Removing Swirl Marks - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-03-2014, 02:54 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Removing Swirl Marks

how do u get the spiderwebs out of the paint in your car? Cant seem to find out how! Thx
Laquisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2014, 02:58 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Spiderwebs?
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 03:46 PM   #3
ME Bloodhound
Staff

You mean the swirl marks? In that case you will need to get some polish and rub them out or buff them out. Shouldn't need anything too heavy like a rubbing compound. Watch this video, you can do the exact same by hand, it just takes a lot longer.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2014, 03:47 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah bud! like the little scratches in the paint that look like them!
Old 09-03-2014, 03:48 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
If you mean swirls, wolf gang has some good products along with chemical guys and if you want to do anything serious you will need a dual action polisher

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Old 09-03-2014, 07:02 PM   #6
Road Trip!

Yep, With a Polisher.

I'm not sure what my uncle used on the polisher, But he polished my car while I was asleep and left it shining with no marks whatsoever.
RushGotti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 07:14 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I wouldn't use that above video as a guide to how to use a Porter Cable 7424. He was applying too much pressure so there was very little rotational movement of the polisher. The pad needs to work the polish into the paint to level and smooth it out. The proper way to do it is by using the weight of the polisher with just enough additional pressure to hold and maneuver the machine. A little pressure will slow the polisher down, but he went to heavy on the pressure.
Old 09-08-2014, 11:06 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmoyer View Post
I wouldn't use that above video as a guide to how to use a Porter Cable 7424. He was applying too much pressure so there was very little rotational movement of the polisher. The pad needs to work the polish into the paint to level and smooth it out. The proper way to do it is by using the weight of the polisher with just enough additional pressure to hold and maneuver the machine. A little pressure will slow the polisher down, but he went to heavy on the pressure.
This. You can mark your backing plate with a sharpie so you can see when it's actually rotationg, or if the clutch is engaged and it's just oscillating.

The rule of thumb is about 10 lbs of pressure including the weight of the machine.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 11:12 AM   #9
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:

Out of all of the high level detail guys that's how I've seen all of them do it. So I guess they don't detail 10 million dollar ferraris and other exotics for nothing.......

With a rotary yea you want little pressure, but all the people I've ever seen use DAs put extra pressure, enough to where it's turning a little faster than the second hand on your watch.

Bullitts are better than Bullets

HID end all thread
Old 09-08-2014, 11:49 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

The whole point to a DA is for the dual action. By them applying too much pressure, you have only single action. It doesn't matter what you've seen if they are all doing it wrong. Does it work, yes, but it takes longer to get the final finish because only a single rotational effort is being used. About 5-7 pounds of pressure is all that's needed. Watching his video above, there are times that the pad isn't rotating at all. How is that a proper technique for a dual action tool?

Again, just because you've seen it done this way doesn't make it right. I've seen many people use a rotary and hold it at an angle, slinging polish everywhere, and screaming across the paint at 5000 RPM. Welcome to world of ghosting and halo images all across the paint. I've seen many do that and I know it's not right.
Old 09-09-2014, 01:03 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
The whole point to a DA is for the dual action. By them applying too much pressure, you have only single action. It doesn't matter what you've seen if they are all doing it wrong. Does it work, yes, but it takes longer to get the final finish because only a single rotational effort is being used. About 5-7 pounds of pressure is all that's needed. Watching his video above, there are times that the pad isn't rotating at all. How is that a proper technique for a dual action tool?

Again, just because you've seen it done this way doesn't make it right. I've seen many people use a rotary and hold it at an angle, slinging polish everywhere, and screaming across the paint at 5000 RPM. Welcome to world of ghosting and halo images all across the paint. I've seen many do that and I know it's not right.
What RPM do u recommend 3K?
Old 09-09-2014, 01:13 PM   #12
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:

So by what you are saying you detail 10+ million dollar classics and super cars right?

And posting the video wasn't even supposed to show what you are complaining about, it was simply to show what a dual action polisher is, and what removing swirl marks is actually about.

HID end all thread
Old 09-09-2014, 01:14 PM   #13
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorB3 View Post
Dual action polishers usually come with a speed setting rather than an rpm, since rpm means revolutions per minute, it does a lot more than just rotate. Some don't even rotate at all and just oscillate.

A rotary goes by rpm, and for that you usually don't want to go higher than 1500rpm, i usually stick around 1400rpm on mine when polishing.

HID end all thread
Old 09-09-2014, 03:04 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
On a Porter Cable, I start applying the polish in the workable area on setting 1 or 2. I then work it into the paint at 5 to 6.

If I were using the Flex rotary that I have, 1800 RPM or setting 2 on the dial is the fastest I work it. The difference is that you don't need to keep up with the speed of the rotary. Take nice smooth easy passes with the correct pad and polish and the rotary will give phenomenal results. You can easily damage the paint or the moldings with a rotary. The DA is almost fool proof and won't damage anything unless it's dropped.

Soccrluvr4, what difference does it make if I work on super cars/expensive cars or Honda Accords? The process needs to be done right, even if just working on a Volkswagon bus! I have been in multi million dollar homes that had worse build quality than a $200k home. That doesn't mean the build quality must be better because the builder builds expensive homes. Your argument doesn't hold water. A DA polisher is designed to be dual action. If you apply too much pressure to stop the rotation of the pad, then you are getting only single action. It will still work, but it's not as efficient. It is what it is. Get over it!

BTW, I might not work on multi million dollar cars, but I do work on award winning show cars. Thanks
Old 09-09-2014, 03:24 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
On a Porter Cable, I start applying the polish in the workable area on setting 1 or 2. I then work it into the paint at 5 to 6.

If I were using the Flex rotary that I have, 1800 RPM or setting 2 on the dial is the fastest I work it. The difference is that you don't need to keep up with the speed of the rotary. Take nice smooth easy passes with the correct pad and polish and the rotary will give phenomenal results. You can easily damage the paint or the moldings with a rotary. The DA is almost fool proof and won't damage anything unless it's dropped.

Soccrluvr4, what difference does it make if I work on super cars/expensive cars or Honda Accords? The process needs to be done right, even if just working on a Volkswagon bus! I have been in multi million dollar homes that had worse build quality than a $200k home. That doesn't mean the build quality must be better because the builder builds expensive homes. Your argument doesn't hold water. A DA polisher is designed to be dual action. If you apply too much pressure to stop the rotation of the pad, then you are getting only single action. It will still work, but it's not as efficient. It is what it is. Get over it!

BTW, I might not work on multi million dollar cars, but I do work on award winning show cars. Thanks

I bought a Dual Action polisher, I have show car glaze, polish, yellow wax, and swirl x to remove the swirls. swirl x works pretty good. how many times do u over lap until u get all the swirls gone? 5 times? tips help man thanks homie!!
Old 09-09-2014, 04:30 PM   #16
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
I bought a Dual Action polisher, I have show car glaze, polish, yellow wax, and swirl x to remove the swirls. swirl x works pretty good. how many times do u over lap until u get all the swirls gone? 5 times? tips help man thanks homie!!

There is no real number of times to go over an area. Usually when the product is worked in is when your done. Wipe it off and inspect...

Get rid of that swirl x stuff...two words Chemical Guys. Go to youtube to watch all the videos. They have some of the best product on the market. The stuff you can buy from an auto parts store isnt always the stuff you should be using.
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 08:20 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal Stangman View Post
There is no real number of times to go over an area. Usually when the product is worked in is when your done. Wipe it off and inspect...

Get rid of that swirl x stuff...two words Chemical Guys. Go to youtube to watch all the videos. They have some of the best product on the market. The stuff you can buy from an auto parts store isnt always the stuff you should be using.
I agree. I've seen online videos that say to go over an area six times, but you need to go over the area until the product is broken down. It depends how hard you push down to how many passes it takes to break it down. If the pad isn't rotating enough to generate the needed heat, it will take longer.

With that said, the DA doesn't generate heat like a rotary does, but the principle is the same for breaking down the polish.

Some of the best products I've used are the 3M professional line found at paint and body supply stores or online. The first polish job I ever did was on a black car with 3M Rubbing Compound, a wool pad and then followed up with a black waffle pad and the 3M Finesse It polish for dark cars. This was done with a Flex rotary and I had an absolutely beautiful finish when I was done. The car was a '93 Camaro with 19k miles that came from a home on a dirt road with eight years of neglect from the previous owner. This picture was taken in 2006 before it was sold. No DA used on this car.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P6200005.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	206.7 KB
ID:	165638  
Old 09-09-2014, 08:25 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Polishing by hand? I'll leave 1984 where it belongs lol. That said, you'll get 56489376 responses as to which product works best. I'm partial to Menzerna.

Doesn't mean any of those others are bad, but I can tell you right now, do not buy products for correction from a chain store like autozone. It's garbage. Once you buy a professional product, you'll see why.

Quick note, anything that says "formulated for dark/light/this color cars" is complete crap. It's polish. The color of the paint makes 0 difference unless it has some sort of dye in it. Same goes for wax.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 09:08 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

The reason I used the 3M polish for dark cars was because it is designed for dark cars. It has fillers in it that will smooth out imperfections that might be slightly deeper than the rest of the paint surface. The 3M product is formulated for light or dark cars because of the fillers that are present in the polish. The 3M polish is also not a top coat finish. You need to wax, so the polish will remove the compounding marks, fill in any residual areas that need it and then a top coat of wax for protection.

I do agree that anything you buy at the big box stores that are designed for car color are for resale purposes. You apply it today, sell tomorrow and then after 3 car washes, the scratches and flaws return!!!! But that's the new owners issue at that point.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing