Choosing lug nuts - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-24-2014, 10:47 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Region: Massachusetts
Choosing lug nuts

Hello everyone,

So the other day I dipped and glossed my two front wheels and will do the back two when I'm working on the back next. So i kept my chrome center caps cobras and chrome valve stems. So my two questions are where can I buy these chrome valve stem cover cause my back two tires don't have them. I got the rims and tires this way. They might have been stolen for all I know. And my second question is what do you guys use for chrome lugs on your cobra rims? Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1403624744.893070.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	168.8 KB
ID:	159979
These are the chrome acorn one a.m sells on a rim that looks like mine. Idk how good these are and of they are long enough to even be seen on my cobra rims. Any help will be appreciated. Thank you
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2014, 02:57 AM   #2
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
You can get the chrome valve stem covers at any parts store. The lugs you can order from AM. The spline lugs are the way to go because each lug has to be taken off with the adapter that comes with the set and this is great for security purposes. You can also get those spline lugs at Autozone if you can't wait for UPS to deliver. Not sure what brand they carry though. I would pick up the power wrench that comes with the thin walled sockets also. I have it and it works great.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 06:15 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for the help man!!! I already ended up going with the chrome lug nuts with the security key. I got a set from a friend that was selling some for a good price. And for the valve stems I did check auto zone and it looks like if I want the back to match the front I would have to replace the whole stem. Cause it's not just the cap that is chrome it's the whole thing.
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2014, 03:52 PM   #4
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adogg View Post
Thanks for the help man!!! I already ended up going with the chrome lug nuts with the security key. I got a set from a friend that was selling some for a good price. And for the valve stems I did check auto zone and it looks like if I want the back to match the front I would have to replace the whole stem. Cause it's not just the cap that is chrome it's the whole thing.
I thought that was what you were trying to say (valve stems) but you mentioned valve stem covers which are just the caps. Did you get the acorn lugs or the splines? The acorns are fat like the factory ones and to large for aftermarket wheels.

You could tape off your wheels and plastidip the valve stems to match. Easy fix.
Old 06-28-2014, 03:58 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1403988822.759798.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	767.6 KB
ID:	160277

Here's how it is sitting now I did get the lugs with the key and then seem to fit fine on my cobra rims. It's coming out really good. But yea what I'm saying is the actual stem itself is chrome not just the cap. It looks like I would have to take the whole stem out and replace it with the chrome one.
Old 06-28-2014, 04:03 PM   #6
Regular
Supporter

You would. But like I said you could tape off the wheel and plastidip the valve stem for a cheap/quick fix.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing