Taking Care of Leather Interior - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-11-2014, 10:29 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Taking Care of Leather Interior

Hey everyone.

I am trying to take as good of care of my 08 GT as I possibly can.

What can I do to take care of the leather interior? Every time I wash the car, I have been cleaning the leather with leather cleaner. However, My driver's seat is starting to crack and I am freaking out.

Is there something I'm doing wrong or is this normal for a 7 year old car? The passenger seat is still in amazing like-new shape as well as the back seats. The only one I'm having problems with is the driver's seat.

What can I do better?

Thanks!
meantang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2014, 07:32 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Probably nothing you can do. Chevrolet and Ford are the entry level lines of the manufacturer and they get the cheaper leathers. Lincoln and Cadillac get the premium leathers and they last longer. It's just the quality of the leather itself.
Old 09-11-2014, 08:00 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmoyer View Post
Probably nothing you can do. Chevrolet and Ford are the entry level lines of the manufacturer and they get the cheaper leathers. Lincoln and Cadillac get the premium leathers and they last longer. It's just the quality of the leather itself.
Ahh, that sucks. So all I can do is just wait till it gets bad enough to completely replace? i'm sure that will be extremely expensive. Lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2014, 08:05 PM   #4
Road Trip!

Region: Pennsylvania
08 Gt Premium here as well. Same situation. Back seats looks like a 2015 cadillac, passenger seat is still glossy , but the drivers seat is is gettin crack lines where I plop my ***. Oh well
Crixus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 08:20 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crixus View Post
08 Gt Premium here as well. Same situation. Back seats looks like a 2015 cadillac, passenger seat is still glossy , but the drivers seat is is gettin crack lines where I plop my ***. Oh well
Haha yeah, this is exactly how mine is. I'm going to call a local upholstery shop to see if there's anything they can do. It's not just crack lines, there are two small spots where there is an actual crack and you can see the stuff (foam I guess?) underneath. My hope is that they can fix these spots and then I'll just have to deal with the lines I guess.
Old 09-11-2014, 09:19 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Try Ebay. You should be able to get some leather take-offs for a decent price.
2014 Ruby Red V6 Premium, Pony Package, Magnaflow Street Axle-backs, MMD Hood Struts, SCT X4 with Steeda lifetime tunes, Boss 302 Strut tower brace, JLT Oil Separator, OEM extended range remote start, Raxiom Navigation.
dj2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 09:32 PM   #7
Road Trip!

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by meantang View Post
Haha yeah, this is exactly how mine is. I'm going to call a local upholstery shop to see if there's anything they can do. It's not just crack lines, there are two small spots where there is an actual crack and you can see the stuff (foam I guess?) underneath. My hope is that they can fix these spots and then I'll just have to deal with the lines I guess.
Are you sure it's actually cracked and not like discoloration? I had a couple of them in my 2007 Mustang, I used to hang my keys on my pants and some handcuffs when I would go to work, So during lunch hours they'd rub. It wasn't like broken, But it did look sort of like it was ripped.
RushGotti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 11:04 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RushGotti View Post
Are you sure it's actually cracked and not like discoloration? I had a couple of them in my 2007 Mustang, I used to hang my keys on my pants and some handcuffs when I would go to work, So during lunch hours they'd rub. It wasn't like broken, But it did look sort of like it was ripped.
I think you might be right. Some of the cracks aren't really cracks. They're more like black lines in the leather. However, there are two places on the seat with legitimate cracks. The foam or whatever it is underneath the leather can be seen in these two places. They are small but they are driving my crazy.

Hopefully I can find a local upholstery shop to fix it.
Old 09-16-2014, 08:59 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Update: I took my car to a local upholstery shop. They said they could sew one spot and replace a small piece of leather to fix the other spot. They said they could do this for 120$.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing