Ceramic or Powdercoat Axle Backs? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-16-2014, 10:21 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Question Ceramic or Powdercoat Axle Backs?

Okay so I am having a hard time finding the answer to this question:

How hot do the mufflers get? Not the headers, or anything near the engine, just simply the axle back mufflers.

I talked to a friend of a friend who's a powdercoater and he said he could either do ceramic or powdercoat on the axle backs and both would be fine with the heat. However, I am seeing mixed answers when I research which one to do. Obviously ceramic will be overkill, so no doubt there, it will just cost about $100 more. Although, if powdercoating is good enough I see no reason to spend the extra cash.

Normally I don't question the expert, but I am seeing mixed answers to this question so if anyone with experience has some insight or an article they can point me to please respond!
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2014, 11:10 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
I think the tips get somewhere around 250°F
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 11:33 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangz View Post
I think the tips get somewhere around 250°F
Thanks, do you have a source for this info.?

What about the muffler itself though?

The reason I'm asking is because he said he would rather coat (either powder or ceramic) the whole muffler and not just the tips to reduce the possibility of cracking around the edges. He's not charging me more than what the tips would cost anyway so it doesn't matter to me. I'm really more concerned with the heat of the muffler and not so much the tips.
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2014, 11:36 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I saw the info here on an exhaust thread a few months ago. Actual muffler, I'm not sure. I'd guess maybe 400°F
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 02:58 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Average Temps I found were ~200-300 degrees. It depends on how long the cars been running, weather etc as well.

If the powder coat can handle 400+ you should be fine.

Just don't try to plastidip it like a friend of mine did haha

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 03:07 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM91 View Post
Average Temps I found were ~200-300 degrees. It depends on how long the cars been running, weather etc as well.

If the powder coat can handle 400+ you should be fine.

Just don't try to plastidip it like a friend of mine did haha

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Yeah I just got off the phone with him he's very confident it will hold up without an issue. He's done it on his cars before so I see no reason not to.

Thanks for the feedback guys.
Old 09-16-2014, 03:41 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I plastidipped my tips and they've been holding up perfectly for the last 3 weeks. Will see what the results are as time goes by.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
DiESeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 07:50 PM   #8
Road Trip!

Region: Florida
I've powder coated 3 sets and they've held up fine. However, if you have a super charger and long tubes and you track your car, youll have a melted exhaust. Otherwise your fine.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Mikeyt03 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing