Chrome Rim Cleaning - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-08-2015, 09:43 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Chrome Rim Cleaning

Hey eveyone I have a set of chrome cobra Rs, I got from american muscle and I always clean them with a sponge but I was wondering if there was a brush I could use to get in all the nooks without scratching the chrome?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
carnellrules3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2015, 10:35 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I just use my hands and a rag with Meguire's Hot Rims for mine.
Old 02-09-2015, 08:15 AM   #3
Site Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnellrules3 View Post
Hey eveyone I have a set of chrome cobra Rs, I got from american muscle and I always clean them with a sponge but I was wondering if there was a brush I could use to get in all the nooks without scratching the chrome?
Hey carnellrules3 - That's a good question and while I personally don't use a sponge/brush or any type of spay on hose off product, I would personally reccomend getting in there with a microfiber to have polish/product applied, and then another to have it cleaned off. I used to work at a local auto auction reconditioning cars (Buffer guy!) and I've used a load of product and I always come back to Mothers or meguaris chrome polish.

Let me know if you're to have any other questions and I'm here to help!

Alex
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A SUPERCHARGED MUSTANG & 2017 RAPTOR!
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMAlexLazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2015, 06:45 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:

I'm a bit of a detail nut, so you could say i'm concerned about any wash-induced scratches. When I bought my chrome Roush wheels, I wasn't going to play around.

I coated them with CarPro CQuartz UK edition ceramic quartz coating which makes them SUPER easy to maintain. The surface is so slick that brake dust and dirt wash right off with pH neutral Adams Car Shampoo. I don't use any harsh wheel cleaners, just gentle car shampoo.

So off the bat I recommend having those wheels protected with some type of coating or wax to keep things from sticking to them. Otherwise getting the chrome to come fully clean will be a bear. I've had great experiences with CarPro CQuartz UK, CarPro Dlux, CarPro Hydro2, CarPro Reload, and Collinite 845 insulator wax. You will do yourself a lot of favors down the road not leaving your new wheels bare and unprotected.

To wash the wheels, I use a Wheel Woolies brand Boar's hair wheel brush on the outer face of the wheels. Just Google it and it will come up. It is an extremely gentle brush that absolutely will not scratch, yet makes it easier to get into the corners and what not.

For backsides of the wheels, inner barrels, and brake calipers, I use the Speed Master wheel brush. This is another brush that is worth its weight in gold for keeping your wheels looking great. It's the perfect tool for getting the hard to reach inner areas of the wheel and you can bend it to fit around any shape.

Here's my wheels after the CQuartz UK coating...ballin!

This is the Wheel Woolies Boar's Hair Wheel Brush I use.

This is the Speed Master Brush I use for the back sides of the wheel. See how you can bend it to your liking to get into the areas you need to?

NacsMXer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 08:43 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Wow sweet! Thanks dude

carnellrules3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 11:43 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Wow sweet! Thanks dude

No problem

It sure is nice having the right tools on hand for the job. It beats trying to cram a sponge in there.
NacsMXer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 02:45 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Croftgate Tire Shine, and the cone attachment you put on the end of a cordless drill. Before and after pic of the rims on my 03 F 150

Sent from my SM-N900T using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1426405550504.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	177460  
Borla S-Type stingers, BAMA SCT tuner, K & N Typhoon CAI, Classic Design Concepts light bar, MACH 1 chin spoiler, MACH 1000 w JVC Kvw 500 HU, plastidipped hood scoop, wing & Premium GT rims, painted calipers, 3.73 gears, black Bullitt fuel door, MMD hood struts, sub-frame connectors, SVE uca & lca, Power Stop drilled/slotted rotors
Peterzinyou is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing