New to the World of DA Polishers - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-11-2014, 12:56 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
New to the World of DA Polishers

As the title states, I'm a noob to DA polishers. My paint has started to show its age with fine scratches, and light swirls. So I decided to take action.

Today I purchased a Griots DA polisher, orange and black hexlogic pads, chemical guys V36 polish, along with a fresh clay bar. I want this car looking spiffy when i get through with it. I do have a few questions though.

The v36 is good for one step polishing. HOWEVER. I have seen videos where there has been some slight maring/hazing from the v36. Should this happen, would switching to v36 on the black finishing pad buff out the hazing or would that not make much of a difference? I've also got a bunch of Meguires ultimate polish lying around. From those who've used v36, is the Meguires polish more aggressive? Or less abrasive than the v36? I'd like to do my best to cut through the swirls, but try to avoid the hazy unfinished look.

Any tips/tricks/Secrets of a DA are appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
PonyBoyV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2014, 01:07 AM   #2
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
Some pic of the car would be nice.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 05:07 AM   #3
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
I use Meguiars polish and it's ok. It's a pretty fine cut since i noticed it doesn't take out 100% of the swirls. I haven't used the V36 yet. When I'm out of my current compound and polish I'll probably get the entire V line from CGs

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2014, 10:28 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
I use Meguiars polish and it's ok. It's a pretty fine cut since i noticed it doesn't take out 100% of the swirls. I haven't used the V36 yet. When I'm out of my current compound and polish I'll probably get the entire V line from CGs

Bullitts are better than Bullets

So as far as different cutting pads go, Will i have more luck using a finishing pad? Or just sticking with a less abrasive polish to finish it off?

---------- Post added at 09:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:27 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM View Post
Some pic of the car would be nice.

I shall get some pics of the car/paintwork shortly.

Old 08-11-2014, 10:47 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Here are a few pics from the trouble areas. The hood and the upper rear bumper, the bumper being the worst off. On the hood pics, the swirls are not that bad, some of that is wipe marks from quick detailer i used to wipe off water spots for the photo.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1407771948.373300.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	543.4 KB
ID:	163228

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1407771975.056229.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	770.3 KB
ID:	163229Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1407772007.380569.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	708.9 KB
ID:	163230

Old 08-11-2014, 08:47 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
I'm a bit of a Menzerna fan. Expensive, certainly. But the results have not ceased to impress me. FG400 is a good all-round polish that leaves a bright sheen and no marring, but it's fairly aggressive and can knock a lot of it out. I also use the 4000 as a finisher just for the extra pop.

If you're going to use Meguiar's make sure it's the professional stuff. M105 for deeper cut and M205 for lighter/finishing.

Not a big Chemical Guys fan personally, a bit gimmicky for my tastes. The products I've tried from them are OK, but not the best I've used.
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 01:05 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I like Adams, personally. Impossible to screw up using a porter cable 7424 and the Adams polishes/pads. They're pretty affordable, too. It's worth saying that I never could get that last 1% of swirls out, but 99% came out with one day of work (wash, clay, swirl and haze remover, fine machine polish, and wax).

Repth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 07:45 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Well I ended up jumping right into it today. I double washed the car in Dawn to strip the previous wax and sealant off, then regular washed in Mr. Pink. Then I Clayed the car, even though it had a clay job done about 2 months ago. Better safe than sorry.

I had enough time to get the decklid, spoiler, rear bumper, complete drivers side, and roof done with v36. I must say, It did an absolutely fantastic job with the swirls. The only issues I'm currently having are with the fine scratches on the car. The ones i can feel with my nail i know are hopeless, but these aren't able to be felt with my nail. I'm using an Orange hexpad, and on the bumper (has the most light scratches) I tried Meguires ultimate compound. Then when that didn't cut it, I moved to meguires scratch and swirl 2.0. Even that had no effect. Does anyone have any advice on how to cut these down? I'll be finishing the rest of the car tomorrow, so i will try any tips I receive then.

Old 08-13-2014, 07:48 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I used the wolfgang total swirl remover with an orange cutting pad on light swirls and it removed them like a charm
Old 08-13-2014, 07:49 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PonyBoyV6 View Post
Well I ended up jumping right into it today. I double washed the car in Dawn to strip the previous wax and sealant off, then regular washed in Mr. Pink. Then I Clayed the car, even though it had a clay job done about 2 months ago. Better safe than sorry.

I had enough time to get the decklid, spoiler, rear bumper, complete drivers side, and roof done with v36. I must say, It did an absolutely fantastic job with the swirls. The only issues I'm currently having are with the fine scratches on the car. The ones i can feel with my nail i know are hopeless, but these aren't able to be felt with my nail. I'm using an Orange hexpad, and on the bumper (has the most light scratches) I tried Meguires ultimate compound. Then when that didn't cut it, I moved to meguires scratch and swirl 2.0. Even that had no effect. Does anyone have any advice on how to cut these down? I'll be finishing the rest of the car tomorrow, so i will try any tips I receive then.

The over-the-counter stuff like that typically doesn't do well. You need a more professional product. For Meguiar's use M105. If that doesn't budge the scratch, you'll likely need to wet sand it.
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
Old 08-13-2014, 10:36 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Thats the thing, they are light. Like really light. I may give it another shot with m105 down the line, when i want it looking perfect. But tbh, i was really surprised at how nice of a job the v36 did. No haze or halos, and after 2 or 3 passes, the swirls are completely gone. Looks like i'll have to upgrade to the heavy stuff to knock out the other scratches

Old 08-15-2014, 07:48 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Well, here's the end result. Took me about 2 1/2 days to finish this, with taking some leisurely breaks in between.

Used the orange hexpad with v36 to remove 99% of the swirls. Then went ahead and used Megs ultimate compound on some isolated spots with moderate scratches. I then switched to a black hexpad to apply Chemical Guys EZ cream glaze, Chemical Guys Jetseal, Meguires Tech wax 2.0, and then Chemical Guys Butter wet wax on top of that. The result gives the paint a very nice pop, which isn't Show quality by a long shot, but definitely a result i'm happy with.

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1408150019.030758.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	763.5 KB
ID:	163552Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1408150033.924982.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	582.0 KB
ID:	163553Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1408150090.971343.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	779.9 KB
ID:	163554

Old 08-15-2014, 09:02 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Hey, that's a great job for a first timer! I had a good deal of difficulty at first with my porter cable. It takes a good deal of finesse to get those last few swirls out and it looks like you did very well.

Old 08-15-2014, 11:46 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks man! Took me awhile to get the hang of it.

Old 08-16-2014, 09:51 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Getting the technique down is the most important part. More so than the product or machine you use. Ammonyc.Com or junk man on YouTube are good training videos.
Old 08-16-2014, 12:59 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

New to the World of DA Polishers

+1 for Junkman. He's excellent, if not a bit of a goofball

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing