Has anyone got their car painted? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-03-2014, 07:21 PM   #1
Road Trip!

Region: California
Has anyone got their car painted?

What year / Body is your car and how much did you end up paying (Also, What color did you go with)?

I'm looking to get a clear picture of how much I should be paying for a new paint job for my 2013 Convertible. (In all black)
RushGotti is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2014, 07:29 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
I will be getting a repaint under warranty.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 07:31 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
price all depends on area you live in, quality of work and if any body work needs to be done. Unless someone on here lives in your city and can recommend a shop you can expect anywhere from 4-10k
TurboCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2014, 07:35 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by RushGotti View Post
What year / Body is your car and how much did you end up paying (Also, What color did you go with)?

I'm looking to get a clear picture of how much I should be paying for a new paint job for my 2013 Convertible. (In all black)
If you want a quality paint job that includes everything (ie door sills, trunk, proper masking, etc) then it will cost you a pretty penny. Could easily run you thousands. My only advice is to stay away from MAACO. Even their most expensive paint jobs look like crap. Tons of over spray and terrible prep work. Cheaping out on paint is instantly noticeable, unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangz View Post
I will be getting a repaint under warranty.
Good story. Not sure how it helps the OP, but interesting none-the-less.
Hack14GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 07:38 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
It's for paint bubbling over basically the entire top of the car. If it wasn't under warranty, it would have been 3K.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 07:41 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangz View Post
It's for paint bubbling over basically the entire top of the car. If it wasn't under warranty, it would have been 3K.
Exactly. Quality paint is crazy expensive.
Hack14GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 07:50 PM   #7
Road Trip!

Gah... Not what I expected =P!

But I did hear about the disaster stories of MAACO and their crappy paint jobs. I will definitely just go ahead and wait a bit longer until I can afford a good paint job.
Old 09-03-2014, 07:51 PM   #8
ME Bloodhound
Staff

A full paint job will be between 3-5k depending on the shop and the level of work.

When I eventually get my car repainted I plan to spend at least 5k+ for an amazing finish. Unless I learn how to do it myself by then.

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 11:17 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
3-5 was the norm when we took our cars from the shop to our paint guys. But yes, Maaco is terrible. Their paint jobs look like they hurled the paint straight out of the bucket and let 4 year Olds fingerpaint with it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 11:48 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Ever consider getting it dipped or vinyl? You can always go back to its original color.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Renuco612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 09:44 AM   #11
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renuco612 View Post
Ever consider getting it dipped or vinyl? You can always go back to its original color.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
I removed my old stripes and the vinyl was so cheap that even with a heat gun, The vinyl was coming off in pieces... After a while, I was able to get a nice big chunk to pull off in tact, But it came with some pants... Also the bumper has a few chips as well... I'd rather have fresh paint.
Old 09-08-2014, 08:19 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Paint is terribly expensive. I had the dealer refinish a spoiler in the factory color and they charged nearly $200. Couldn't imagine the whole car, it would cost thousands.
kingstrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 06:57 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Utah
Me personally I think plasti dip is ugly, there's always that one shop that is incredibly cheap around town got mine for under 2 G s full paint and dents now thats cheap as it gets and it wasn't bad

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
97cobraJomg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 08:09 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I'm a collision tech at a Certified Mercedes shop and I could tell you. You get what you pay for. When a car comes in. We only do what's on paper (the estimate). If you're not paying to remove and install everything then your car will get taped up, like they do at Maaco. Taping the car to prevent overspray is very tricky. That's why we really try to advise you to completely take apart your car. That's the way their painted from the manufacturer. This is a 99 CLK full body paint job. I'd say save up and do it right the 1st time
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1414286752.362201.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	716.7 KB
ID:	168481Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1414286772.377993.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	721.7 KB
ID:	168482

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
DanGTCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 08:39 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

My 95 cost me $5,000.00 for a good paint job.

2014 5.OHHHHHH
Noodles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 08:44 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

That's about right. When you pay to do it right they can give the car the love it needs. When you cut it cheap cause of limited funds. You gotta knock the car out as quick as possible cause you can't put a weeks worth of work in a car if the money's not there. And if they sand and polish all the imperfections and orange peal off it looks extra wet. That takes a lot of love

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
DanGTCS is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing