Clay bar questions - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-01-2014, 11:37 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Region: Massachusetts
Clay bar questions

Hey guys finally finished up my car today!! Now I'm looking into giving it a good wash. With the clay bar how often do you clay bar your car and do you wax right after it?
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2014, 12:17 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Clay bar as needed. Put a ziplock bag on your hand and run your finger over the car. If you feel bumps, you need to clay (assuming the car is clean). Always wax immediately after you clay--the clay at strips contaminants (and wax) off the paint.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Repth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 08:17 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Not all that often, I generally only clay my car once or twice a year, though there are lots of variables that can affect this (climate/environment, garaged or not, etc).

Whenever you buy a clay bar, cut it into 3 or 4 pieces and store them in a ziplock bag. That way if you drop a piece while working on the car, you can throw it out and you won't loose the whole bar. Never use clay that has been dropped, or even touched a surface that wasn't clean.

Do small sections at a time and use lots of detailing spray (clay lubricant). Wax after claying the car.
BadCon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2014, 08:57 PM   #4
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
I clay bar before I polish, that way when I'm rubbing the polish into the paint I don't scratch it with any particles that may be on there.

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 09:20 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
I clay bar before I polish, that way when I'm rubbing the polish into the paint I don't scratch it with any particles that may be on there.

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Absolutely this. Clay barring before polishing is an absolute must.

Old 09-01-2014, 10:14 PM   #6
Registered Member

Regular

I clay 3-4 times a year. Before you clay wash with warm water and dish soap. This will remove all the wax. So wash, dry, clay and then wash again with a premium car soap. Properly dry then polish and or wax.
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 11:05 PM   #7
ME Bloodhound
Staff

1. Rinse
2. Soap it up
3. Clay (while still soapy)
4. Rinse
5. Dry

Thats how I do it. Clay it while still soapy, cuts down on so much time instead of drying it and using the detail spray method.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 01:01 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
1. Rinse
2. Soap it up
3. Clay (while still soapy)
4. Rinse
5. Dry

Thats how I do it. Clay it while still soapy, cuts down on so much time instead of drying it and using the detail spray method.
That might work good in some areas, but this time of year in Texas, I can't even finish soaping up a car before the other half of it starts to dry lol.
BadCon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 11:21 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Yes, as others have said clay then wax. Make sure any previous wax is gone before you clay. You want to get all of the crud off that's embedded in the paint.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 11:26 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Region: Massachusetts
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1409847904.079958.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	875.6 KB
ID:	165166
Thanks everyone it came out great here is a pic of mine and a buddies car that we both did.
Old 09-04-2014, 11:36 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mexico
I have used clay I dropped in the driveway and had no problems with scratches. I brushed it off, reshaped it, and kept going. I need some new clay anyway so next time I'll buy some new.

I would have to clay my car once a month to keep the contaminants off. I work at a shipyard and park in a rock parking lot so between seagull crap, paint over spray, and dust, my car takes a lot of abuse. I also hit numerous bugs on my 16 mile drive to a from work. Still looks great after a year but it is a pain to keep up with. I need to fix some chips in the paint though.

I cannot see any contaminants in the paint but when I use the hand-in-bag method, I can feel them. SGM hides so much!
2014SGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 11:39 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

ALWAYS throw away clay you drop. It may look ok, and then you get a nice big gouge in your paint from a tiny pebble that got in there.

Clay isn't expensive, paint is. So don't risk it just to keep a piece of it.

2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
Old 09-04-2014, 11:44 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mexico
Joey, to be honest, I never read anything on clay barring so I didn't even think about it doing that but lucky for me, I did not have any issues with it. My driveway stays pretty clean, too, but I know what you are saying. Once a little pebble gets embedded in the clay, it's just a matter of time before it makes it back out to the surface even if the clay is reshaped.
2014SGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 01:28 PM   #14
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
I clay bar 1x year. My hint is to tear the bar in 1/2 (or 1/3) so if you do drop it you only throw out a bit. I would NOT use dropped clay but that is only from what I've read not experience.

I like the soapy clay suggestion. Same mix as wash?

just noticed Bad suggested the dividing method 1st
Old 10-01-2014, 01:36 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Clear coat?

How long after purchasing a brand new car should you wait to clay bar it? I have had mine for about 5 months so I don't want to do it prematurely and compromise the clear coat or paint finish at all...but I'm protective of my girl..

I live in Oklahoma where the weather is as unpredictable as much as it can vary. I have a gravel driveway and a lot of backroads I have to take have gravel, dirt or other contaminants on them so I worry. I wash and dry my car frequently but its getting cooler now and I want to do little winterizing session on the paint and I was thinking of doing the clay bar method or maybe like the meguiers compound treatment(supposedly similar to bar method) then polish then wax. obviously with a wash before and after the first stage.

Can anyone give me some insight please?
#cluelessnewbie #NEWBrepresent
Coyote2820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 02:37 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Clay bar questions

You should clay bar as soon s you get the car. Some dealerships clay bar the top of the car when they receive it but not always. Just follow the instructions and you will be fine. Clay bar will not hurt your clear coat unless you get heavy dirt sand or stones in it from being dropped. If you drop the clay bar throw it out. Also make sure to knead the clay bar frequently and use lots of lubrication. I used to clay bar my black charger every 3 to 6 months depending on its condition. Also use a quality clay bar. Clay magic is a good brand. Also I used a diluted added spray wax for the lubricant but soapy car wash water is acceptable well.

2014 5.OHHHHHH
Noodles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 06:07 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Did mine (black) the day I brought it home. Had something on it that wouldn't wash off. Could feel it by running hand over it after waxing. Clay bar made it silky smooth.
bodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 07:17 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Probably railroad tracks dust

2014 5.OHHHHHH
Noodles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 12:39 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Clayed mine for the first time last week (have had pro detailing before) and wow, it was an amazing feeling to truly get rid of any type of friction on her. Although I don't plan to, I could see how someone could be addicted and do it every weekend lol.
trigga415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 12:53 PM   #20
Staff

Regular
Staff

since this was resurected......and it may be stupid to suggest/think.

can you clay bar the windows?
Old 10-22-2014, 03:06 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Absolutely! Your windshield would love a good clay and wax. No need for windshield wipers after that!

Old 10-22-2014, 04:36 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

2nd that. Watch some videos too (from reputable detailers). There's a lot more to consider and techniques to implement when claying than what has been mentioned here.
trigga415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 04:41 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
since this was resurected......and it may be stupid to suggest/think.

can you clay bar the windows?
I was going to ask this. Thanks for asking! Haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repth View Post
Absolutely! Your windshield would love a good clay and wax. No need for windshield wipers after that!

Nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigga415 View Post
2nd that. Watch some videos too (from reputable detailers). There's a lot more to consider and techniques to implement when claying than what has been mentioned here.
Thanks for the info!

You need to know the rules, to break the rules
Old 10-22-2014, 05:35 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

I got some special clay for glass. Now I doubt you need it, but the glass clay is a bit denser and doesn't leave residue. Normal clay definitely works better on paint though.

Old 10-23-2014, 05:50 AM   #25
Staff

Regular
Staff

Thx for the answers!

side note: Although I do clay mine (all vehicles) 1x per year I don't see any differance. It's one of those I can only tell by touch and like the majority of you I don't want strangers touching my baby. If I didn't enjoy washing cars (nice weather, outside, your choice of music AND beverage) I ain't sure I would bother.

Vic, I find myself alot more tolerant of ?'s if the person knows it may be a stupid one. So I was willing to take one for the team. Premptive reply: Yes, there ARE stupid ?'s but it's easier to ask than have to say "Sorry, I thought......"
Old 10-23-2014, 12:47 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
Thx for the answers!

side note: Although I do clay mine (all vehicles) 1x per year I don't see any differance. It's one of those I can only tell by touch and like the majority of you I don't want strangers touching my baby. If I didn't enjoy washing cars (nice weather, outside, your choice of music AND beverage) I ain't sure I would bother.

Vic, I find myself alot more tolerant of ?'s if the person knows it may be a stupid one. So I was willing to take one for the team. Premptive reply: Yes, there ARE stupid ?'s but it's easier to ask than have to say "Sorry, I thought......"

I only clay when I want to do paint correction. Otherwise I just keep it waxed and there's very little reason to clay.

Old 11-13-2014, 02:28 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
I only clay bar, before I buff scratches out, if my car is clean but doesn't feel clean. (Run fingers gently over clean paint, if it feels rough it needs to be clay bar'd.) If you are not buffing I usually just paste wax. It basically does about 90% of what a clay bar job would do.

12.1 @ 117.9 (1.7) in 1/4th
7.6 @ 92.1 (1.6) in 1/8th
Speed_Mister is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing