Did Your Car Look Like This...Decal Removal - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-24-2015, 12:28 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Did Your Car Look Like This...Decal Removal

Hey all,
Have any of you removed your Stripes & your car look like this afterwards?
I think it's Hardened Adhesive from the Stripes as I can get some of it off. I've used Goo Gone, Goof Off, Rubbing Alcohol , 3-M Adhesive Remover & WD40 & none of them take it off completely...but have made it lighter. The Glue is Hard & Dry...Not Gummy at all. It's a pretty thin layer. Any Suggestions ???
Any chance the Clear Coat would crack ONLY where the Stripes were?
Doesn't sound logical to me...but thought I'd ask . I'm pretty sure it's hard glue.
I need to know what will break it down without ruining the paint. Let me know if you got any ideas. Sure want to get this car cleaned up.
Thanks for any info !!!!
Hellish Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2015, 12:33 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

---------- Post added at 11:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:32 AM ----------

Old 01-24-2015, 12:35 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2015, 01:32 PM   #4
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
Maybe try some clearcoat polish? (IDK if it's a good idea plz get 2nd opinion) It may be a job for a detailer/paint shop. I wonder if it's cause the stripes were on b4 the paint was fully cured and messed with the curing process.
Old 01-24-2015, 04:12 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

No...these stripes were put on by the previous owner. He did a real hack job on them so I removed them.
Old 01-25-2015, 11:58 AM   #6

Region: California
Decal Removal

Years ago we used Ammonia to soften and remove decal glue. It's worth a try on a small section first. Spray some ammonia on it and put a piece of plastic over if for a few minutes so it wont evaporate right away. After a few minutes remove the plastic and the glue should be mushy enough to wipe it off. Use a rag with some ammonia sprayed on it (Wear gloves impervious to ammonia) to wipe the glue off. Be careful with the ammonia, it will take your breath away.
mustang2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 12:24 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I'll give that a try. I took it to a detail shop & they tried their cleaners on it & that didn't work either. They seem to think it's in the paint but I really don't think so as I did remove some of it.
Old 01-25-2015, 03:17 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
3M makes an Adhesive remover, then you will have to use a high speed buffer for the clear coat Polish
BigD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 03:33 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
You could try to clay bar it with some aggressive clay, just be careful to use lots of lubricant spray.

Past that, try to heat it with a heat gun to soften it back up.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 03:36 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM91 View Post
You could try to clay bar it with some aggressive clay, just be careful to use lots of lubricant spray.

Past that, try to heat it with a heat gun to soften it back up.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app

I would not use an aggressive clay on a black car.

2014 5.OHHHHHH
Noodles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 07:46 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

I tried heating it up with a Heat Gun this morning but it didn't soften up.
I tried the 3-M Adhesive Remover also. I work for a printing company so I'm going to try some printing plate cleaner tomorrow. After a few minutes it will melt holes in thin rubber gloves. The roof of the car needs to be repainted anyway so I'll try it there to see what happens. Appears that maybe a tree branch landed on the roof at one time & put several nicks in the paint. I got a friend who will repaint the roof for $150 or the whole car for $800 but I have to buy the paint & clear coat. $800...I can't really afford at the moment so I'm trying my best to get the glue off.
Going to watch a video on the Clay Bar thing as I don't know anything about them.

---------- Post added at 06:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:46 PM ----------

I tried heating it up with a Heat Gun this morning but it didn't soften up.
I tried the 3-M Adhesive Remover also. I work for a printing company so I'm going to try some printing plate cleaner tomorrow. After a few minutes it will melt holes in thin rubber gloves. The roof of the car needs to be repainted anyway so I'll try it there to see what happens. Appears that maybe a tree branch landed on the roof at one time & put several nicks in the paint. I got a friend who will repaint the roof for $150 or the whole car for $800 but I have to buy the paint & clear coat. $800...I can't really afford at the moment so I'm trying my best to get the glue off.
Going to watch a video on the Clay Bar thing as I don't know anything about them.
Old 01-26-2015, 08:44 AM   #12
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
put some lighter fluid in a spray bottle and lightly mist the car with it...light a match and step back (Quickly!!) plz be sure to video it for us.... JK!

Clay bar is easy but I doubt it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing