To treat the tires or not to, that is the question - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-27-2014, 08:03 PM   #1

Region: Michigan
To treat the tires or not to, that is the question

So here is one, and perhaps there is another thread on it, but didnt find it in search. Who is for putting armour all, black magic, meguiars, eagle, etc.. on their tires after washing? I have yet to do it since for quite a while the rubber maintained its darker black and even look, but now the rubber is starting to change a bit, so im thinking ill probably start using armour all or other product. Dont get me wrong, i do use it on my other cars tires, but i hate when you get that look where it shows you have used it before and didnt do it the last time you washed, grayish hue, dryness etc.. So open to hear thoughts, opinions, fave products...
JKTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2014, 08:04 PM   #2
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Whichever you use, use the gel. Don't use the spray stuff. It needs to be water based.

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 08:06 PM   #3
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
As long as you keep using it your tires will get conditioned to it. JMO,but I wouldn't use armor all products on my car. There are a ton of better quality products out there.

wrong section.........
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2014, 08:08 PM   #4
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM View Post
wrong section.........

Damn didn't catch that.

Bullitts are better than Bullets

HID end all thread
Old 06-27-2014, 08:15 PM   #5
Regular
Supporter

Not wanting to waste my time typing,here you go........

Any car enthusiast will tell you that tire dressings are the best way to highlight an already sweet ride. With such a wide-range of products available, it can be difficult to know what to look for when selecting a dressing for your tires. Most detailers will tell you that tire dressings can vary a great deal in durability and shine - so asking around for recommendations is often a good place to start.

There are two common types of tire dressings: oil-based and water-based products. Generally speaking, most tire dressings will help prevent cracking, fading and hardening of tires, but the finish they leave behind depends on whether they're oil or water-based. Oil-based dressings are used to create a glossy, "wet" shine, and in contrast, water-based dressings create a low gloss, velvety appearance.
Tire Gel vs. Spray

So now that you've determined what features are most important, do you go with a gel or a spray? You may find that one of your preceding decisions has already decided this for you. Mostly this decision is just based on application preference. Detailers recommend not getting hung up on the tire gel vs. spray issue and instead focusing on the results the product delivers. By and large, factors like durability, protection and finish are more important.

A tire gel is generally considered to provide higher intensity shine, and longer lasting results than a spray. However, application of a gel is a bit more time intensive than a spray as it often requires more than one step to apply. Gel may also "sling" onto wheel wells or quarter panels. Most sprays on the other hand can be applied in one simple step, and usually don't create any of the residual sling issues that a gel might.

That was hard.....JK.
Old 06-27-2014, 08:19 PM   #6

Lol, nice and a good read, I've used both and like each for just about the same things. So any products you recommend

Sent from my C6606 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 06-27-2014, 08:26 PM   #7
Regular
Supporter

People say to use water based because dressings with solvents can ruin your clear coat if there is any sling action from the tires to your paint. Adams makes some quality product,check out their website.
Old 06-27-2014, 08:52 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
+1 on the water based solutions and to stay away from armor all.

Be sure to keep any product you use off your rims. Especially if they're painted and cleared.
Some oil based solvents can harm your finish on your wheels which accomplishes the exact opposite of your intent.

I'd definitely consider premium quality products..they tend to be more effective and last longer overall. Zainos, Adams, certain Meguiars etc.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 08:55 PM   #9
ME Bloodhound
Staff

HID end all thread
Old 06-27-2014, 09:02 PM   #10

Good tips fellas, thanks!
Old 06-27-2014, 11:20 PM   #11
Regular
Supporter

Only issue I have with that video is going straight from the tire to the plastic with the same applicator. If you are working with a tire that is not so clean you will transfer dirt to your plastic trim from the tire. You can also get the dressing on your paint. The VRT from Adams will wipe right off your paint without having to rewash. That stuff is amazing.

http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-512-a...-dressing.aspx
Old 06-28-2014, 01:08 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
Use the turtle wax in the box. It comes in a rattle can and I kid you not, it stays on for weeks!!!!! It's 11$ a can though but I've used it on my car 3 times and just now ran out! It sprays like spray paint but is clear and dries in about 30 minutes. It dries to the tires and makes a high gloss shine that won't rub off, it actually is like a rubberized tire black. Buy it and you won't be disappointed lol

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
WhiteCali5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 02:48 AM   #13
Road Trip!
Regular

Region: Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteCali5oh View Post
Use the turtle wax in the box. It comes in a rattle can and I kid you not, it stays on for weeks!!!!! It's 11$ a can though but I've used it on my car 3 times and just now ran out! It sprays like spray paint but is clear and dries in about 30 minutes. It dries to the tires and makes a high gloss shine that won't rub off, it actually is like a rubberized tire black. Buy it and you won't be disappointed lol

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
I'm going to look for that on my next trip to Walmart. I used armor all but the shine wouldn't last
Joser714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 03:00 AM   #14
Regular
Supporter

Armor All is a horrible product. There are many more quality products out there to choose from.
Old 06-28-2014, 03:04 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
Usually advance auto parts has or or autozone. That's the only places I've seen it
WhiteCali5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 06:28 AM   #16

I think im going to try that Adams VRT, stuff looks good!
Old 06-28-2014, 07:40 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
I used to use Armor All gel. But a while ago I picked up a Meguiar's spray (comes in a clear bottle) that gives the wheels a very glossy shine. I have to kinda cover the rims up with a rag as I go along because it's hard not to spray the rims, only drawback.
2014 V6 Base Coupe, Sterling Gray Metallic///3.31 Gears///FP6 Appearance Package///Tech. Package///Reverse Sensing and Security Package///Mods: Boss 302 grille, MMD Ducktail Spoiler, Weathertech Floor Mats, Bassani Axle-Back Exhaust
SixBanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 08:51 AM   #18
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Region: Georgia
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
To treat the tires or not to, that is the question

Everyone here is right on with the difference in products. I went through several products before landing on Surf City garage.
Old 06-28-2014, 09:35 AM   #19
Road Trip!
Regular

Region: Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM View Post
Armor All is a horrible product. There are many more quality products out there to choose from.
Believe me I learned my listen. I got some AA leather stuff and it don't do anything but make my cat smell like cocoa butter
Joser714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 11:47 AM   #20
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
1 - Armor all is garbage, it actually dries your **** out

2 - BEWARE ALL TIRE DRESSINGS/WHEEL CLEANERS especially with aftermarket wheels. It can ruin the clear coat

3 - Meguiar's interior conditioner on a rag wiped onto your sidewalls actually looks damn good and if you are careful with the rag you won't get it on your rims.

Carwash and water to clean the rims, NEVER EVER use wheel cleaner. Carefully apply a good conditioner to the sidewalls to prevent it possibly getting on your rims and boogering the clearcoat.

Like so

2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 03:45 PM   #21
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
1 - Armor all is garbage, it actually dries your **** out

2 - BEWARE ALL TIRE DRESSINGS/WHEEL CLEANERS especially with aftermarket wheels. It can ruin the clear coat

3 - Meguiar's interior conditioner on a rag wiped onto your sidewalls actually looks damn good and if you are careful with the rag you won't get it on your rims.

Carwash and water to clean the rims, NEVER EVER use wheel cleaner. Carefully apply a good conditioner to the sidewalls to prevent it possibly getting on your rims and boogering the clearcoat.

Like so

I don't agree with some of this. Companies spend big bucks to research and develop products/chemicals that will do their job and not harm your paint or clearcoat. Dressing with solvents in them will harm your clear,water based which usually looks milky won't. VRT for example is made to wipe right off your paint (if you somehow get it on your paint) leaving no oily residue or haze to buff off. It simply wipes off like water. Wheel and tire cleaners are developed and tested the same way so don't be afraid to do your research and find a product that works the best for you and your vehicle.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing