Is the old saying true? The - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-22-2015, 04:56 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Is the old saying true? The

Hi, I was wondering if anyone knew why the paint looks like it's rubbing off? Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1421966707.953251.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	174026 Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1421966728.666928.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	174027Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1421966748.801870.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	174028
I just don't understand why they're there is it possible I'm slowly rubbing the paint off? I quick detail the car every day! To put in perspective and I buy about a new bottle of maguire's gold class every week . when I bought the car from the previous owner I noticed there was about 1 or 2 spots. (All of the spots are just on the trunk and the spoiler only) But now (8 months later) I feel like they're getting worse and more of them are happening. From what I know the entire car was painted about a year and a half to about two years ago from a shop.

Thank you in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
cozny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2015, 05:06 PM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
What year? Shoddy paint has been a problem on some coyotes

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 05:07 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2015, 05:08 PM   #4
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
I have heard of over detailing causing negative effects

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 05:31 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Yup you rubbed the clear off and now are into the base paint. I have sen a few cars like this over the years. Is it normal I have seen a few cars with this happening to them. Mostly on the hood or trunk area.

I guess I have to ask why do you think you need to polish it everyday? I use a dust brush on it daily in the spring and wax/polish it once a week or so. If I have a spot or two I use a detail spray wax and clean the spot off.

2013 Shelby GT500 Born 12/06/2012 number 439 of 530 in DIB and 1 of 9 with Red Stripes over the top and on the seats
Mlarv5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 06:19 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
unless you pay well, when you get it repainted at a shop, sometimes it can be a pretty cheap paint. but i have seen spots like this before, it almost looks like its under the clear coat. if it is on the clear coat, and not an absence of clearcoat, then some polishing compound and a da polisher should smooth it out. but again, if the clearcoat is gone, then it will only make things worse.

i dont know if its just because of the camera, but the paint looks pretty imperfect to begin with. see the wavyness in the reflections? the clearcoat either needs to be compounded smooth, or the base wasnt smoothed out very well before painting began. Im no expert in painting but picked up on a few things from a friend who does. if thats a maaco job, and you love this car, just invest in new paint from somewhere better. do research and pay the best price for the right product.

Oh and about the detailing everyday, if its the quick detailer, as long as he uses a good quality microfiber, there should be no real harm in spraying and wiping daily. that would take a loooooong time to start showing negative effects. but it is possible that you are wiping away the detail work that originally hid those blemishes. or are trapping blemishes underneath the thin amounts of wax in the detailer. Unfortunately i couldnt really say whats going on with it unless i got an up close look in person.
Old 01-23-2015, 06:44 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenixignition View Post
unless you pay well, when you get it repainted at a shop, sometimes it can be a pretty cheap paint. but i have seen spots like this before, it almost looks like its under the clear coat. if it is on the clear coat, and not an absence of clearcoat, then some polishing compound and a da polisher should smooth it out. but again, if the clearcoat is gone, then it will only make things worse.

i dont know if its just because of the camera, but the paint looks pretty imperfect to begin with. see the wavyness in the reflections? the clearcoat either needs to be compounded smooth, or the base wasnt smoothed out very well before painting began. Im no expert in painting but picked up on a few things from a friend who does. if thats a maaco job, and you love this car, just invest in new paint from somewhere better. do research and pay the best price for the right product.

Oh and about the detailing everyday, if its the quick detailer, as long as he uses a good quality microfiber, there should be no real harm in spraying and wiping daily. that would take a loooooong time to start showing negative effects. but it is possible that you are wiping away the detail work that originally hid those blemishes. or are trapping blemishes underneath the thin amounts of wax in the detailer. Unfortunately i couldnt really say whats going on with it unless i got an up close look in person.

Yes, it's feels like it's under the clear coat itself. And after I quick detail it, you can put a plastic bag over your hand and it's perfectly smooth. And no I do know maaco did not paint the car. The guy said his grandpa owned a shop and he painted the car. Also the paint itself is ford black.

Old 01-23-2015, 06:55 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenixignition View Post

Also the wavynees is just from the Camera, there's no waves in any of the paint at all. Lol I really do love how the paint is basically a mirror after a clean it. To me it's just odd the the paint is literally perfect on the entire car until you hit the trunk and spoiler. Those spots only! And so I'm not rubbing the paint off right? Lol

Old 01-23-2015, 06:57 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozny View Post
Also the wavynees is just from the Camera, there's no waves in any of the paint at all. Lol I really do love how the paint is basically a mirror after a clean it. To me it's just odd the the paint is literally perfect on the entire car until you hit the trunk and spoiler. Those spots only! And so I'm not rubbing the paint off right? Lol

You might be. I say this because these spots might not have been cleaned correct before it was repainted. You said the person you bought it from grandfather painted it. If you know the shop bring it back and ask them to take a look at it. They will be able to tell you what is going on.

2013 Shelby GT500 Born 12/06/2012 number 439 of 530 in DIB and 1 of 9 with Red Stripes over the top and on the seats
Old 01-23-2015, 09:11 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mlarv5 View Post
Yup you rubbed the clear off and now are into the base paint. I have sen a few cars like this over the years. Is it normal I have seen a few cars with this happening to them. Mostly on the hood or trunk area.

I guess I have to ask why do you think you need to polish it everyday? I use a dust brush on it daily in the spring and wax/polish it once a week or so. If I have a spot or two I use a detail spray wax and clean the spot off.

Well for starters I live in the country part of Kansas, and even though i drive only on pavement everything around that pavement is dirt lol; and when it's windy 80% of the time that just blows dirt on. So basically everyday dirt blows onto my car and gets it unclean; and secondly my car has to sit on the driveway for so that doesent help either. So I keep all that dirt off by cleaning it everyday using a ton of quick detailer to make sure there's no scratches put in.

Old 01-23-2015, 09:18 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
You might be. I say this because these spots might not have been cleaned correct before it was repainted. You said the person you bought it from grandfather painted it. If you know the shop bring it back and ask them to take a look at it. They will be able to tell you what is going on.

Ugh so I am rubbing the paint off.... I thought it was just a myth. Well how would you suggest I clean it without making it worse?

Old 01-23-2015, 11:24 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ugh so I am rubbing the paint off.... I thought it was just a myth. Well how would you suggest I clean it without making it worse?

Is the shop that did the paint still around? If so bring it to them and have them take a look it might have been a flaw on their end. I not bring it to a shop you trust and have take a look. Detail wax should not take the paint off the microfiber towel/ towel etc you use is the abrasive. If it was repainted at one point then I am thinking the prep work was not done right in these areas. I have seen paint bubble and fall off. I have also seen where they didn't get enough clear coat on it and it worked its way way down tot the base coat. If there is a good paint shop by you they will be able to tell if you did it or the prep was not done correct. I would bet the prep was done wrong.

As for you can wax it enough to take the paint off true you can, but it would take forever on a good paint job.

Old 01-23-2015, 12:15 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Well for starters I live in the country part of Kansas, and even though i drive only on pavement everything around that pavement is dirt lol; and when it's windy 80% of the time that just blows dirt on. So basically everyday dirt blows onto my car and gets it unclean; and secondly my car has to sit on the driveway for so that doesent help either. So I keep all that dirt off by cleaning it everyday using a ton of quick detailer to make sure there's no scratches put in.

My car sits in the driveway, in very similar conditions, 95% of the time.
I purchased a car cover and it works very well, considering the situation.
I just make sure that the car is clean before I put it on, and remove it every couple of weeks to give the car a quick wipe down. And I wash the cover every once in a while, as well.
It has saved me a lot of time!
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 12:18 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Oh. I almost forgot why I commented on this thread in the first place...

What is "the old saying"?
Old 01-23-2015, 03:39 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Is the shop that did the paint still around? If so bring it to them and have them take a look it might have been a flaw on their end. I not bring it to a shop you trust and have take a look. Detail wax should not take the paint off the microfiber towel/ towel etc you use is the abrasive. If it was repainted at one point then I am thinking the prep work was not done right in these areas. I have seen paint bubble and fall off. I have also seen where they didn't get enough clear coat on it and it worked its way way down tot the base coat. If there is a good paint shop by you they will be able to tell if you did it or the prep was not done correct. I would bet the prep was done wrong.

As for you can wax it enough to take the paint off true you can, but it would take forever on a good paint job.
Well it was the owner before me who had his grandpa do it as a gift or something; basically all the guy did was have to buy the new paints and new primer. So that's not an option it's on me to get it fix but that's going to be able in the range of $500 and being 16 that's a ton of money. And the car had freshly been painted about 2 years ago, so it's by no means old. Anyways what do you think I should do to keep it from becoming worse than what I've already done? And how could I clean it without making it worse?

Old 01-26-2015, 03:10 PM   #16
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Well its not a fix to the problem, but preventative measures instead. Don't go over it every single day with detail spray and wash it all the time. If its garaged or not just clean it real well and put a cover on it until you drive it. You will even save money from buying less and less cleaning products. Once you take it off and drive it, just give it another wipe down and put the cover back on. If it isn't garaged and you drive it every day then you really just have to suck it up and wash it once a week without wiping it down in between.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 05:08 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
Well its not a fix to the problem, but preventative measures instead. Don't go over it every single day with detail spray and wash it all the time. If its garaged or not just clean it real well and put a cover on it until you drive it. You will even save money from buying less and less cleaning products. Once you take it off and drive it, just give it another wipe down and put the cover back on. If it isn't garaged and you drive it every day then you really just have to suck it up and wash it once a week without wiping it down in between.

So basically I am the cause of these spots. I've noticed new tiny spots in other areas that I Believe weren't previous there. Do you have another way I could clean it without slowly rubbing the paint off?

Old 01-26-2015, 05:14 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
Oh. I almost forgot why I commented on this thread in the first place...

What is "the old saying"?

I believe there is an old saying that's like. "if you keep cleaning that car so much your going to rub all the paint off".

Old 01-26-2015, 06:07 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Here is an idea. I am taken auto body repair and painting at a local high school mine is an adult education class, you might see if there is a class local to you. I have a feeling the clear coat was not done correct and you are rubbing though it. You might want to give Scott a call at Jax Wax and see if he has any ideas on how to maintain what you have with out it getting worse.

Jax Wax Car Wax, Car Care, & Professional Detailing Products I use a lot of his products and love them. I like the idea I can wax my Deep Impact Blue in the hot sun and it will come out clean and shiny.

Good Luck with it

Old 01-26-2015, 06:57 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Here is an idea. I am taken auto body repair and painting at a local high school mine is an adult education class, you might see if there is a class local to you. I have a feeling the clear coat was not done correct and you are rubbing though it. You might want to give Scott a call at Jax Wax and see if he has any ideas on how to maintain what you have with out it getting worse.

Jax Wax Car Wax, Car Care, & Professional Detailing Products I use a lot of his products and love them. I like the idea I can wax my Deep Impact Blue in the hot sun and it will come out clean and shiny.

Good Luck with it

Okay thank you!

Old 01-26-2015, 07:05 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Good Luck with it

I don't think it's the clear coat though. It's just a smooth as the normal paint, not even the slightest bump. It's just weird because it has the grey showing up; but with that said I don't know much at all with painting.

Old 01-27-2015, 05:02 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I don't think it's the clear coat though. It's just a smooth as the normal paint, not even the slightest bump. It's just weird because it has the grey showing up; but with that said I don't know much at all with painting.

It may be the clear coat. What seems to have happened is you feathered the edges of it so it is smooth. Look up feathering of paint and you will see what I mean.

Old 01-27-2015, 12:38 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

I don't think that this was caused by you wiping it down with spray detailer but it probably isn't helping it any.
There was obviously a problem when the paint was applied. Whether it was cleaned improperly, an inferior product, or, possibly, an overly aggressive "cut and buff", where the clear coat was "burned" through, and it was very thin in those spots. I suspect the latter, because you say that the rest of paint has a very smooth finish and that is how you achieve such a finish is by sanding and buffing.

As long as the base coat is still in good condition, the clear coat can be fixed relatively easily. Take it to a couple of body shops and have them take a look and see if it is repairable and get some estimates to repair the damaged clear coat.
Or a community college auto body class is an excellent suggestion! You can fix it there and learn a new skill in the process.

The sooner that you repair the clear coat, the better the chance that it can be re-sprayed, inexpensively, and with good results.
Old 01-27-2015, 03:06 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks everyone again! You guys were great help, I'll go to a couple of shops and get some estimates. Hopefully it's a cheap fix!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing