painting over a perfectly good car - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-08-2014, 07:16 PM   #1
Registered Member
Region: Other
painting over a perfectly good car

SO. I have a grand marquis project car that Im going to use to learn the ins and outs of customizing on, because its a cheap car and Id rather learn how to do stuff than sell it for $1500. No matter what I do to the MGM, its not going to lose any more value, but it possibly could gain value. I have to learn this stuff, but I don't wanna try it on a car of value.

The next thing I want to do to it is learn how to paint. Can I just sand the perfectly good clearcoat that's on it right now, and then apply some primer and start there?

I don't want that orange-peel look that a lot of people get on their cars when they paint them at home. Can I polish the actual base coat before clear goes on? Im totally new so idk if that will cause swirls or something that I wont notice until clear goes on. I almost think that "How To Paint-- For Dummies" could be a sticky in this forum

Panther140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 03:10 AM   #2
Registered Member
Region: Maryland
Good choice to practice on the MGM and build your skill set first. I have never refinished a car but have done a little body work as well as finished a lot of guitars and prep work is the key to success with a glossy finish. Your best bet would be to visit one of the forums dedicated to finishing and body work or a book on the subject.
2014 Grabber Blue Mustang GT Premium with nav, RR and comfy packages, 3.73 limited slip axle and optional 19" machined aluminum wheels. Come hang out in the garage and check out my build so far!
kingstrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing