Window Tint legality question. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-16-2014, 06:50 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
Window Tint legality question.

Hey guys. Wanting to do some tint on my mustang and I was wondering what is the lowest legal tint. Ideally what I would want is 20%, however, Iowa's law is the front windows must allow 70% of light to come in.

So what I need to know is to accommodate the 70% rule in Iowa I would need 30% tint right? That's how the tint number work correct?

And also is there any kind of factory tint that would "blend" with the aftermarket tint lowering the amount of light through? I have a 2009 GT premium, in case that year did come with factory tint.

Cops in Iowa aren't real strict on traffic rules here, just a bunch of corn fields and such. Not a lot of thug life so to speak. I could go as low as I wanted and probably be fine but I don't want to take the chance and I've never gotten a ticket. Plus the rules are there for a reason right?

Thanks guys
Cbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2014, 08:52 PM   #2
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
The percentage for light to come in is the same for the percentage of the tint. So 20% tint means 20% light comes in. So the lower the number the darker it is.

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 08:58 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
If you ever get pulled over, a common trick I've witnessed my friend get away with is to roll your windows down before the officer approaches you. With dark windows being up, apparently its a "safety issue." Makes sense to me.

I know the 05-14 Mustangs comes with Ford's "Carlite" solar-something... Don't know how much light it blocks though.

I have a question as well, doubt anyone will be able to answer: For our Mustangs + getting an inspection - do inspectors check our 1/4 windows and rear windshield too? My doors are 30% which should pass but I have 5% on everything back... Got it done today and completely forgot about inspection next month.
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2014, 09:11 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
The percentage for light to come in is the same for the percentage of the tint. So 20% tint means 20% light comes in. So the lower the number the darker it is.

Shoot so I can only get 70 tint? That's pretty weak lol
Cbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 10:55 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbird View Post
Shoot so I can only get 70 tint? That's pretty weak lol

I wouldn't bother tinting unless it's 35% and under. Better value for the money. But i think your windows already come with 70% tint from the factory.
Old 08-21-2014, 10:14 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Jeeze Iowa law is strict, even though cops might not enforce it. In Oklahoma our law is 25%

You see plenty of trucks running around with the super dark limo tint. Personally, I wouldn't go that low, I'd like to be able to see out of my stuff at night on country roads.

tintlaws.com if your curious for your state.
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 01:03 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Stangz View Post
If you ever get pulled over, a common trick I've witnessed my friend get away with is to roll your windows down before the officer approaches you. With dark windows being up, apparently its a "safety issue." Makes sense to me.

I know the 05-14 Mustangs comes with Ford's "Carlite" solar-something... Don't know how much light it blocks though.

I have a question as well, doubt anyone will be able to answer: For our Mustangs + getting an inspection - do inspectors check our 1/4 windows and rear windshield too? My doors are 30% which should pass but I have 5% on everything back... Got it done today and completely forgot about inspection next month.
You'll need to check your local laws but in CA, the quarter glass and the rear window can be tinted as dark as you want... You could even paint them black if you want to!
They're only concerned about the front, side glass and the windshield.

I've used the roll down the window trick as well.

I still have my side tint!
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 01:38 AM   #8
ME Bloodhound
Staff

I'm thinking of getting 15% for my fronts also, since The only times my windows are ever up is when it's parked.

HID end all thread
Old 08-22-2014, 04:28 AM   #9
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Download the PDF here to obtain what is "legal" for your state:

http://www.iwfa.com/Portals/0/PDFDoc...aw%20Chart.pdf
Old 08-23-2014, 01:10 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM91 View Post
Jeeze Iowa law is strict, even though cops might not enforce it. In Oklahoma our law is 25%

You see plenty of trucks running around with the super dark limo tint. Personally, I wouldn't go that low, I'd like to be able to see out of my stuff at night on country roads.

tintlaws.com if your curious for your state.
This is what I needed to know. I'm in Oklahoma and I'm in the market for tint.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Devil Strider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 08:39 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Make sure you stay within the law in your state. My last car had really cool window tinting when I bought it. One day I got pulled over and the cop put a device on my window to check my tinting. It was letting 17% of the light through. Kansas state law requires 35%. I had to have all of my tinting removed and new tinting put on at a cost of $275.

I have always wondered about if you drive a car legal in one state into another state where that amount of tinting is illegal. Can they fine you for it?
BrewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 06:29 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewGuy View Post
Make sure you stay within the law in your state. My last car had really cool window tinting when I bought it. One day I got pulled over and the cop put a device on my window to check my tinting. It was letting 17% of the light through. Kansas state law requires 35%. I had to have all of my tinting removed and new tinting put on at a cost of $275.

I have always wondered about if you drive a car legal in one state into another state where that amount of tinting is illegal. Can they fine you for it?
I've wondered this myself too. But I don't think they'll make a great deal out of it, after all ones not even from that state. Need to check on it though

"I know I was born and I know that I'll die... The in between is mine."
Old 09-03-2014, 06:33 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
I'm assuming this depends on the state you live in, you will have to check. I'm from Texas the lowest we can go on the driver and passenger windows (as far as I'm concerned) is 20%. Anything behind the front row, in our case, the rear windshield and 1/4 windows they can be as dark as we please

"I know I was born and I know that I'll die... The in between is mine."
Old 09-03-2014, 06:59 PM   #14
Road Trip!

Quote:

Rolling down doesn't always work. I was pulled over and taken out of my car, Handcuffed for no reason... When they couldn't find anything to charge me with, They stuck their hand into my window and rolled it up then gave me a ticket for tinted window to save their asses... I had 35% tint. This is why everyone hates LAPD... This is also why I'm going to get 5% tint this time. I removed the 35% to clear the ticket, But if I'm going to get ticketed for tint, Might as well get the one I want. so 5% it is.
RushGotti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 07:25 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by RushGotti View Post
Rolling down doesn't always work. I was pulled over and taken out of my car, Handcuffed for no reason... When they couldn't find anything to charge me with, They stuck their hand into my window and rolled it up then gave me a ticket for tinted window to save their asses... I had 35% tint. This is why everyone hates LAPD... This is also why I'm going to get 5% tint this time. I removed the 35% to clear the ticket, But if I'm going to get ticketed for tint, Might as well get the one I want. so 5% it is.
Being handcuffed isn't a violation of any of your rights. The police can detain anyone at anytime while they perform an investigation into that person. They let you go because they decided not to charge you with anything or didn't find whatever it was that they were looking for. Your window tint alone was more than enough to justify their traffic stop. I hate to break it to you, but their asses certainly didn't need to be saved from anything.
Hack14GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 07:30 PM   #16
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack14GT View Post
Being handcuffed isn't a violation of any of your rights. The police can detain anyone at anytime while they perform an investigation into that person. They let you go because they decided not to charge you with anything or didn't find whatever it was that they were looking for. Your window tint alone was more than enough to justify their traffic stop. I hate to break it to you, but their asses certainly didn't need to be saved from anything.
I'm not sure where you're from, But it's not a "common practice" so to speak to just stop someone for no justifiable reason and without any questions yell "Get out of the car" and handcuff you.

When the windows were rolled down from the moment I left my house to the moment I was pulled over... How do you justify a stop using tinted windows, When the windows were rolled down to begin with and not in view?
Old 09-03-2014, 07:33 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Haha.
They violated his civil rights using an asinine law as an excuse... And you're going to defend that huh Hack?

Don't let the Mother Fukkers search your car next time Gotti...
Make them get a search warrant.
Old 09-03-2014, 07:38 PM   #18
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
Haha.
They violated his civil rights using an asinine law as an excuse... And you're going to defend that huh Hack?

You know, What's funny is I didn't agree to anything, I was cuffed and an officer was next to me "Watching" me while the other cop did a walk around on my vehicle, He then came near me and I heard him tell his partner "There's nothing" and the other guy just replied with "nothing?" that's when I turned around and the cop walked to my car, reached inside the vehicle and raised the window and they told me "We're going to let you off easy, I'm going to give you a ticket for tinted window, you're lucky" lmao.

I was uncuffed to sign the ticket and the officer asked if he could search the vehicle, I just agreed to it (After he had already done that) I just wanted to go on my way, He just opened the door, I saw him check the center console and glove compartment.

They took my wallet to get my DL, But didn't ask me for proof of insurance or my registration....
Old 09-03-2014, 07:38 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Haha.

Sorry, I forgot that the police get to make the laws AND enforce them. Silly me.

I hate to be the bearer or bad news, but enforcing laws that are already on the books isn't violating someone's civil rights. If you don't like the law then run for office and change it.

Also, that's some quality advice. Goodluck "not letting them search" your car. That should go swimmingly for you.
Old 09-03-2014, 07:42 PM   #20
Road Trip!

Quote:
Sorry, I forgot that the police get to make the laws AND enforce them. Silly me.

I hate to be the bearer or bad news, but enforcing laws that are already on the books isn't violating someone's civil rights. If you don't like the law then run for office and change it.

Also, that's some quality advice. Goodluck "not letting them search" your car. That should go swimmingly for you.
I'm done actually, Your reply makes me believe you don't give a crap about our rights to begin with.

I guess you would allow them to search your property with no warrant as they please, right?
Old 09-03-2014, 07:46 PM   #21
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
I'm not sure where you're from, But it's not a "common practice" so to speak to just stop someone for no justifiable reason and without any questions yell "Get out of the car" and handcuff you.

When the windows were rolled down from the moment I left my house to the moment I was pulled over... How do you justify a stop using tinted windows, When the windows were rolled down to begin with and not in view?

When you get out of your car you are allowed to lock it. No key in ignition means no power to the windows

HID end all thread
Old 09-03-2014, 07:48 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

No.
Hack is the one doing the searching...

That's bull***** Hack. You just read the story.
And yeah. If I have to get out of the car the windows go up, the doors get locked, and the key is going in my pocket.
No you may NOT search my car.
Old 09-03-2014, 07:51 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I'm done actually, Your reply makes me believe you don't give a crap about our rights to begin with.

I guess you would allow them to search your property with no warrant as they please, right?
You said you gave them permission to search your car and now you're complaining about them "violating your rights". It's people who have no real understanding of their rights that scream the loudest about them being violated all the time. Believe me, I know my rights. However, the reality is, the only thing a police officer needs to detain you and search your car is a reasonable suspicion of criminal activity, which could be a multitude of things.

How do you guys think criminals get caught? You do realize police work involves more than just having crime fall in your lap. You weren't arrested for anything and you were cited for a completely legitimate cause. Basically, you were inconvenienced, get over it.
Old 09-03-2014, 07:52 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
No.
Hack is the one doing the searching...

That's bull***** Hack. You just read the story.
And yeah. If I have to get out of the car the windows go up, the doors get locked, and the key is going in my pocket.
No you may NOT search my car.
Hahaha, good luck with that.
Old 09-03-2014, 07:55 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
You said you gave them permission to search your car and now you're complaining about them "violating your rights". It's people who have no real understanding of their rights that scream the loudest about them being violated all the time. Believe me, I know my rights. However, the reality is, the only thing a police officer needs to detain you and search your car is a reasonable suspicion of criminal activity, which could be a multitude of things.

How do you guys think criminals get caught? You do realize police work involves more than just having crime fall in your lap. You weren't arrested for anything and you were cited for a completely legitimate cause. Basically, you were inconvenienced, get over it.
Criminals get caught by half-wits in monkey suits driving around working the odds.
That's not much different than it "falling into your lap"....
Old 09-03-2014, 07:55 PM   #26
Road Trip!

Quote:

I gave them permission after everything all was said and done... It was a last minute thing, I don't care about what happened anymore, I just wonder why the hell it happened in the first place. It doesn't matter though, We still have it better than people in other countries regardless.
Old 09-03-2014, 08:05 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Everyone should watch this. There is a part 2 also
This will show you how wrong Hack is...
Old 09-03-2014, 08:07 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Criminals get caught by half-wits in monkey suits driving around working the odds.
That's not much different than it "falling into your lap"....
I hate to break it to you, but working the odds has little to do with police work. Criminals aren't nearly as clever as they think they are. I suppose that with your extensive experience in law enforcement you would know though.
Old 09-03-2014, 08:13 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I hate to break it to you, but working the odds has little to do with police work. Criminals aren't nearly as clever as they think they are. I suppose that with your extensive experience in law enforcement you would know though.
No?
Then how do you explain what happened to Gotti?

Those cops were "working the odds".

Why don't you watch that video Hack?
You may learn something...
Old 09-03-2014, 08:14 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Everyone should watch this. There is a part 2 also
This will show you how wrong Hack is...
That's a great video, not sure what it has to do with what we're talking about but great none-the-less. I have never once asserted that you have to talk to the police or incriminate yourself in any way. What I am saying is that if an officer has reasonable suspicion that you have something illegal in your car or on your person then he has every right to search. Whether or not it will hold up in court will depend on how valid his reasonable suspicion was.
Old 09-03-2014, 08:17 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

I'm also not saying that Gotti had anything illegal in his car. I just let him know that there may have been more to it than them just wanting to bust his balls for no reason. They may have thought they saw him with something illegal and it turned out they were wrong. They are human. They didn't arrest him and cited him for something legitimate. Your clear hate for all police is clouding your mind. I just hope it never comes back and bites you in the *** in a courtroom someday.
Old 09-03-2014, 08:19 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
That's a great video, not sure what it has to do with what we're talking about but great none-the-less. I have never once asserted that you have to talk to the police or incriminate yourself in any way. What I am saying is that if an officer has reasonable suspicion that you have something illegal in your car or on your person then he has every right to search. Whether or not it will hold up in court will depend on how valid his reasonable suspicion was.
And there you go. "Let's just see how it holds up in court. There will be no reprisal for our violating any civil rights because we're cops".

It all boils down to the integrity of the officer and like many out there, you are sorely lacking in the integrity department Hack...
Old 09-03-2014, 08:27 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
And there you go. "Let's just see how it holds up in court. There will be no reprisal for our violating any civil rights because we're cops".

It all boils down to the integrity of the officer and like many out there, you are sorely lacking in the integrity department Hack...
A police officer being wrong about a suspicion doesn't mean he/she was violating your civil rights. Nobody is perfect, except you apparently.

As much as I appreciate your comprehensive assessment of my integrity, I'm not likely to lose any sleep tonight. I don't know you and you don't know me. However, I do know one difference between us, I don't prejudge people I know nothing about.
Old 09-03-2014, 08:27 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Here you go Hack...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 09-03-2014, 08:31 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
A police officer being wrong about a suspicion doesn't mean he/she was violating your civil rights. Nobody is perfect, except you apparently.

As much as I appreciate your comprehensive assessment of my integrity, I'm not likely to lose any sleep tonight. I don't know you and you don't know me. However, I do know one difference between us, I don't prejudge people I know nothing about.
It's too convenient of an excuse to be "wrong".
Police officers need to be held to a higher standard than that.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing