How do you properly wash a 14 GT500 Engine - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-06-2015, 02:57 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
How do you properly wash a 14 GT500 Engine

Title says it all. I never really cleaned my past cars' engines but with my Shelby I always have people asking to see the engine and I get a little embarrassed when I open it and it's dirty. Does anyone with a Shelby has a system to washing theirs? Any good product suggestions?
Seebz13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2015, 03:27 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Some shops do steam cleaning. Other than that, i recommend a damp rag and a tooth brush.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
irishn8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 03:36 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Simple green and a rag... Or some pressure wash the engine but be very careful of all those electronics in there.

2014 5.OHHHHHH
Noodles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2015, 07:13 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodles76 View Post
Simple green and a rag... Or some pressure wash the engine but be very careful of all those electronics in there.

2014 5.OHHHHHH
I would highly suggest not using a pressure washer. Maaaaybe on low, but it's still risky.

Typically with an engine wash, you want to cover your CAI filter, alternator and any exposed electrical components with a plastic bag and some tape.

Rinse everything off with a normal sprayer, spray some cleaner (simple green works great) all in the bay. Let it sit a couple minutes and then agitate it with a brush.

Let that sit again, then rinse it all out. Once you're done, use a leaf blower (electric) or compressed air to get the majority of the water out of the nooks and crannies.

Wipe down what you can and then start the engine, let it warm up and that gets rid of the rest.

If there's anything different with the GT500 due to maybe the supercharger, I'm not aware.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 07:24 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
I figured the air intake would be covered as well as the electrical parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Seebz13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 07:42 PM   #6
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Tennessee
Mine gets cleaned with a microfiber by hand. I use turtle wax ice. I spray it on the rag and not the engine. Lol I actually took it to a guy one time to have it cleaned. He opened the hood and was like, "oh, I usually don't start with them this clean". It takes about an hour but it's time well spent if you plan on opening it in front of people.
Tint, louvers, Shelby brake light cover, sequentials, brake vent ring delete, Shorty antenna, JLT cold air intake, BAMA tune, VMP 2.5 S/C pulley, Ford racing shifter, MRT OR-H, SLP loudmouths, BMR adj PHB, BMR LCA, Eibach Pro-Kit, cobra jet big oval TB.
Ubnbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 08:12 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Really just depends if you actually drive your car or if it's a garage queen. If you drive it daily, wiping it down will take a while to get it truly clean.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 05:36 PM   #8
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Tennessee
Getting it initially clean might take a while. If you're like me, I wash my car basically every week in warm weather. If you wipe the engine every other week, it's easy to maintain. I personally don't have a garage so it does get a little dirty.
Tint, louvers, Shelby brake light cover, sequentials, brake vent ring delete, Shorty antenna, JLT cold air intake, BAMA tune, VMP 2.5 S/C pulley, Ford racing shifter, MRT OR-H, SLP loudmouths, BMR adj PHB, BMR LCA, Eibach Pro-Kit, cobra jet big oval TB.
Ubnbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 08:25 PM   #9

Region: Florida
Hello. I'm new here but have been posting on another forum since 2011. I used to own a '12 GT/CS that I just traded for a new '14 GT less than 3 weeks ago. I've also owned a '13 Shelby for almost 2 years. About the OP's original question, I used to pressure wash the engine bay of my '13 Shelby until one day the engine started to misfire and the CEL came on. I took it to the dealer and they replaced an ignition coil along with the spark plug. They told me NOT to pressure wash the engine again. Just use a rag along with some kind of engine cleaner and apply it to the rag, not the engine.
Black Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 09:39 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
The suggested method is LOW pressure water from a hose and degreaser. Apply degreaser, agitate with various brushes, then rinse with low pressure water. Avoid spraying water directly on the alternator, ignition coils, and any visible electrical connections. Once finish, run the engine up to operating temperature to evaporate any standing water.

Remember most engine bay electronics are sealed pretty well. Properly target low pressure water poses little risk, especially on a newer car. As things get older and seals deteriorate, more care needs to be taken.
BadCon is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing