Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Tips for touch up paint

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Konawin 
#1 ·
Well today i will attempt my first touch up paint fix, and i am wondering if there are certain tips i should know before i begin. I bought deep impact blue from motorcraft and its a pen/brush. I have a paint chip down to the plastic, so should i add primer first before the paint?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

#7 ·
Okay so the concensus is to add maybe few coats color(deep impact in my case), allow a day to dry between each. Then clear coat, a couple layers, then wet sand, and then use a rubbing compound to bring shine back.

Do the sell the langka process equipment anywhere locally? I dont wanna wait for shipping

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

#9 ·
I might end up taking this route. I have a ton of little chips on the hood of my car that I keep dabbing with the paint pen, and redoing a few everytime the highway knocks off the touch ups.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#10 ·
I have had very good luck with Ford Motorcraft OEM touch up paint on small chips. I buy the two part, base color and clear. You do want at least a small indentation left for the paint. If your chip is really deep, I'd fill it with glazing putty first to get it close. Once your paint is filled in and hardened, it will possibly be higher than the surface around, but that is ok. You will have to wet sand that back down flat. A very small chip repair is hard to sand. I picked up a tip a few weeks ago and used it myself to great success. I used a hole punch and some pencils with new erasers and crazy glue. I punched out the grits I needed, 600, 1500, 2000, 3000 and glued them down to the erasers. I also used a marker to write which grit was on each pencil. Them work from coarse to fine and wet sand it down. Don't panic when you see white hazing, as long as there is clear coat around the chip, it will haze up, that is normal. Work from coarse to fine to very fine. Once it's flat, compound it with a DA or by hand. Then use a swirl remover, polish, wax.
I also had to re-spray my entire front bumper and had some bad luck with some spray paint off Amazon, it did not match at all! I was initially sold on the ease of application they claimed and I was feeling too lazy to clean my hvlp gun... I went with the easy option and paid for it because I had to re-sand it down, get a customer paint patch from a local supplier that Ford referred me to, and now the bumper is sprayed to match.
The procedure I detailed above works really well, it takes multiple steps but done right, you will be the only one who will ever be able to find the repair.
Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.