Car detailing - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-14-2014, 03:11 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Car detailing

Sorry I'm sure it's been posted on here somewhere but the search engine sucks. I have a 5 day weekend and I plan on really cleaning the car. Looking for some do's and donts. I'm currently using some meguires car wash I bought from autozone and armor all for the tires, that's it. I'm curious as to what soap, car wax, engine detailer, tire cleaner, and interior cleaner you guys are using. I have cloth seats that I'm not worried about cleaning as they are immaculate, im talking dash and panels. I've just been wiping them down with a microfiber cloth to remove dust. The dealership cleaned the engine with some shiny stuff, not sure what it is and I've used a rag to wipe some dirt off it couple times since I got it. I've never waxed a car before, always payed for it. I love this car and don't want someone doing a crappy job so I'm going to give it a try myself. At least if it doesn't come out good I did it myself. So some help on cleaning products and cleaning accessories would be helpful.If there's another thread that you want to point me to instead of answering would also be very helpful. Thanks in advanced.
Cooolbreeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2014, 06:27 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I use a Mothers clay bar and Meguiars gold class wax. There are a lot of options out there. AutoGeek.com has a lot of good stuff like Adams ect. I hear Aerosapce 303 for vinyl is good. Got a bottle of that at Napa per another thread.
Stangholio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 06:40 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1415968808.965526.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	916.6 KB
ID:	169668

Thats me and stangholio after we waxed our cars

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Laquisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2014, 07:43 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Those look nice and shiny. Thanks to whoever moved this into the appropriate place, still learning my way around the forum.
Old 11-14-2014, 07:49 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Just hit the big mustang evolution banner on top of page and a whole new world opened up. Haha, this whole time I thought it was just the forums you get from clicking on the gt or v6 forum up top. Should make searching for things easier.
Old 11-14-2014, 09:28 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
lol. well personal preference, I currently use stuff that can be bought in stores, not the Eite Online only stuff.
My favorite brand is Surf City Garage. I use the car wash, the wax, the spray detailers, and interior cleaner. most of those can be bought at a walmart.
the stuff in the engine bay is usually tire shine. if its nice and shiny, then cleaning the engine bay should be a breeze. I use Simple Green under the hood, and usualy an interior shine on the rubber and plastics. If its already pretty clean, dilute the simple green. if its an old used car, full strength.
Tires, ive heard that meguiars purple gel stuff works the best. Ive only used the cheap stuff and usually disapointed. I have a can of TurtleWax tire foam, which does what i want it to do. makes the tires blacker, but not glossy. Rims, i try to stick with regular car wash unless it gets real dirty. i its maintained clean, its easier to keep clean. otherwise i use meguiars wheel cleaner (purple bottle)
I apply my wax by hand most of the time but orbital buffers are great.
between waxing, i like to use a spray wax after a wash. right now my favorite is the surf city garage hot rod detailer. says it has extra uv protection, and it leaves a nice shine. for cleaning dust off, i usualy use their other quick detailer and a microfibre.
if you have any other specific questions, just ask. im not a professsional, but ive been detailing for years now, so have a lot of hands on experience with different products and methods, and always happy to share.
Old 11-14-2014, 10:00 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I use Meguiars Gold Class wash, their Ultimate Quik detailing spray and tire cleaner. On the inside I use 303 Aero. It doesn't leave the interior shiny, just clean, and it doesn't attract dust like Armour All.
stangs4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 12:01 PM   #8
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Alright here is what i do....

2 bucket method: Fill up 2 buckets of water, and put grit guards in both of them. Then put your car was soap in only one of the buckets. What you do is rinse off the car like normal and then take your wash mitt from the bucket with the soap, wipe down a panel of the car, and then put it into the bucket that does not have soap in it, rub it against the bottom where the grit guard is, it acts just like its name, it collects the dirt and traps it down there. Then after that transfer the mitt over to the other bucket with the soap, and do the same thing, that ensures you get ALL of the dirt off the wash mitt before putting it back on the paint.

Then what i do about once or twice a year is clay bar the car, literally you take small pieces of clay, flatten them out and rub them along your cars paint, it collects all the tiny tiny contaminants that are stuck to the paint you normally wouldn't even see. Some people dry off the car when it is clean and use detail spray as lubricant ( you need lubrication for it), what i do is in the middle of the washing when it is all soaped up then i use it, goes much faster.

As for waxing, well there are a few different types of things you can do.

Caranuba paste wax: Good protection and great shine, for this it comes in a tub and you use a hand applicator and put some on the pad and the begin to wipe it on the car in straight lines (don't pay attention to the wax on wax off of the karate kid).

Caranuba liquid wax: Essentially the same thing, application is it is in more liquid form and you squeeze out a little onto your applicator. Portion control is easier with the paste, as if you use too much it is too hard to get off.

Synthetic wax: Wax made out of polymers, supposed to be "better" but i personally don't like it too much.

Glaze: A glaze is kind of the same, it is usually applied like a liquid wax. A glaze isn't as durable as a wax, but it makes the paint POP. So if your car only goes out on weekends or every other weekend this is for you.

Sealant: A sealant is the opposite of a glaze, it is super durable to where you won't have to apply again for damn near 6 months, but it isn't as shiny (still more shiny than nothing on your paint at all).

As for the interior, you don't need to be as super careful with it since it doesn't scratch like paint. Right now i just use an all purpose cleaner and it works great.

As for products i recommend, i recently switched over to all Adams products, they are on the more expensive side, so they aren't for everyone. But i really like them.

I don't have access to a hose at school so i use their rinseless wash, it is essentially the same as normal car washing, but i don't have to rinse the car down, i just spray a diluted mix of it on the paint before hand from a spray bottle, then take the microfiber towel i use out of the bucket and wipe it down, then take a dry one and dry it off, no need to rinse it off at all. Most of these you can only get online, unless you have specific dealers in your area.

Here are a few links of the stuff i use. I could have typed more, but i have to get ready for class in 30 minutes.

Rinseless Wash
Detail Spray
Detail Spray
Wheel Cleaner
All Purpose Cleaner
Tire Shine
Clay Bar
Bucket & Grit Guard
Applicator Pad

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 12:18 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

ugh i just had a ton of writing in here to add to all of this and i hit the back button and it left the page. so im just gonna narrow it down to this:

^I agree with soccerluvr4^

Ive never used adams products myself, but i bet they are pretty good.
Old 11-14-2014, 01:37 PM   #10
ME Bloodhound
Staff

In between classes... But I used to use all Meguiars stuff, I love Adams even more now so I'm slowly switching over.

Bullitts are better than Bullets

HID end all thread
Old 11-16-2014, 10:38 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
For the interior I use the armour all interior wipes they work great o everything including the seats and carpet they really works, cleaned the interior of my car like a month ago and have had no need to clean it since and it doesn't leave any long or smell behind even though I think they have some out their that is scented
Hope this helps
Cheers

FRPP tower brace,SVT front sway bar,SVT rear sway bar
FRPP lowering springs,FRPP brakes ,3.31 gears
Loudv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 11:35 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks you guys, didn't get around to cleaning it thus weekend so hoping for tomorrow or Tuesday. Glad it's not very dirty.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
Old 11-17-2014, 06:47 PM   #13

Region: Delaware
If you want quick results after wash, try eagle one spray nano wax.

The Toyota brand wash is probably the best I have seen for water beading, better than gold class and Adams pink

I also used Adams quick sealant and it lasts very long

paulstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 06:54 PM   #14
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulstang View Post
If you want quick results after wash, try eagle one spray nano wax.

The Toyota brand wash is probably the best I have seen for water beading, better than gold class and Adams pink

I also used Adams quick sealant and it lasts very long

The pink stuff by Adams is detail spray. It does have a tiny bit of polymers in it, but it's not a spray wax.

HID end all thread
Old 11-17-2014, 06:56 PM   #15
ME Bloodhound
Staff

1. Adams Rinseless Wash
2. Chemical Guys Wet Mirror Finish Glaze
3. Meguiars Ultimate Paste wax

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1416272170.133436.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	1.00 MB
ID:	169854

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1416272184.196812.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	853.7 KB
ID:	169855

HID end all thread
Old 11-17-2014, 10:05 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Maguires here

Soccerluvr4 wuz here
Laquisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 06:25 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
1. Adams Rinseless Wash

Attachment 169854
Attachment 169855

If it werent for permanent bug damage on the front bumper, and highway damage on the front hood, mine would be lookin like soccerluvr's bullit, except white. the rest of the paint is very good for its age. except for a couple dings and scrapes. i was stuck living in an apt for a year where all the neighbors pretty much gave up in life and drive beaters. cant wait to get out of this town, then ill be ready to repaint.
Old 11-19-2014, 07:04 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
1. Adams Rinseless Wash

Attachment 169854
Attachment 169855

Andrew, I thought I knew who you are. Lol. Your on Lethal Mustangs FB. Your car looks great.

I'm an admin over at Lethal. 😎
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 09:35 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

I used Adam's rinseless wash this weekend, for the first time, and I really liked it. It smells good. Only complaint I have is that the spout leaked and had it all over the place.
stangs4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 11:34 AM   #20
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangs4me View Post
I used Adam's rinseless wash this weekend, for the first time, and I really liked it. It smells good. Only complaint I have is that the spout leaked and had it all over the place.

That part you gotta make sure you press down firmly when you are done. When you pull it up to pour it will literally just start to come out. You can control how much it comes up and down though.

HID end all thread
Old 11-19-2014, 11:35 AM   #21
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
Andrew, I thought I knew who you are. Lol. Your on Lethal Mustangs FB. Your car looks great.

I'm an admin over at Lethal. 😎

Yea. I recognized you also lol

HID end all thread

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing