike. Whatever you do...just do it throughout the engine...dont do vinyl..real cf..and hydrodip..will all look different

rockhillgt is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing