Does anyone have issues with minor scratches from washing it? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-14-2014, 11:46 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Does anyone have issues with minor scratches from washing it?

over the past few months washing my car over and over has caused fine small scratches on the hood am i the only one or does every one with dark cars have that problem cause i wash my shammy many times b4 im done washing whats causing it. makes me not want to wash and i even heard that covers scratch your car worse
yellowconve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2014, 11:57 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Car covers indeed cause tiny scratches! I have a black and no matter how hard I try to keep it clean, I always end up getting swirls. I'm guessing it's not how you wash your car, but how you dry and wax/ maintain it. Not so good quality Microfiber towels to blame here?

|| ~BlackOnBlack~ ||

---------- Post added at 12:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:56 PM ----------

Ps: get it opti coated

|| ~BlackOnBlack~ ||
bazinga11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 01:54 PM   #3
Abominable Mustang

Regular
Staff

Region: Alaska
I use the 2 bucket method with a sponge, and if it EVER touches the ground, I trash it. It took about 2 years before swirls started to show. After this winter, I'm going to clay bar and put down a fresh coat of wax which should fix the light swirls in it.

Sent from the Death Star.
LCA Relocation brackets, AE driveshaft, GT 80mm TB,
Black 18x9/10 2010 GT500 Wheels w/ Nitto NT555s,
Eibach Sportline Springs/shocks & Koni STR.T Struts
WhoDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2014, 06:03 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
I have a few black rides and it is a process. Microfiber wash mits the dreadlocks type 3 of them. Two buckets one clean water one soap. Start with wheels and work up to the top of the car. 1 mitt wheels, fender edges only. 2 mitt rocker panels, lower bumpers. 3 mitt top sections. After washing a panel dunk mitt in clean water and wring out on ground, repeat. Dunk in soap wash. On sides wash only verticle strokes only. Hood top deck lid wash in a straight line with the panels front to rear. Dry car with a blower and finish with detail carnauba spray with quality microfibers. Never ever use a cover.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
BigJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 06:06 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDat View Post
I use the 2 bucket method with a sponge, and if it EVER touches the ground, I trash it. It took about 2 years before swirls started to show. After this winter, I'm going to clay bar and put down a fresh coat of wax which should fix the light swirls in it.

Sent from the Death Star.
You'll want to polish it before you wax it to get the swirls out.
sid719e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 07:14 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Porter cable 7424xp random orbital buffer with a foam pad for light defect removal with a good polish like pinnacle swirl removal. Dark rides like a random orbital or you will see machine swirl from a straight buffer. Clay bar first polish with swirl remover then a finishing polish followed up with carnuba. I've used sealers but the just don't live up to the hype. Carnuba detailer after every wash and a clay and polish every 2-3 months. I have a black 4runner with 225k and people always think it just got painted. Get a system and it's not much work if you stay on top of it.

BigJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 07:21 PM   #7
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
When you wash a car, and the dirt gets onto the wash mitt, and then you mix it around in the water not all of it comes off and then its still floating around in the water. So then you go back over the paint and bam the dirt gets rubbed back in. Thats what causes it. You want to use a premium wash mitt or microfiber towel, and the 2 bucket method with a grit guard. And don't wipe in circles, go in a straight line and do one or 2 passes then clean off the mitt.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 07:49 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
There's a million things that can cause swirls. But here are some things I noticed in this post.

1) Swirls are usually caused from the drying stage. If you use a harsh or dirty towel or press too hard, you'll get swirls. Period. Washing is the 2nd most common by getting dirt and grit on the mitt. Use microfiber, not a sponge, not wool, microfiber.

2) A car cover is fine to use, assuming it and the car are very clean. If you throw a dirty cover or a clean cover on a dirty car, obviously it's going to create swirls.

3) Wax does not "fix" swirls. It just fills them in. They're still there. You have to polish to remove them, then stop whatever you did to create them.

2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 10:00 PM   #9

Region: South Carolina
I use a micro fiber cloth for cleaning and drying my cars. And when drying, I go from front to back not in a circular motion.
Old 12-15-2014, 04:38 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
As in previous posts......2 bucket method and a quality wash soap. I never use my wash mitt on the wheels and I use air to dry the painted surfaces.
BigD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 01:10 AM   #11
Abominable Mustang

Regular
Staff

Region: Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by sid719e View Post
You'll want to polish it before you wax it to get the swirls out.
Lol yeah that's what I meant. Just so use to saying wash and wax haha
LCA Relocation brackets, AE driveshaft, GT 80mm TB,
Black 18x9/10 2010 GT500 Wheels w/ Nitto NT555s,
Eibach Sportline Springs/shocks & Koni STR.T Struts
WhoDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 01:12 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

I use a car cover and I'll tell you that fading from UV and crud on the paint is a far bigger issue than tiny swirls. Yes, I know you should keep it in a garage, but if it's outside, don't obsess over scratches while it's getting baked in the sun. Just some advice to the lurkers here.

If it's outside, do get a car cover. Wax it every 2-3 weeks and the cover shouldn't cause any serious damage. Yes, that's more often than normal, but the car cover, especially if it's wet or damp will take a fair amount of the wax off in the morning with it.
JOberlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 11:38 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

true forgot about the uv's
Old 12-30-2014, 02:28 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
I use the porter cable 7424 random orbital buffer, Lakewood pads, with McGuires professional series ultra cut and fine cut compound and buff, Polish, and wax a quarter panel every day or so until I finish the whole car. I have a black car too I know the struggle. I can touch the paint on my car and it will scratch it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
12.1 @ 117.9 (1.7) in 1/4th
7.6 @ 92.1 (1.6) in 1/8th
Speed_Mister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 04:12 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

theres no way to escape the wrath of the fine scratches
Old 12-30-2014, 04:20 PM   #16
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowconve View Post

Any time you touch the paint you will be putting very fine scratches into the clear. Best we can do is minimize it.

Bullitts are better than Bullets

HID end all thread
Old 01-09-2015, 12:31 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Quote:
Pretty much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
Any time you touch the paint you will be putting very fine scratches into the clear. Best we can do is minimize it.

Bullitts are better than Bullets
Exactly. I have a black GT and I have to live with the fine scratches. I don't have swirls because I only dry in one direction. But I'll be buying a leaf blower when I get my tax return.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Devil Strider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 01:04 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Strider View Post
Pretty much.

Exactly. I have a black GT and I have to live with the fine scratches. I don't have swirls because I only dry in one direction. But I'll be buying a leaf blower when I get my tax return.

Amazon. A Toro is 30 bucks. Works great.

2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
Old 01-09-2015, 03:48 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM91 View Post
Amazon. A Toro is 30 bucks. Works great.

might just get me one .
Old 01-09-2015, 03:49 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
might just get me one .
Go for it, powerful little sucker. Goes to 160 mph force air on high. Plus no exhaust fumes or gas.

Old 01-09-2015, 03:57 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

trust me i try to save all the gas i can the stang uses enough of that lol
Old 01-10-2015, 04:15 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Quote:
trust me i try to save all the gas i can the stang uses enough of that lol
I agree with you there.

Devil Strider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 10:35 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

yup are cars do enough of that
Old 01-14-2015, 05:31 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
over the past few months washing my car over and over has caused fine small scratches on the hood am i the only one or does every one with dark cars have that problem cause i wash my shammy many times b4 im done washing whats causing it. makes me not want to wash and i even heard that covers scratch your car worse
Paint can scratch or mar from a multitude of things. But the number one cause is YOU. You love your car, want to keep it clean but end up making tiny scratches while washing (well dryng actually)

Best solutions are the "two bucket method" and buying Ammo Hydrate. Trust me it will really change how you feel about your paint.

AMMO HydratePaint Moisturizer | AMMO NYC

not that expensive and it's the only thing my dealer and I will use on $75k+ Cars.
TFH_Famine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 05:34 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFH_Famine View Post
Paint can scratch or mar from a multitude of things. But the number one cause is YOU. You love your car, want to keep it clean but end up making tiny scratches while washing (well dryng actually)

Best solutions are the "two bucket method" and buying Ammo Hydrate. Trust me it will really change how you feel about your paint.

AMMO HydratePaint Moisturizer | AMMO NYC

not that expensive and it's the only thing my dealer and I will use on $75k+ Cars.
thanks for the info and how do you apply it and how many uses u think i can get out of a bottle? thanks for the info.
Old 01-14-2015, 06:34 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
thanks for the info and how do you apply it and how many uses u think i can get out of a bottle? thanks for the info.
Easy stuff. Just spray it on to a microfiber towel you are using to dry or directly on to the wet car right before you dry (though you will run out of product faster like this.)

Bottle has gotten me about 10-15 washes and it is worth every penny. Meguiers has come out with a similar product that you can pick up at autozone but it's not as good.

Bunch of videos on youtube about this. Best stuff is from ammonyc and chemical guys. Check those out and im sure you will find all the info you're looking for

Sent from my SM-N910P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
TFH_Famine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 08:19 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Paste wax can help with some small scratches also.

2004 Mustang GT 5 Speed Full Bolt On 360rwhp 440rwtq
12.1 @ 117.9 (1.7) in 1/4th
7.6 @ 92.1 (1.6) in 1/8th
Speed_Mister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 01:14 AM   #28
ME Bloodhound
Staff

There are products that fill in the very minor scratches. Certain waxes and glazes will fill them in so they are less noticeable. What you want to remember is that they are not gone, they are just hidden. If you want them ultimately gone you have to polish the clear coat.

HID end all thread
Old 01-17-2015, 10:54 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
There are products that fill in the very minor scratches. Certain waxes and glazes will fill them in so they are less noticeable. What you want to remember is that they are not gone, they are just hidden. If you want them ultimately gone you have to polish the clear coat.
This. While polishing takes very very small amounts of clear coat away in order to level the area around the scratches, you do only have so much clear coat. So figure out what you're doing to create the swirls and stop it. Lol

Old 01-17-2015, 03:59 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Just as a clause. I'm not a seller of this detailing product. I don't work for any detailing company. I'm not a distributor of any car care products, so here is my recommendation:

Just use Croftgate detailing products from the beginning and you won't get scratches, swirl marks will be gone, and oh that polish clean shine.

Fantastic stuff! Love it.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 11:11 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Have you tried the 3M scratch remover product by any chance? My understanding is, its good and works well.
Old 03-03-2015, 09:47 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
Have you tried the 3M scratch remover product by any chance? My understanding is, its good and works well.
going to have to try it then get my car waxed cause shes starting to get swirles bad
Old 03-03-2015, 09:48 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
going to have to try it then get my car waxed cause shes starting to get swirles bad
I've read it got really good reviews and does a great job removing surface scratches and swirls. At least that's what I've read, not saying its the truth. Lol
Old 03-03-2015, 07:45 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Just wondering but has anyone here used one of those foam car shamppo gun's from Auto Geek that shoots a rich rather of cleaning solution onto the car. This looks like a good method for getting a car well lubericated so one minimizes scratching the clear coat.
Old 03-03-2015, 07:53 PM   #35
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
So glad I went white I don't miss the dark colored paint issues
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing