Anyone use waterless or rinseless car wash? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-14-2014, 04:36 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Anyone use waterless or rinseless car wash?

Does anyone use these and if so how would you rate them to the traditional hose and bucket method? The weather and housing location is making look at other options.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Mustang Evolution mobile app
air_commando88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2014, 05:44 PM   #2
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
If your car is a DD and you wait a couple weeks at a time to wash it,I would use the traditional method. All that built up road grime will scratch your paint no matter how good they advertise it. You can use the 2 bucket method in a car wash bay. Just pre fill your buckets,cap them and throw them in the trunk. Now if you wash your car like me which means the second it gets dirty you wash it then you should be fine.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 01:19 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I'm always scared of that waterless stuff. I feel there is a higher chance of the car getting micro-scratches from dirt, but that's just my 2 cents
3.7L is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2014, 01:25 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I am a little nervous as well but I really only drive the car when it's nice out and work is only a few miles for me so I take my motorcycle. So usually the car only accumulates some dust and I use a California duster and some detailer then wash it once a week or so.

Old 06-15-2014, 04:04 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
i wouldn't use it if your car is filthy. if it has some pollen on it or ight dust, use a good amount of the stuff and wipe it safely away

more to come...
RubyRed14GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 06:30 PM   #6
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyRed14GT View Post
i wouldn't use it if your car is filthy. if it has some pollen on it or ight dust, use a good amount of the stuff and wipe it safely away
You can't just wipe pollen away safely. It can cause more damage that way. Best way is to agitate it with shampoo and water. The california duster on pollen is the worst thing you could ever do.

Here is a good little read about pollen.

Safely Removing Pollen Will Save Your Paint | Ask a Pro Blog
Old 06-15-2014, 06:35 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM View Post
You can't just wipe pollen away safely. It can cause more damage that way. Best way is to agitate it with shampoo and water. The california duster on pollen is the worst thing you could ever do.

The guy that wrote this article also seems to be a fan of ONR which was one of the products I was looking at.

Old 06-16-2014, 01:20 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

that's why I suggested to use a good amount of the product to saturate the area. I do this all the time with no problem when there is a light dusting of pollen on my car. I wouldn't suggest it if the car was covered in pollen.

and in that article it talks about wiping a surface that is dry with no lubricant. a waterless cleaner will lift the pollen into the product so it can be wiped away. but as stated, not to be done with a car caked with pollen

more to come...
Old 06-16-2014, 01:23 PM   #9
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
More soap = more lubricity. Can never go too easy on the soap.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 01:42 PM   #10
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
that's why I suggested to use a good amount of the product to saturate the area. I do this all the time with no problem when there is a light dusting of pollen on my car. I wouldn't suggest it if the car was covered in pollen.

and in that article it talks about wiping a surface that is dry with no lubricant. a waterless cleaner will lift the pollen into the product so it can be wiped away. but as stated, not to be done with a car caked with pollen
I understand what you are saying so I guess it's just a matter of opinion or preference. I myself would not use detailer and a rag on light pollen. I have pretty much stopped using detailer on the car,unless it is right after a wash.
Old 06-16-2014, 01:45 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I understand what you are saying so I guess it's just a matter of opinion or preference. I myself would not use detailer and a rag on light pollen. I have pretty much stopped using detailer on the car,unless it is right after a wash.
waterless wash isn't a detailer. I think that's where the confusion might be. I might not have mentioned that in my comment.

more to come...
Old 06-16-2014, 02:05 PM   #12
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
waterless wash isn't a detailer. I think that's where the confusion might be. I might not have mentioned that in my comment.
I know what you were saying and I know waterless wash isn't a detailer. I still wouldn't use it but that's just me.
Old 06-16-2014, 03:01 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I use both Waterless and rinseless washes, and I am really pleased with the results of both. The waterless I use Chemical Guys Ecosmart-RU with Chemical guys gold plush jr microfiber towlels. You will want to use 2-3 of these for the whole car to avoid building up too much dirt/grime on one towel and causing swirls. You will also need a decent towel you DO NOT put the CG solution on. This towel will be just for buffing out the left over wax that causes a streaky look, but once buffed it has a very nice shine. I find that my Shamwow works perfect for getting the wax off, and my cheaper crappy autozone towels do nothing to help. My only complaint about it is it can be difficult to get all the streaks out from the wax, but this is a very quick way to clean your car. Also buy this stuff by the gallon($30) along with the CG atomizer (cheaper on amazon). If you can afford it buy the gallon of Hyper concentrated ecosmart formula ($90) which ends up making about 8 gallons i think when mixed, because you'll use this stuff fast.
Now for the rinseless wash i use the ONR wash & wax solution, I love this stuff! You'll need 2-3 plush microfiber towels, 1-2 microfibers for drying (i recommend meguiars or cobra waffle weave), two 5 gal buckets, and a grit guard. Follow the instructions for mixing the 1oz ONR per 2 gal water and the other bucket for rinsing and your set. This is awesome because you get about 30 car washes for around $20 because the bottle is 32oz. Wash your car like you would normally without pressure and wipe away the excess water. I almost never have to buff left over wax off with this stuff and i think it cleans a bit better than a waterless, plus i usually have enough left in the bucket to clean the GF's car with the 1oz/2gal mix. The only downfall is that it takes a bit longer than using the ecosmart. I really like both! the Eco smart is awesome for car shows, touch ups, cleaning off bird poop, etc. It's definetly worth having both products around.
2013 DIB 3.7-Pypes Pype Bomb black axlebacks, BBK shorty headers, Bama & MPT tunes, Steeda Ultralite Springs, J&M steel adj. panhard, Roush hood scoop, Street scene Gen 2 chin spoiler painted to match, Custom billet grille, painted side mirror covers, 20" gloss black AMR wheels wrapped in Nitto Motivos.

Follow me on instagram @that_deep_impact
Deep_Impact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 11:51 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

I am now almost exclusively using a rinseless wash method. I use Infinite Use Detail Juice with Juice Boost and the Garry Dean wash method. The results are amazing.

-Cameron
2013 Roush Stage 3 M6 Roush CAI, 82mm pulley, ID1000's, KB BAP, Vossen CV3 20x9-20x10.5, Michelin Pilot SS, Lethal O/R X, GT500 axleback, Barton Shifter with 2-post bracket, Clutch Line Upgrade, Boss Trans Cooler, Dynotech Aluminum Driveshaft, BMR Driveshaft Loop, Whiteline Trans Bushing, BMR LCA's with Relo Brackets, Adjustable Panhard Bar, GT500 STB, Steeda X-Brace, Steeda rear sway, JLT Oil Separator, GT500 Diff Cover, Afco Heat Exchanger, 170* T-stat, Tint, RP Fluids, aeroforce interceptors///688rwhp 605lb/ft torque cornfed
Camron502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 12:15 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron502 View Post
I am now almost exclusively using a rinseless wash method. I use Infinite Use Detail Juice with Juice Boost and the Garry Dean wash method. The results are amazing.

-Cameron

Have you noticed any swirls?

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
Thegreenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 12:20 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

No I have not. If the car happens to be really dirty, which is rare because I wash once a week, I will go over it with an electric pressure washer first. The results are so good from this method that the car stays cleaner longer too.

Since I like washing the cars this way so much, especially in the garage on a hit summer day, I bought an Eco detailing pod from chemical guys to apply the product and speed things up.

-Cameron

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
2013 Roush Stage 3 M6 Roush CAI, 82mm pulley, ID1000's, KB BAP, Vossen CV3 20x9-20x10.5, Michelin Pilot SS, Lethal O/R X, GT500 axleback, Barton Shifter with 2-post bracket, Clutch Line Upgrade, Boss Trans Cooler, Dynotech Aluminum Driveshaft, BMR Driveshaft Loop, Whiteline Trans Bushing, BMR LCA's with Relo Brackets, Adjustable Panhard Bar, GT500 STB, Steeda X-Brace, Steeda rear sway, JLT Oil Separator, GT500 Diff Cover, Afco Heat Exchanger, 170* T-stat, Tint, RP Fluids, aeroforce interceptors///688rwhp 605lb/ft torque cornfed
Camron502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 12:47 PM   #17
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron502 View Post
No I have not. If the car happens to be really dirty, which is rare because I wash once a week, I will go over it with an electric pressure washer first. The results are so good from this method that the car stays cleaner longer too.

Since I like washing the cars this way so much, especially in the garage on a hit summer day, I bought an Eco detailing pod from chemical guys to apply the product and speed things up.

-Cameron

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

I was looking at that Eco pod they have. It looks pretty cool.

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 10:56 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
My personal recommendation for washes between actual washes is a foam gun/lance. I use it during my normal washes but also when I don't have time for a full hand-wash.

Rinse the car, spray on the foam once to pick up the big stuff, rinse that off and repeat with the foam and a mitt. Not quite as good as the two bucket but if it's not too dirty it's a safer method.
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 07:11 AM   #19

I have been using Dri Wash n Guard for over 15 years. It works on all color vehicles and does not scratch the paint. I agree with others posting here that if the car is real dirty from a trip or not being washed for a while, nothing beats a bucket of soapy water and a hose. My CS is not a daily driver so it is easy to maintain with DWnG. They have a whole line of products, I also like the leather treatment and they make a trim treatment that works well on plastic under the hood because it repells dust.
MadBeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 10:00 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Try croftgateusa.com best waterless stuff around

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
chefron50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 11:02 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
I have been using Croftgate products for over a year. Love it haven't seen any scratching.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
jjrule23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing