Ruined - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-09-2014, 10:26 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Ruined

Washed my car yesterday and got water spots all over. Washed it again today and then clay bar.....I was really hoping that that would get rid of the water spots and the ugly water runs going down the sides. I was wrong. It is so hideous.....I have ruined my beautiful stang. FML
stangs4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2014, 10:28 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangs4me View Post
Washed my car yesterday and got water spots all over. Washed it again today and then clay bar.....I was really hoping that that would get rid of the water spots and the ugly water runs going down the sides. I was wrong. It is so hideous.....I have ruined my beautiful stang. FML
Once you dry it, go back and use a detailing spray and microfiber towel to get rid of the water spots.
2014 V6 Base Coupe, Sterling Gray Metallic///3.31 Gears///FP6 Appearance Package///Tech. Package///Reverse Sensing and Security Package///Mods: Boss 302 grille, MMD Ducktail Spoiler, Weathertech Floor Mats, Bassani Axle-Back Exhaust
SixBanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 08:52 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks, SixBanger. I'll try it when I get home.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2014, 08:58 AM   #4
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
What are you using for car wash soap ???????????????

Whatever your using I would think you would need to toss it out and get McGuire's or Mothers car wash soap with wax.
If it's not the soap giving you problems it may be the water. Are you using "WELL WATER" ?
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 09:05 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

ronnie948, I am using Meguiars car wash soap and well water. I was thinking that since I have now washed it twice, could it be that I have taken off the wax and the spots and the runs could have been there from the dealership?
Old 10-10-2014, 09:10 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangs4me View Post
ronnie948, I am using McGuires car wash soap and well water. I was thinking that since I have now washed it twice, could it be that I have taken off the wax and the spots and the runs could have been there from the dealership?
Exactly what happened to me, and paint bumps. Smh, dealers suck.

I got it possibly resolved with a repaint under warranty, but being that I'm in college 200 miles from the dealer, and need my car for now, I won't have the repaint until December.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 09:21 AM   #7
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

It's probably the well water causing the problem.

If you are stuck using well water to wash your car you just need to wash it in the shade and wash it fast so you can dry it before it has a chance to dry before it spots.

I have been using a waterless wash made by Croftgate called Wash & wax.
It works great and all you do to use it is a few cap fulls in a bucket of water, soak a micro fiber towel and ring it out a little. Wipe it on and take a dry cloth and wipe it off a little at a time and it does a great cleaning job without using any rinsing.
Check this out

I never let my car get this dirty but after a rainy day it gets dirty enough I have to wash it. With the Croftgate wash & Wax it only takes a few minutes and it is done. I can use it inside of the garage.
I also use their Quick & Slick to keep a good coating of UV protection on my paint.
Go to" www.croftgateusa.com to check out their products.

Ronnie
Old 10-10-2014, 11:40 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Never use well water on a car. If using city water, check with them as to the hardness of the water. Anything above 100 ppm is going to spot. What is good for health in humans is not always good for other applications. Most hardness is calcium, so when it dries, it leaves a film. The best thing to do, is to use a modern car wash that recycles its water and has a spot free rinse cycle. Also avoid most water softeners. They remove the calcium, but replace it with salt, and we all know how salt effects our cars. The best thing is to use distilled or RO water.
Bear376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 12:48 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

They make filtration systems for your garden hose. They run anywhere from $120-200. You do have to change the filter out on rare occasion. I haven't sprung for it myself, but it's an option.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 01:36 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Try some light grit compound followed by a polish and wax.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
silvr002001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 04:17 PM   #11
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

No ! No ! No ! No ! No !

Do not use any abrasive like rubbing compound on your Mustang. Don't do it. It's only Water spots and not worth rubbing your clear coat off to rid the car of them. Your better off just going to a car wash weather it is a no touch run through or a wash it your self.

Then check out some good protection like Zaino or the Croftgate products. I used to use Zaino but found I like the products from Croftgate better.
I use the Wash & Wax
The Project X
The Quick & Slick
My Red Candy Mustang is a 2012 and always looks spiffy and shiny. ( Even when it is dirty)
Welcome to CROFTGATEUSA.com - Waterless Car Wash Product and Auto Detailing Products

Ronnie
Old 10-10-2014, 04:43 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear376 View Post
Never use well water on a car. If using city water, check with them as to the hardness of the water. Anything above 100 ppm is going to spot. What is good for health in humans is not always good for other applications. Most hardness is calcium, so when it dries, it leaves a film. The best thing to do, is to use a modern car wash that recycles its water and has a spot free rinse cycle. Also avoid most water softeners. They remove the calcium, but replace it with salt, and we all know how salt effects our cars. The best thing is to use distilled or RO water.

I don't know, I had my water softener plumbed outside for washing my cars years ago. It seems to be quite a common thing to do. Never heard anyone talking about it causing rust. You still get spots, but easier to remove than hard water spots.

GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 05:22 PM   #13
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Use a fine grade polish, you can do it by hand or by machine. Comes off pretty easy like that.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 02:00 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberMeBlue View Post
I don't know, I had my water softener plumbed outside for washing my cars years ago. It seems to be quite a common thing to do. Never heard anyone talking about it causing rust. You still get spots, but easier to remove than hard water spots.

It is not going to cause rust, but long term it can attack the finish. It is not a problem if you take care.
Bear376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 02:29 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear376 View Post
It is not going to cause rust, but long term it can attack the finish. It is not a problem if you take care.

Ok. Thanks!

GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 05:57 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

I never wash my Mustang outside. Wind and or sun accelerate the drying(spotting). I also keep the whole car wet until I'm ready to start drying. I also use an air compressor to get all the water out of the trim, window edges, grille etc. ,etc.
bodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 06:27 PM   #17
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodon View Post
I never wash my Mustang outside. Wind and or sun accelerate the drying(spotting). I also keep the whole car wet until I'm ready to start drying. I also use an air compressor to get all the water out of the trim, window edges, grille etc. ,etc.

Look into Rinseless wash, can clean it panel by panel, no need to spray the car down. I like it a lot better.

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 12:58 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
I have been using a waterless wash made by Croftgate called Wash & wax.
It works great and all you do to use it is a few cap fulls in a bucket of water, soak a micro fiber towel and ring it out a little. Wipe it on and take a dry cloth and wipe it off a little at a time and it does a great cleaning job without using any rinsing.
Nice to see someone else advocating waterless wash techniques. I personally have used both Dry Wash n Guard and Chemical Guy's EcoSmart which don't require water at all. I like both of them equally but EcoSmart is a little cheaper.

Happy to see a video demonstration on a truly dirty car (also a nice technique breakdown for dummies). So many times the car isn't even that bad but they say, "wow look at how amazing my product is!" Um, your car was hardly dirty to begin with, buddy lol.
trigga415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 01:40 PM   #19
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I was at forst really leery of the Croftgate wash & wax

Now that I tried it I love it. I really don't let my car get too dirty anyway. Now that I discovered this stuff I'll never have a dirty car again.
I do leave the rag pretty wet and rinse it often. I also use a lot of dry rags and don't skimp on using them. I bought a pack of 50 of them at the Turkey Rod Run for $35.00 last year plus the ones I had. I wash them all by themselves with All free & clear and "NO"BLEACH. I dry them without a softener sheet on medium and the rags still look and work brand new. Microfiber rags are all I use. I don't use anything else.
I do keep a nice coat of Croftgate Quick & Slick on my car. It is great UV protection plus it makes the car so smooth nothing really sticks to it. It also works great on the black plastic and rubber parts without leaving any white chalky crap.

I wish I discovered this stuff years ago.
Ronnie
Old 10-22-2014, 04:30 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for the tips. It's really helpful for guys in my situation that don't live in the burbs or have a driveway/ garage. I'm still trying out lots of products because only recently did I started researching how to properly wash a car. I also only use microfiber now, they're not expensive when you buy packs and your car will thank you for it.
Old 10-22-2014, 09:20 PM   #21
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

The Croftgate products are hard to beat.

www.croftgateusa.com

I used to use Zaino but I really like the Croftgate stuff a lot better.
Ronnie
Old 10-23-2014, 11:09 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

I'm going through their Youtube channel lol
Old 03-11-2015, 05:53 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
Do not use any abrasive like rubbing compound on your Mustang. Don't do it. It's only Water spots and not worth rubbing your clear coat off to rid the car of them. Your better off just going to a car wash weather it is a no touch run through or a wash it your self.

Then check out some good protection like Zaino or the Croftgate products. I used to use Zaino but found I like the products from Croftgate better.

I use the Wash & Wax

The Project X

The Quick & Slick

My Red Candy Mustang is a 2012 and always looks spiffy and shiny. ( Even when it is dirty)

Welcome to CROFTGATEUSA.com - Waterless Car Wash Product and Auto Detailing Products

Ronnie

Ronnie. Anytime I can help with any Croftgate questions just let me know....I am not only a rep ....but 1000% committed to the simplicity and perfection offered. Thank you for your honest opinions.

GTYUP 2011 Grabber Blue GT

1 of 56 as optioned !!!
GTYUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 06:25 AM   #24
Admin

Supporter
Admin

This may help that attaches to your garden hose to help with hard water issues:

http://www.amazon.com/Pre-Fresh-Gard.../dp/B00AXP8B9O
Old 03-15-2015, 11:23 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
I definitely recommend Waterless Wash. I use Pinnacle Liquid Waterless Wash, $20 gets you two gallons worth and it has wax in it. What you can do, is when washing your car, after your final rinse spray the waterless wash on your paint before drying. This helps get rid of any water spots / dried soap that occurred before you could dry it all. Hope I helped
binly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 04:36 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

As GTYUP stated, Croftgate! Wash & Wax is a must. Before and after pics. You won't be disappointed.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1426498556647.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	177574  
Borla S-Type stingers, BAMA SCT tuner, K & N Typhoon CAI, Classic Design Concepts light bar, MACH 1 chin spoiler, MACH 1000 w JVC Kvw 500 HU, plastidipped hood scoop, wing & Premium GT rims, painted calipers, 3.73 gears, black Bullitt fuel door, MMD hood struts, sub-frame connectors, SVE uca & lca, Power Stop drilled/slotted rotors
Peterzinyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 06:01 AM   #27
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Tennessee
Dang! Where do I sign up? Lol
Tint, louvers, Shelby brake light cover, sequentials, brake vent ring delete, Shorty antenna, JLT cold air intake, BAMA tune, VMP 2.5 S/C pulley, Ford racing shifter, MRT OR-H, SLP loudmouths, BMR adj PHB, BMR LCA, Eibach Pro-Kit, cobra jet big oval TB.
Ubnbit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 06:24 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
If the hard water spots aren't that old distiller vinegar can help with getting them off. Same principal as a coffee maker gets clogged with hard water flush it out with vinegar. Just make sure to re wax it after.
Old 03-16-2015, 07:15 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubnbit View Post
Dang! Where do I sign up? Lol

LOL. You can message me for details, out of respect for this forum I do not promote my site, but honored to help in any way that I can.

1 of 56 as optioned !!!
GTYUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 10:41 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Acid wash wash will get your water spots off , be very careful with this stuff due to its potency . It's definitely a two person job where someone wears rubber gloves and applies acid to the spotted area , let it sit for no longer than 4-5 seconds and a person behind sprays it with a hose . Only way I've ever gotten hard water spots off of my cars

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Psmith129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 12:52 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTYUP View Post
LOL. You can message me for details, out of respect for this forum I do not promote my site, but honored to help in any way that I can.

Sir, I would like to give my honest findings about Croftgate products but mainly focus on the Aquanil X and rinseless wash and wax. First, let me say that I am not employed with Croftgate USA. I am not a distributor of Croftgate products. I am in no way connected to Crogtgate or any particular detailing product or company.

I am strictly an enthusiast and have a side detailing business. I have been using Croftgate products now for several months. I have Aquanil X, Rinsless wash and wax, Quick and slick, Tire Shine, Multi Clean, and Project X.

Let me say that hands down, Croftgate Tire Shine is the King. This stuff is absolutely amazing on rubber and all plastic pieces. Quick and Slick is super. Project X does a nice job giving my Kona Blue a deep popping shine and really like the multi clean. Aquanil X works super on my paint as well as the wash and wax rinseless.

My mustangs paint was in real nice shape prior to ever using Croftgate products but really wanted some time saving cleaning products with similar great results and Croftgate is a home run.

I recently received a newer work vehicle and its a black, 2012 Dodge Charger RT that has around 71k miles on it. The paint was not faded but holy ***** was this paint in some f up state. The entire cars paint has horrible etched in water marks into the clear coat. I mean those water spots were as if they were burned into the clear coat. Lol. The entire car has horrible surface scratches to the paint. The cars had horrible swirl marks that look like hammered dog ***** when the sun hit the paint.

So, I'm ready for my Croftgate to tackle this on the test begins. I used my Aquanil X and spray down the car and used my wash and wax rinseless wash to clean the car. Not one single etched in water mark was removed. The car still had the swirl marks all over it and the surface scratches were all there. My Croftgate didn't do crap to correct this cars paint.

This car was in desperate need of getting detail clay because you could feel all the contaminants on its paint after it has just been washed. So I then clay bar the entire trunk, dry off, get out my Porter Cable 7424 DA polisher, orange cut pad and Meguiars ultimate compound.

Just one coat of ultimate compound and the entire trunk looked brand new. Every single etched in water mark was gone. The swirls were all gone, the surface scratches were all gone. It looked like the trunk was just painted.

So, here is my assessment. Croftgate is amazing for people who already take care of their cars and the paint is in good condition. If a cars paint is rough then Croftgate is not where you want to be until a paint correction is done, then use Croftgate to maintain.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 07:02 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mexico
I always wash my cars in the morning or evening where I can dry them before the water dries. The problem with that is we have those nats that swarm around and feed off of your blood at those times, making it very unpleasant. I can wear long pants and a long sleeve shirt, then that limits them to my ears, scalp, neck, flying up my nose, getting into my eyes, etc. But I do not have water spots on my car, lol.
2014SGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 11:53 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Just ordered my quick and slick, and project x today been using this for 3 years now and would never try something else and I tried the other once but croftgate is the only product I'm satisfied with.

MPT TUNE, Borla S-Type, Airaid Cai, Ford racing X pipe, Mac ceramic shorty headers, 2010 GT500 rims, 35% tint, Sr Springs, J&M phb, camber bolts, blacked out side markers, front and taillights.
shunc01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 02:16 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by shunc01 View Post
Just ordered my quick and slick, and project x today been using this for 3 years now and would never try something else and I tried the other once but croftgate is the only product I'm satisfied with.

MPT TUNE, Borla S-Type, Airaid Cai, Ford racing X pipe, Mac ceramic shorty headers, 2010 GT500 rims, 35% tint, Sr Springs, J&M phb, camber bolts, blacked out side markers, front and taillights.
I totally agree that quick and slick along with Project X are great products. Aquanil X is very nice for cars that have good condition paint.

If ones paint is in moderate shape or worse, then paint correction will be needed and Aquanil X isn't gonna cut the mustard.

2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 02:23 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
I totally agree that quick and slick along with Project X are great products. Aquanil X is very nice for cars that have good condition paint.

If ones paint is in moderate shape or worse, then paint correction will be needed and Aquanil X isn't gonna cut the mustard.

Yup they are, i clean my car first, clay bar it, use quick and sleek and top it off with project x to get that wet glossy look with the car, i clay bar my car at least once every 3 months or when its out from hibernation other than that i touch it up with just quick and sleek and project x..
shunc01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing