What types of cleaning products work the best ? - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-13-2014, 06:47 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
That's so true. After trying Croftgate detailing products, I'm hooked.
I'll have to give them a try when I'm out of Meguiar's.
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2014, 05:26 PM   #37

Region: Alabama
I use chemical guys for washing and use shine supply quick detailer spray metal polish tire shine and degreaser. Don't use armor all it rots the tires. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1418858640.198038.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	686.8 KB
ID:	172083
My gt
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1418858725.447935.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	797.9 KB
ID:	172085
My friends 14 I detailed

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1418858769.380123.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	203.3 KB
ID:	172086
Products

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1418858807.343877.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	796.4 KB
ID:	172087

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
EvilGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 09:45 AM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGT View Post
I use chemical guys for washing and use shine supply quick detailer spray metal polish tire shine and degreaser. Don't use armor all it rots the tires. Attachment 172083
My gt
Attachment 172085
My friends 14 I detailed
Attachment 172086
Products
Attachment 172087

Your pony looks beautiful, very nice. If you don't mind me asking what do you pay for the tire shine that you mentioned and what size bottle is it?

Also how much does the wash and wax cost that you are using from chemical guys and what The car wash that you are using is that a waterless system or a rinse less system?
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2014, 09:49 AM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

This is Croftgate tire shine and Croftgate wash and wax. The tire shine works on all plastics as well.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1418917660540.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	172127   Click image for larger version

Name:	1418917680720.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	172128  

Name:	1418917706996.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	172129   Click image for larger version

Name:	1418917732989.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	172130  

Name:	1418917751126.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	172131   Click image for larger version

Name:	1418917771525.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	172132  

Name:	1418917790268.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	172133  
Old 12-18-2014, 12:19 PM   #40

Quote:
Your pony looks beautiful, very nice. If you don't mind me asking what do you pay for the tire shine that you mentioned and what size bottle is it?

Also how much does the wash and wax cost that you are using from chemical guys and what The car wash that you are using is that a waterless system or a rinse less system?

I bought the 16 oz tire shine for $17. I diluted it 3-1 so I have a good amount. The car wash from chem guys I use is citrus wash and clear. It's not waterless. I might try something from shine supply next but I bought 2 gallons of wash from cg so I'm good for a while. The tire shine from shine supply also works on black plastics and rubber as well.

Old 12-18-2014, 06:34 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGT View Post
I bought the 16 oz tire shine for $17. I diluted it 3-1 so I have a good amount. The car wash from chem guys I use is citrus wash and clear. It's not waterless. I might try something from shine supply next but I bought 2 gallons of wash from cg so I'm good for a while. The tire shine from shine supply also works on black plastics and rubber as well.

Wow bro, 17 dollars for 16 oz tire shine. Ouch. For that price, it must be some amazing stuff. What is the tire shine called?, I hear in my mustang club how very expensive Croftgate detailing products are but I'm paying no where near that for Croftgates tire shine. For 16 oz Croftgate tire shine I'm paying just $5 dollars.
Old 12-18-2014, 07:22 PM   #42

Quote:
Wow bro, 17 dollars for 16 oz tire shine. Ouch. For that price, it must be some amazing stuff. What is the tire shine called?, I hear in my mustang club how very expensive Croftgate detailing products are but I'm paying no where near that for Croftgates tire shine. For 16 oz Croftgate tire shine I'm paying just $5 dollars.

It's called hyper shine. It's water based so it doesn't grease your tires. It dilutes 1:1 to 3:1 It does work really well my favorite so far.

Old 12-18-2014, 07:40 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
What would you recommend to get light swirl marks out? Wash with dawn, clay the car then use a polish? Black is the bane of my existence. I want to use a good sealer wax, the overcoat it with a carnuba wax for shine.
paintmann111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 07:42 PM   #44
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintmann111 View Post
What would you recommend to get light swirl marks out? Wash with dawn, clay the car then use a polish? Black is the bane of my existence. I want to use a good sealer wax, the overcoat it with a carnuba wax for shine.

Light swirl marks you can use a fine polish, I have Meguiars Ultimate Polish right now, and it's ok. I'll be using Adams Finishing polish next.... and using a DA polisher would make it easier and take them out better. But can be done by hand.

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 06:13 AM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I didnt think the meguiars ultimate polish did anything besides hide the swirls. Maybe I gotta give it another try.

Also just keep in mind, dish soap contains no lubricants to help prevent swirls. I know your all polishing afterword, but just wana make sure that anyone who skips that step knows.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 12-19-2014, 07:10 AM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

I had been using Meguiars Ultimate products and they do a good job. If you have an orbital or DA polishing machine, far easy when using those products. If you're looking to remove the swirl marks and use an ultimate detailing product, use the compound. The Meguiars ultimate compound to remove the swirl marks.

For a much easier method of removing swirl marks, just use Croftgate Aquanil X waterless car wash. Spray on, wipe off. Removes the swirl marks.
Old 12-19-2014, 08:08 AM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
I'll have to give the crofgate a try. The dawn soap was to strip the wax an fillers out of the paint making claying more effective, then I would use some sort of polish. I've tried the ultimate polish, but it doesn't really give that great of a result. I really need a true HARD paint sealant as well instead of carnauba based stuff.
paintmann111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 08:36 AM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I'll have to give the crofgate a try. The dawn soap was to strip the wax an fillers out of the paint making claying more effective, then I would use some sort of polish. I've tried the ultimate polish, but it doesn't really give that great of a result. I really need a true HARD paint sealant as well instead of carnauba based stuff.
If you are looking to remove all the existing wax build up on your car then dish detergent like Dawn is a great thing to use to accomplish that. Croftgate has a product called quick and slick. It is like a paint sealant that you spray on a microfiber towel, wipe on the car and let it harden.

This product will leave your paint finish very slippery and and does not does not allow contaminants to penatrate into the paint. Water, bird droppings, tar spots, bugs, etc will sit on top of the paint but not attach itself into the paint. Just a few days ago while out with my pony it began to rain very heavy.

When I returned home and parked in the garage I never wiped off any of the water that was on the car. A day later, there were almost no water spots on my car. I have only used this quick and slick product one time thus far and getting ready to wash and put another round of quick and slick on today.
Old 12-19-2014, 12:06 PM   #49
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:

Its a harder polish to use. I had troubles getting it to work at first but when i figured out how to use it best it does decent.

HID end all thread
Old 12-19-2014, 12:10 PM   #50
ME Bloodhound
Staff

A true sealant is going to work best for the car. These usually come in a liquid form.

A was, glaze and sealant can all act the same when freshly applied. The sealant is going to be the longest lasting. Quick and Slick you apply routinely so while it isn't good product it doesn't last as long as a sealant would.

HID end all thread
Old 12-19-2014, 12:12 PM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
Its a harder polish to use. I had troubles getting it to work at first but when i figured out how to use it best it does decent.

Whats your secret? I still have half a bottle left and my mom has a black lexus covered in neglect.
Old 12-19-2014, 12:16 PM   #52
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenixignition View Post
Whats your secret? I still have half a bottle left and my mom has a black lexus covered in neglect.

It likes small sections and lots and lots of movement. You really gotta work it in. I use a buffer with it which makes it a lot easier than when I used to use it by hand.

HID end all thread
Old 12-19-2014, 01:30 PM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
A true sealant is going to work best for the car. These usually come in a liquid form.

A was, glaze and sealant can all act the same when freshly applied. The sealant is going to be the longest lasting. Quick and Slick you apply routinely so while it isn't good product it doesn't last as long as a sealant would.

You sir are correct and I should of been more clear on my thoughts. Lol. The Quick and Slick product acts similar to a true sealant in the sense that it stops contaminents from staining into the paint. Quick and slick is also a spray liquid and needs to be re applyed after every third car wash.

I believe sealants would last longer with just one application where as quick and slick needs to be re applied to keep its 100% effectiveness.
Old 12-19-2014, 01:36 PM   #54
ME Bloodhound
Staff

A true sealant can last up to 6 months. But then there are also those $600 waxes that are supposed to go on like wax, look like glaze, and last like a sealant. Have yet to spend that much on wax though lol

HID end all thread
Old 12-19-2014, 02:11 PM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
A true sealant can last up to 6 months. But then there are also those $600 waxes that are supposed to go on like wax, look like glaze, and last like a sealant. Have yet to spend that much on wax though lol

I spent 27 dollars on a 32 oz bottle of quick and slick. That will last me more than 6 months. Lol. You only put it on like every third wash. Lol
Old 12-19-2014, 02:17 PM   #56
ME Bloodhound
Staff

And a $27 bottle of sealant will last you god knows how long if you apply it once every 6 months lol.

I love using detail spray, but for my true protection I always seem to go back to the traditional paste wax.

HID end all thread
Old 12-19-2014, 02:35 PM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
And a $27 bottle of sealant will last you god knows how long if you apply it once every 6 months lol.

I love using detail spray, but for my true protection I always seem to go back to the traditional paste wax.

Quite a while it will last. Lol
Old 12-19-2014, 03:12 PM   #58
ME Bloodhound
Staff

I have never finished a thing of wax. I always want to try something else and stop using the old one. At least for liquid and paste. Spray stuff is easy to go through.

HID end all thread
Old 12-19-2014, 05:58 PM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I have never finished a thing of wax. I always want to try something else and stop using the old one. At least for liquid and paste. Spray stuff is easy to go through.
I know that feel bro. I got tons piled up.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 12-19-2014, 06:09 PM   #60
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Currently on Meguiars Ultimate Paste Wax. Works pretty good when using the right applicator. I had a MF disk and it was a PITA with that. I got one of the Adams Hex Grip applicators and it goes on and comes off like butter now.

I'm about due for another coat of wax also. I'll wait for the rain to stop.

HID end all thread
Old 01-14-2015, 01:37 PM   #61
Registered Member
Regular

Not sure if it's been mentioned yet but I love the Ammo line of products. The Ammo Skin I think is the best sealing product I've owned. you can check Larry out on youtube. (AmmoNYC)

He is kinda crazy passionate about detail so be ready for his brand of OCD.
I work with hennessey performance and I know when they need a car really taken care of they turn to Larry and his line of products.
TFH_Famine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 09:52 PM   #62
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Currently on Meguiars Ultimate Paste Wax. Works pretty good when using the right applicator. I had a MF disk and it was a PITA with that. I got one of the Adams Hex Grip applicators and it goes on and comes off like butter now.

I'm about due for another coat of wax also. I'll wait for the rain to stop.
Up until about 2 months ago the Meguiars Ultimate Compound, Polish and Wax was my go too. I have a dual action porter cable polisher and the results were really good. The issue was it just took too long to do. By the time I traditional washed with bucket and hose, dry off, recondition exterior plastics and tires, and put coat of wax on, I'm 6 hours into it.

My now go to detailing products are Croftgate and it takes me a fraction of the time to wash and wax and seal and recondition exterior plastics compared to the traditional way listed above. The end results , my pony looked as good if not better using Croftgate compared to spending 6 to 7 hours cleaning the traditional way.

As I told another mustang club tonight. I don't give a crap what people use to clean their cars. I don't care if people even clean their cars. Lol. I'm not selling Croftgate, I'm not an employee for Croftgate, I'm not a distributor for any detail cleaning products so makes no difference to me what people use.

I just be passing on friendly information on a product that has worked really well for me. I'm loving my results and paints finish!
Old 01-14-2015, 09:59 PM   #63
Registered Member
Regular

Oh DAT finish! Not bad for being 4 years old and 45k miles on her..
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1421294298119.jpg
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	173569   Click image for larger version

Name:	1421294311735.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	173570  

Name:	1421294331145.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	173571   Click image for larger version

Name:	1421294345458.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	173572  

Name:	1421294367205.jpg
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	173573  
Old 01-14-2015, 10:08 PM   #64
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Up until about 2 months ago the Meguiars Ultimate Compound, Polish and Wax was my go too. I have a dual action porter cable polisher and the results were really good. The issue was it just took too long to do. By the time I traditional washed with bucket and hose, dry off, recondition exterior plastics and tires, and put coat of wax on, I'm 6 hours into it.

My now go to detailing products are Croftgate and it takes me a fraction of the time to wash and wax and seal and recondition exterior plastics compared to the traditional way listed above. The end results , my pony looked as good if not better using Croftgate compared to spending 6 to 7 hours cleaning the traditional way.

As I told another mustang club tonight. I don't give a crap what people use to clean their cars. I don't care if people even clean their cars. Lol. I'm not selling Croftgate, I'm not an employee for Croftgate, I'm not a distributor for any detail cleaning products so makes no difference to me what people use.

I just be passing on friendly information on a product that has worked really well for me. I'm loving my results and paints finish!
When it comes to actual polishing there aren't really any other ways than the good ol polisher. When using wash and wax if there are any swirls it only fills them in and hides them rather than corrects them. As great as any detailing product is, no matter what, whenever you touch your paint you introduce very fine scratches into it. Often it is small enough to where the wash and wax you are using simply fills it in, which is why it isn't noticed. But they are there, just hidden.

As for the waxing. I've tried almost everything you can think of. Liquid, paste, spray, sealants, glazes ect...... For a car like yours that has the lovely life of living in a garage i would definitely use spray waxes all the time because of how easy it is. I've noticed that for durability paste waxes usually last longest on my car since it sits outside and is always in contact with the environment. Just my preference though. Also the paste lasts a hell of a lot longer (in the tub). A tub of paste wax even applied monthly will last years.

HID end all thread
Old 01-14-2015, 10:11 PM   #65
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFH_Famine View Post
Not sure if it's been mentioned yet but I love the Ammo line of products. The Ammo Skin I think is the best sealing product I've owned. you can check Larry out on youtube. (AmmoNYC)

He is kinda crazy passionate about detail so be ready for his brand of OCD.
I work with hennessey performance and I know when they need a car really taken care of they turn to Larry and his line of products.
I'm a fan of Ammo also. As of right now the only thing i use from him is the microfiber towels. I want to try the Ammo Mud Tire Gel next though.

HID end all thread
Old 01-14-2015, 10:27 PM   #66
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
When it comes to actual polishing there aren't really any other ways than the good ol polisher. When using wash and wax if there are any swirls it only fills them in and hides them rather than corrects them. As great as any detailing product is, no matter what, whenever you touch your paint you introduce very fine scratches into it. Often it is small enough to where the wash and wax you are using simply fills it in, which is why it isn't noticed. But they are there, just hidden.

As for the waxing. I've tried almost everything you can think of. Liquid, paste, spray, sealants, glazes ect...... For a car like yours that has the lovely life of living in a garage i would definitely use spray waxes all the time because of how easy it is. I've noticed that for durability paste waxes usually last longest on my car since it sits outside and is always in contact with the environment. Just my preference though. Also the paste lasts a hell of a lot longer (in the tub). A tub of paste wax even applied monthly will last years.
Perhaps the swirl marks are hidden but I guess if it doest look like its there. Good enough for me. Ha ha ha. If people can't see them, if i can't see them, then its a winner for me. Lol
Old 01-14-2015, 10:55 PM   #67
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Perhaps the swirl marks are hidden but I guess if it doest look like its there. Good enough for me. Ha ha ha. If people can't see them, if i can't see them, then its a winner for me. Lol
Gotta agree also lol. I saw some minor swirls on my car, polisher is at home so i put on some glaze and then some wax. Much better now lmao.

HID end all thread
Old 01-15-2015, 06:55 AM   #68
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Gotta agree also lol. I saw some minor swirls on my car, polisher is at home so i put on some glaze and then some wax. Much better now lmao.
Ha ha ha. I'm gonna still keep my dual action polisher in case I need it. It works real nice with the Megs compound, polish and waxes it just takes sooooo long. Lol. Croftgate has a product called quick and slick and its awesome. Funny story about Croftgate being talked about.

I'm was with a local mustang club until last night and told the admin to remove me off the clubs roster. I had originally posted to the club about which oil and oil filter are you guys using. Not to debate oil but just car talk B.S. A member mentioned they used Amsoil. Another member commented back how Amsoil was good but he would never use it because the company uses a pyramid scheme to sell the oil and he was tired of getting spam on there company.

Another member then chimmed in and said he was tired of getting spam emails from Amsoil and Croftgate detailing products as well. This caused the previous member to start talking about Croftgate and how much bullcrap the product was.

Being that I use Croftgate I began having just a friendly discussion with him on the bennifts of Croftgate and my own personal results with the product. Just typical car care cleaning talk amoust mustang enthuisits. Now please keep in mind, I don't give a rats nut what car detailing products the members use or don't use in my local mustang club. I don't care if they wash there car or not.

I don't sell Croftgate. I don't work for Croftgate, I don't sell any detailing products. I was just sharing my own experiences about Croftgate after that one member said Croftgate was basectly bull.

An admin member then comments how I needed to stop selling my crap on there and that members don't want to hear it . That nobody wants to be spammed by me about Croftgate and stop pushing Croftgate to the members.

I then notice after a short while that my entire post was erased and gone. By the way our club communicates through its Facebook page.

That admin then private messaged me via Facebook and told me he took down that entire post. He also said that I need to stop selling and pushing for Croftgate on the clubs site. That several club members were making complaints about how I was pushing Croftgate and its crap that I was doing that.

I then explained to this worthless club admin that let's get something straight. I am not selling Croftgate or any detailing product nor do I give a crap what the members choose to detail their cars with. I then told the admin to immediately remove me from the clubs roster, want nothing to do with a club that has members who complain about me sharing information on car detailing care.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing