Painting CDC Chin Spoiler - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-13-2014, 05:51 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Painting CDC Chin Spoiler

So back in May I purchased an unpainted CDC Aggressive Chin Spoiler. I painted it myself with aerosol cans, but the paint kept cracking. After a few attempts of sanding and repainting I eventually got it painted without cracking. Unfortunately I got in an accident recently and the chin spoiler was repainted at a shop. While it looked great at first the spoiler began peeling, even though the car has been driven less than 500 miles since I got it back. I called the shop and they said the chin spoiler wasn't damaged in the accident, they repainted it as a courtesy, and won't repaint it. I sanded it down so I can start fresh. Does anybody have a suggestion on how to paint it without cracking or peeling? My first thought is to plasti dip it, but what if I wet sanded it with a really high grit sandpaper? Do you think it would be smooth enough? Or look like ****? I really don't want to have a shop paint it. Any input would be helpful. Thanks
PonyOnTheBeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2014, 12:12 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
With such a small part as a chin spoiler I would just plastidip , unless you really know what you're doing with paint it will probably look below average but just my opinion. I believe they sell a sealant now for plastidip that will make it look painted so you may want to check that out as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Psmith129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 06:29 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Ok thanks. Do you know if the plasti dip will behave differently since it is sanded? I've use plasti dip several times before, but they were all on parts of my car with paint and clear coat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2014, 02:20 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Ooh that I'm not sure on. I would test a small sample before dipping the whole part. As you know, plastidip is pretty safe .

Psmith129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 02:23 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by PonyOnTheBeach View Post
Ok thanks. Do you know if the plasti dip will behave differently since it is sanded? I've use plasti dip several times before, but they were all on parts of my car with paint and clear coat.
It should cover it just fine, may just take a few more coats to fill all the dips in and make it smooth. Plasti dip just builds up in the dents, chips, scratches and will actually make it into a smooth surface again
Old 12-14-2014, 02:44 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Ok thanks so much guys, I plan on doing it tomorrow.
Old 12-14-2014, 07:52 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Did you use any Adhesion Promoter when you painted it? When I painted my side window louvers that's what I used to help the paint stick better. So far it's still holding up pretty good, no peeling, cracks or flakes.

Old 12-14-2014, 09:35 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

No I didn't, I'm going to plasti dipping first, if it doesn't turn out well I'll Paul it off the car and try that

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing