Cleaning utensils - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-07-2015, 11:21 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Cleaning utensils

It's getting close to that time of the year again, and it's time for me to update my cleaning kit. I've read through a lot of the threads talking about what type of wash, wax, sprays etc everyone likes to use and and going to give some of them a try.

In this thread I'm wanting to know what everyone uses to clean with (car&wheels)? Micro fiber cloth, brush, MIT, sponge, or whatever. Also are there certain brands that you like over the others?

Part 2

My rocker panels are a pain to clean. So for this I would like to hear of some ideas on both cleaning chemicals and utensils that works good for you.

(If there's already a up to date thread that talks about this I must have over looked it.)

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2015, 07:15 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Cleaning utensils

I use meguiars deep crystal car wash with a soft sponge and meguiars chrome wheel cleaner on my rims. I always wash the top half of the car first, rinse out the soap bucket and refill then do the bottom half. Then I dry with microfiber cloths. As far as the rockers, I just open the doors and us the sprinkle setting on the nozzle and barely apply pressure to the trigger and use sponge again and then repeat with the nozzle, then dry. Do this last so that no water seeps down into the rocker panels.

---------- Post added at 08:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:14 PM ----------

No chemicals other than what was previously mentioned.

Gable80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 07:19 PM   #3
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Cleaning utensils

Microfiber towels. Nothing else.

Have you read the detailing for newbies thread sticky at the top of the appearance and detailing section?

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2015, 07:23 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Interior, I've only lightly used water in a spray bottle and microfiber cloths. I see no reason to use anything else since it still looks new.

Gable80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 08:40 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post

Have you read the detailing for newbies thread sticky at the top of the appearance and detailing section?

I've read all the parts about washing the car and the wheels. I haven't gotten to read the rest yet, which will be interesting in learning since I've never waxed, polished, or used a clay bar or anything before. I didn't really notice what tools were mentioned though other then the wash buckets with the grit guard. Seen you mentioned a mitt, just wasn't sure if there certain type and materials of mitts that work best. Hopefully I'll be able to watch the videos over the next couple days while I'm off work.

Does anyone use the sponges with the net for the hard stuck on dirt, bugs, etc or are they to harsh on the paint?

I definitely have got to get some good wheel cleaner though. I've used everything I've got for wheels and once they dry I can rub my finger over the wheels and still get surface dirt off of them. Looks like all I accomplish is making the dirt shine, cause it's a lot easier to see the dirt once I'm done :-/

Old 02-07-2015, 08:43 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Forgot to ask, as far as the micro fiber towels go are there some better then others? Maybe certain brands or a good place to get them from? Like at my local auto parts store in the cleaning/detailing section they have some. Although to me they seem very thin and cheaply made.

Thanks

Old 02-07-2015, 09:14 PM   #7
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Cleaning utensils

Yea there are better ones than other. Don't bother with the packs you see at Autozone or any place like that.

I use AMMO NYC microfibers for most of my stuff. Great price for what you get. If you want really amazing stuff look into Adams polishes single and double soft towels. Chemical Guys had a huge selection of them also.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 01:13 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Yea there are better ones than other. Don't bother with the packs you see at Autozone or any place like that.

I use AMMO NYC microfibers for most of my stuff. Great price for what you get. If you want really amazing stuff look into Adams polishes single and double soft towels. Chemical Guys had a huge selection of them also.

This. You want 100% Cotton or as close to it as possible. Cheap ones are synthetic fibers that are more rigid and scratch easier.

Zaino makes a very nice towel called the borderless blonde. Ridiculously soft and has no borders or outside stitching to snag on anything.

The one thing that's important for microfiber and especially plush microfiber is wash it with care. They sell microfiber cleaner that helps keeping plush in the wash, otherwise it clumps and knots up and becomes harsh.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 07:11 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangz13 View Post
Forgot to ask, as far as the micro fiber towels go are there some better then others? Maybe certain brands or a good place to get them from? Like at my local auto parts store in the cleaning/detailing section they have some. Although to me they seem very thin and cheaply made.

Thanks

These guys are pointing you in the right direction. You are correct to assume not all microfiber towels are the same. Auto parts store microfibers are best reserved for dirty utility tasks like cleaning the engine bay and what not. Never use those on your paint if you care about scratches.

I have a nice collection of premium Cobra microfiber towels in various weights from Autogeek.net, Adams single/double soft towels, and microfibers from The Rag Company.

If you REALLY want to get THE nicest microfibers money can buy, you need to check out the Microfiber Madness towels which are imported from Germany. They are not cheap, but if you care about your ride and want the best money can buy, they are SO worth it.

Take your pick of the Incredimitt, the Incredipad, or Incredisponge, for the nicest wash mitt, pad, or sponge, you have ever tried. Extremely gentle on the paint. The Crazy Pile microfibers are awesome for quick detail sprays, spray wax, and removing wax/sealants/coatings. They do not leave lint behind like similar-looking but lesser quality towels. Also, the Dry Me Crazy towel is head and shoulders above any store bought drying towel you have ever used. Again, super soft, and soaks up water like a magnet. It's amazing. I use the Microfiber Madness Sloggers for keeping my chrome wheels and door jambs scratch-free and pristine looking.

These are the best kept secret with detailing professionals. You wanted the inside scoop, so here you go: Microfiber Madness - www.CarPro-US.com
NacsMXer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 07:18 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM91 View Post
This. You want 100% Cotton or as close to it as possible. Cheap ones are synthetic fibers that are more rigid and scratch easier.

Zaino makes a very nice towel called the borderless blonde. Ridiculously soft and has no borders or outside stitching to snag on anything.

The one thing that's important for microfiber and especially plush microfiber is wash it with care. They sell microfiber cleaner that helps keeping plush in the wash, otherwise it clumps and knots up and becomes harsh.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Actually microfiber towels are synthetic and contain no cotton. You don't want to be using cotton towels on your paint. Microfiber is a blend of polyester and poly amide fibers. The difference in quality comes from where and how they are manufactured. The el cheapo auto parts store ones are made in China, whereas the best quality ones are made in Korea or Europe.

But you are absolutely correct about microfiber care. They should be washed with either dedicated microfiber detergent like you mentioned, Woolite, or any brand that is labeled as "free and clear" of dyes and fragrances. It's also a known trick to add a splash of white vinegar to the wash to help the towel keep its natural softness. You should not use any fabric softener or dryer sheets as they will permanently clog up and ruin the towel. Also always tumble dry them on low heat, too high and you will melt the synthetic fibers in the towel.
NacsMXer is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing