water spots on window - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-01-2014, 08:26 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
water spots on window

I purchased a brand new mustang about 2 months ago. I've washed the windows several times but no matter what I use I can't get the water spots to come off my windows. It's like they were somehow etched into the glass while the car sat on the lot for almost a year. Anyone ever had this issue? Does anyone have any ideas on how to get these darn spots off my windows? They are so bad it makes it difficult see out when the sun is in your face.
ridge_runner91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2014, 09:08 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Take it to the dealer and tell them
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 09:10 PM   #3
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
First.... What have you tried using to take the spots off?

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2014, 10:27 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I've used 2 different types of glass cleaner. Regular Windex and an auto glass cleaner. I've washed the car by hand several times (scrubbing the heck out of it), and even tried a clay bar.
Old 10-01-2014, 10:36 PM   #5
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Try using polishing it

HID end all thread
Old 10-01-2014, 10:44 PM   #6
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Region: Georgia
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
water spots on window

Alright if the clay bar didn't cut it then I suggest this stuff if it is really bad
http://www.eastwood.com/pro-glass-polishing-kit.html

Otherwise Zanio or Griots Garage will do just fine.

http://www.zainostore.com/product/Z-12.html

http://www.autogeek.net/griots-glass-polish.html
Old 10-01-2014, 11:04 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Try using some white vinegar on your windshield.
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 05:44 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Take white vinegar and mix with water in a spray bottle. That's what I always used to clean my boat after getting off the lake.
Ntbruncie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 08:13 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for the help guys! I'll try a small spot with the white vinegar first because I already have some, and move up to the polishes if that doesn't work. The Griots and Zaino products sound like they are exactly what I need!
Old 10-04-2014, 09:19 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Just a quick FYI. Don't use windex on a car. Anything ammonia based is not good. Especially if you have tint and get some on the inside.

My go-to is Stoner Invisible Glass.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 09:48 PM   #11
ME Bloodhound
Staff

I use invisible glass as well.

HID end all thread
Old 10-04-2014, 09:55 PM   #12
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Meguiars or Mothers (or both) make a water spot product for your windows. I almost bought some once and kinda wish I did. It would be nice to have. I hear it works really well on the tiny pit-like spots that are hard to get off.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
Old 10-22-2014, 05:30 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Just posting an update. I went to 4 different auto parts places looking for some of the glass polish with no luck. A few of them looked at me like I was smoking crack. Lol

I tried the white vinegar and it worked great. It doesn't appear to have had any negative effects on the glass. Thanks for the tips all!
Old 10-22-2014, 05:45 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridge_runner91 View Post
Just posting an update. I went to 4 different auto parts places looking for some of the glass polish with no luck. A few of them looked at me like I was smoking crack. Lol

I tried the white vinegar and it worked great. It doesn't appear to have had any negative effects on the glass. Thanks for the tips all!
Glass polish? You want cerium oxide. There's a polish specifically for it called ceriglass. But be VERY careful. If you swirl up glass, it's a mofo to get out. Do your homework before you open that can of worms.

2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
Old 10-22-2014, 07:33 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

I wasn't able to find any of the polish others above mentioned. I tried a small spot with the vinegar that was also recommended and it worked great so I didn't even need to try the polish.
Old 10-22-2014, 07:50 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I wasn't able to find any of the polish others above mentioned. I tried a small spot with the vinegar that was also recommended and it worked great so I didn't even need to try the polish.
You generally won't find the good stuff at box auto parts stores. You have to order online for the professional grade products.

Old 10-22-2014, 08:28 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
You owe me one (1) ham sandwich and one (1) cold beer.
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 09:59 PM   #18
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Region: Georgia
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
Vinegar is a great cleaner. You can mix some soap in with and you got an all purpose cleaner.
Old 11-03-2014, 02:18 PM   #19
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99ford View Post
Vinegar is a great cleaner. You can mix some soap in with and you got an all purpose cleaner.

Do you have to rinse off any vinegar when you used it?

2004 Azure Blue Mach 1
IG: @azurebluemach
Old 11-13-2014, 02:19 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Use hand paste wax.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
12.1 @ 117.9 (1.7) in 1/4th
7.6 @ 92.1 (1.6) in 1/8th
Speed_Mister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 06:10 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I realize OP solved his problem, but since this thread is here I'll share my 2 cents.

RainX makes a deep cleaning windshield kit, which is basically a clay bar with some other products. I've never tried it, but they also make another product called X-treme clean glass cleaner. Its a white paste that is rubbed into the window like a polish. I have used this to remove various stains and films of my windshield and it worked GREAT. You can apply it by hand or with a machine, and either way it takes some elbow grease. If using it by hand you need to use considerably pressure. However in my case it removed wiper marks, some odd discoloration from the base of the windshield by the wipers, and some tough to remove water spots. My arms were dead tired at the end though.

I got the X-treme clean at Walmart, and have seen it at various auto parts stores.
BadCon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 09:31 PM   #22

Region: New Jersey
Try Bonami cleanser. It won't scratch the glass. It leaves the glass smooth as hell and the drops bead off. The stuff is amazing for all sorts of things.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
Dondug is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing