First detail - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-08-2014, 08:48 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
First detail

After seeing the new finish on my dib mustang, I decided to spruce it up a bit! I love detailing but could use any tips pros have!

Stared with mcguiars wash
-clay with quick detailed for lube
- wash again
-mcguiars sealant
- set for an hour in sun
- put inside garage for a few hours to cool
-mcguiars gold class carnauba paste

Ended up with a little on the trim (still finding a good method to get it off)

Results:Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1412819219.641236.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	849.8 KB
ID:	167620Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1412819265.846452.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	815.8 KB
ID:	167621

Feel free to school me on my method, still learning

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
WasSHOnow5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2014, 08:50 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Booty shot Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1412819453.609324.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	842.6 KB
ID:	167622

Old 10-08-2014, 09:02 PM   #3
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
First off i don't recommend waxing in the sun. Usually its best to just do it all in doors or in the shade.

What i do when i detail is rinse the car down, then i soap it all up, do highest point to lowest point since it'll be more dirty on the lower end. Rinse it all down again. Then what i do is soap it up one more time, and i use that as the clay bar lubricant, i find it much better than regular detail spray, and you can go a hell of a lot faster with it. After you are all clayed spray it down one last time. Then you can dry it.

After that you want to do the next part all inside the shade. Whether it is glaze, wax or sealant apply it with a premium applicator pad in straight lines, depending on the product you can either wipe it off right away or let it sit for a while. Some you want it to sit, and others they actually recommend wiping it off sooner.

If you don't already look into the 2 bucket wash method with grit gaurds, really helps keep down the risk of swirl marks in the paint.

Getting the excess wax off the trim, for a quick fix you can use an eraser, surprisingly helps, i have Mothers Back to Black, works pretty good.

Most of my products i've used have been Meguiars, a few days ago i ordered from Adams Polishes and it arrived today, i haven't even used the products yet and i already know that i'll be changing over to them.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2014, 09:03 PM   #4
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1412820198.385979.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	927.6 KB
ID:	167627

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1412820213.395231.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	730.8 KB
ID:	167628

Bullitts are better than Bullets

HID end all thread
Old 10-08-2014, 10:58 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks!!! I applied/washed with the same method using 2 buckets and grit guard and dried with a premium microfiber (dragging lightly across instead of rubbing) I appreciate the clay and shade tips and will do next time! In houston sometimes hard to get shade lol

Old 10-08-2014, 10:59 PM   #6
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasSHOnow5.0 View Post
Thanks!!! I applied/washed with the same method using 2 buckets and grit guard and dried with a premium microfiber (dragging lightly across instead of rubbing) I appreciate the clay and shade tips and will do next time! In houston sometimes hard to get shade lol

Yea I'm about to do my car on Friday. No garage available since I live on campus. Looks like I'll have to drive around to find some shade.

HID end all thread
Old 10-08-2014, 11:30 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
I wish I had a garage and/or driveway =( That rough apartment living.
DiESeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 05:58 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Beautiful car man!

that's a nice looking kit Soccerluvr4..... how much did it set you back?
ridge_runner91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 08:57 AM   #9

Region: Other
Your Mustang looks great. Here are some tips I hand out to folks at Show and Shines that ask me about detailing tips.

Car Detailing Tips

1. Spray car with water to remove any loose dirt and dust.

2. Wash car with a high quality car soap specifically designed to remove dirt but not the wax protection such as 3M Car Wash Soap.

3. When washing your car use the two bucket system. One bucket for soapy water and the other as a rinse. Before you reload your car wash mitts or rag with soap rinse it first to remove any dirt in the rinse pail. The whole purpose of this is to avoid any previous dirt you took off recontaminating the paint and possibly leave scratches.

4. Rinse off car with a hose without a nozzle. Nozzles tend to put more water on the car than you actually need. The more water on the car the more time it will take you to get it off.

5. Use a Meguiar's Drying Magnet to remove the water. The magnet will remove all the water.

6. Once the water has been removed let the car stand for a few minutes before waxing, this ensures that all water has been evaporated. WAX IN A SHADED AREA.

7. Waxing is best done in two steps. First apply an auto polish before the wax application. The polish acts as a sealing agent and helps to increase the shine once the wax is applied. When applying polish or wax it is essential to use straight lines. First example with the applicator make a smooth straight line move from the top of the hood to the front of the bonnet. Wipe it off with a microfiber towel in the same manner. The main reason that owners have swirl marks in their paint is that the polish and was is applied in a circular motion which goes against the factory application of paint which is applied in straight line moves.

8. When removing polish and wax it is essential to have two cloths for each application. One cloth removes the initial application and the second cloth buffs the paint. This means you should have two cloths for the polish and two cloths for the wax.

As an added note I used Meguiar's Ultimate Car Wax but set it up first with Meguiar's Polish. It is a bit time consuming but the shine is awesome.
Ray Spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 09:31 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Nice! What type of cloth do you use to remove the wax/polish? I've heard of some using orbitals to remove it, but I'd be too scared to introduce swirls!

Old 10-09-2014, 09:48 AM   #11
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Nice! What type of cloth do you use to remove the wax/polish? I've heard of some using orbitals to remove it, but I'd be too scared to introduce swirls!

Orbitals won't induce swirls, what you can do is wrap a microfiber towel around an orbital and use that on a low speed setting.

HID end all thread
Old 10-09-2014, 10:29 AM   #12

Region: Other
Quote:

If you buy the Meguair's Ultimate in comes with a black microfiber towel to wipe off the dried wax. You should then follow it up with a Meguair's Supreme Shine Towel.

Both these items can be bought on Amazon.com.
Ray Spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 10:27 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Took your advice! I'm now in love with CG V07 and Blacklight! More depth than I've seen in a while on a dark colored paint!

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1421857640.149946.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	173934

Old 02-16-2015, 09:16 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Maybe dumb question. But swirls will buff out? I have marks from drying that look like tiny scratches on my red Mustang but I thought they could be buffed out.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
Mschrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 09:40 PM   #15
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Yes they can be buffed out.... You want a dual action polisher with a light cutting compound, plenty of videos on youtube that show you how to do it. The reason they are there is from improper washing and drying... Take a look at the write up i made at the top of the appearance and detailing page.

HID end all thread
Old 02-18-2015, 03:37 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
First off i don't recommend waxing in the sun. Usually its best to just do it all in doors or in the shade.

What i do when i detail is rinse the car down, then i soap it all up, do highest point to lowest point since it'll be more dirty on the lower end. Rinse it all down again. Then what i do is soap it up one more time, and i use that as the clay bar lubricant, i find it much better than regular detail spray, and you can go a hell of a lot faster with it. After you are all clayed spray it down one last time. Then you can dry it.

After that you want to do the next part all inside the shade. Whether it is glaze, wax or sealant apply it with a premium applicator pad in straight lines, depending on the product you can either wipe it off right away or let it sit for a while. Some you want it to sit, and others they actually recommend wiping it off sooner.

If you don't already look into the 2 bucket wash method with grit gaurds, really helps keep down the risk of swirl marks in the paint.

Getting the excess wax off the trim, for a quick fix you can use an eraser, surprisingly helps, i have Mothers Back to Black, works pretty good.

Most of my products i've used have been Meguiars, a few days ago i ordered from Adams Polishes and it arrived today, i haven't even used the products yet and i already know that i'll be changing over to them.
Where did you get the Adam's polishes products?
Old 02-18-2015, 03:46 PM   #17
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011BlackGT View Post
Where did you get the Adam's polishes products?
Adam's Polishes | Premium Car Care Supplies

HID end all thread
Old 02-18-2015, 11:26 PM   #18
Registered Member

Regular

I know everyone has their favorite products, but for me I only use Chemical Guys. Their stuff works very good and is easy to use. Check them out.
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 05:43 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Meguiar's makes very good detailing products to use with a dual action polisher and my favorite , Croftgate.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 01:23 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
Thanks for the link, I appreciate it!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing