How to make plastics look black again - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-08-2015, 10:39 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
How to make plastics look black again

So I was filling up my power steering fluid and spilled some ATF on the black lid around the container and after wiping it off, it made the power steering container in my engine look brand new, so then I put some on the other parts of my engine, like the fuse box cover and alternator cover. After a few minutes it looked like I got my engine bay detailed. I also used it on my mirrors and all the other black plastic parts on the outside. Just take a microfiber cloth and put a dab of ATF on it (I have a cheap bottle of advanced auto parts mercon 5) then work the ATF all into the plastic, after it is worked in it will feel greasy. So take a separate, clean microfiber cloth to wipe dry. It will look brand new, trust me. It does not work on plasti dip or any other rubber weathering strip. Only on the hard plastic. I know it sounds weird but try it. I can have some pictures in the morning.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
thevanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2015, 05:10 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
I wouldn't try it. I'd be concerned the petroleum will begin breaking down the plastic and a few months down the road you may have to replace some items.

But it may work for you.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
EastTNMustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 06:00 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Send a message via Yahoo to roushMarlon831

Try wipe new. The pic is blurry but just look for it, This one is the best one I've ever tried and I've tried turtle wax trim restorer and armor all. 
Name:   ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1423483221.448910.jpg
Views: 406
Size:  28.6 KB

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
roushMarlon831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2015, 08:23 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyRed14GT500 View Post
I wouldn't try it. I'd be concerned the petroleum will begin breaking down the plastic and a few months down the road you may have to replace some items.

But it may work for you.

+1 on this...

For plastics and vinyl I use Jax Wax Super Blue. Works great and does not contain any petroleum products that can break down plastics or rubber.

Steve
'14 Deep Impact Blue V-6 Coupe
MCA Package
V-6 Performance Package
Premium Package
SRE TUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 08:59 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I use mothers Back to Black and works like a charm
Brembo Pkg, Paxton SC, ID1000's, JMS BAP, Boss IM, JLT CAI, Lund Tuned, Tremec T56 swap, Black Pype Bombs, Pypes LT Headers H-Pipe, McLeod RXT Twin Clutch & LW Flywheel. Alum. DS, MGW Shifter, BMR adj. Panhard, UCA & LCA's, Eibach Pro Damper, Sportline Springs, MMD Louvers, Roush splitters, RTR decklid and surround, CDC Grille, Staggered 20" ACE Alloy Driven, Trufiber Hood.
Sterlingbeast5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 11:34 AM   #6
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Croftgate products used on my Mustang

I only will use the stuff from Croftgate on my car. Project-X and Super slick for everything, Paint, Glass, Plastic. It is all great protection for your whole car.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 11:57 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Back to Black...

Tuned by AED
*694 RWHP/677 RWTQ* 10.22@136mph
Currently Assaulting California's Roadcourses
Fabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 12:00 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
303 Aerospace.

2012 Grabber Blue Mustang Convertible V6 Premium
1979 Solar Gold Trans Am
1995 Bright Red Trans Am Convertible
GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 12:22 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Petroleum products are best kept for use inside the engine and other drive train components. They are not made for appearance uses. Read and follow the label, just my 2 C's

CAI,6pt.Cage,FRPPSprings,Raptor,UDP,Hurst,SiliconeHoses,BossStrutBar,LoudMouths,Plenum,Cam,Brake,Battery,StrutCovers,FRPP PC.ValveCovers,Chin Spoiler,Hood Scoop&Pins,painted 10"Stripes & Pins,EleanorGrill,Chin Spoiler,"C" Scoop,1/4 Side Scoops,Rear Fascia,PJ Rear Louvers,Roush Skirts & Rear Wing,Triple Pod & Gauges,CF Dash,2010Projector lights,2014Taillights, Real Carbon Fiber full kit,19" 2014 GT rims.
KryptonKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 02:08 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
Use that tire shine stuff... Looks great

Sent from my LG-D801 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
mattyp511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 03:53 AM   #11
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by KryptonKnight View Post
Petroleum products are best kept for use inside the engine and other drive train components. They are not made for appearance uses. Read and follow the label, just my 2 C's
Excellent point! Brake fluid is also a big no no, as it will ruin the clear coat. Not sure about power steering fluid on the outside of the car, as the first rain is going to wash it off and run it down the paint. Yuk!

Not a huge fan of back to black, as it lasts about 2 weeks before the plastic begins to show dullness again. The black plastic looks great after its applied, it just doesn't seem to last very long. May try the stuff Ronnie suggests, but he has plenty of time to play with his Mustang!

I need something that will work for about a month or so between applications. Yes, I'm busy with other household duties my wife assigns to me!
Old 03-17-2015, 10:39 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
The best plastic chemical product to restore it back to deep rich black is Croftgate tire shine. Used on rubber and plastics. Ultimate product. Here are some pictures

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1426649874858.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	177763   Click image for larger version

Name:	1426649887632.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	177764  

Click image for larger version

Name:	1426649908079.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	177765   Click image for larger version

Name:	1426649925179.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	177766  

2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 11:45 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
The best plastic chemical product to restore it back to deep rich black is Croftgate tire shine. Used on rubber and plastics. Ultimate product. Here are some pictures

That looks like, if you try to touch it its going to feel really oily. I think that can damage the front dash panel. My air bag plastic planel has black smudges, and I don't even use chemicals that can damage it.

Mlp07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 12:20 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mlp07 View Post
That looks like, if you try to touch it its going to feel really oily. I think that can damage the front dash panel. My air bag plastic planel has black smudges, and I don't even use chemicals that can damage it.

I know! I too love that rich wet look but surprise. Its dry as a dry bone. Croftgate tire shine is water based. No oil or alcohol. Not an ounce of oily residue. That's the best part. Love the stuff. Not damaging a thing because its water base.

Old 03-18-2015, 01:49 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Got to admit it looks really clean and shiny. Nice job.

Mlp07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 07:41 AM   #16
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Croftgate PROJECT-X

I just use the project-X on my whole car, including the glass, the black plastic, and tires.
What is great about this stuff is, It does protect from UV rays and that is important if you live in a sunny place like I do.(FLORIDA)
After the project-X I put on a coat of the quick-n-slick.
I can do my whole car in less then an hour on days I feel good. "That is-Starting with a pretty clean car"
If I have to use the waterless car wash first it will take about 1/2 hour longer.
Ronnie

Ya can't get any more gleem then this.
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 08:34 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Ronnie, between you and Kona Blue, you guys keep posting those pictures and talking about croftgate.

I think pretty soon when im done payin off a few things, im gonna take the plunge and order a few items from croftgate. any reccomendations on where to start? Im already using Surf city garage, which i think is great. so i wont be going from armor all to croftgate, but i can see where croftgate might outshine. I'm interested in that spray wax you mentioned, the quick n slick. Ill look into that project x as well.
Old 03-18-2015, 08:45 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

I try to remind myself there is a reason why they make both vanilla and chocolate. Looks really shiny. I like a clean look but I prefer not to have anything on my ride scream PLASTIC.

CAI,6pt.Cage,FRPPSprings,Raptor,UDP,Hurst,SiliconeHoses,BossStrutBar,LoudMouths,Plenum,Cam,Brake,Battery,StrutCovers,FRPP PC.ValveCovers,Chin Spoiler,Hood Scoop&Pins,painted 10"Stripes & Pins,EleanorGrill,Chin Spoiler,"C" Scoop,1/4 Side Scoops,Rear Fascia,PJ Rear Louvers,Roush Skirts & Rear Wing,Triple Pod & Gauges,CF Dash,2010Projector lights,2014Taillights, Real Carbon Fiber full kit,19" 2014 GT rims.
KryptonKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 08:51 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I try to remind myself there is a reason why they make both vanilla and chocolate. Looks really shiny. I like a clean look but I prefer not to have anything on my ride scream PLASTIC.
thats a pretty good point actually. btw i just looked at your pictures of your car. that thing is a beast. do you have a build thread or a thread with more info on it?
Old 03-18-2015, 09:16 AM   #20
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
one vote for Aerospace 303...it does NOT give the super shiny look. On the exterior bits (and on 11/12's there is a lot I wax my car with Turtle Wax Ice which unlike many waxes you can apply to black plastic...Mud likes the Ice since I have used other waxes that stain black plastic.
Old 03-18-2015, 11:26 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I'm with you. I love my 303 Aerospace because it looks OEM.

1979 Solar Gold Trans Am
Old 03-18-2015, 11:28 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
one vote for Aerospace 303...it does NOT give the super shiny look. On the exterior bits (and on 11/12's there is a lot I wax my car with Turtle Wax Ice which unlike many waxes you can apply to black plastic...Mud likes the Ice since I have used other waxes that stain black plastic.

Try a pencil eraser the next time you get wax on your black plastic and then go over it with whatever you use to protect it (303 Aerospace in my case).

1979 Solar Gold Trans Am
Old 03-19-2015, 12:04 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenixignition View Post
Ronnie, between you and Kona Blue, you guys keep posting those pictures and talking about croftgate.

I think pretty soon when im done payin off a few things, im gonna take the plunge and order a few items from croftgate. any reccomendations on where to start? Im already using Surf city garage, which i think is great. so i wont be going from armor all to croftgate, but i can see where croftgate might outshine. I'm interested in that spray wax you mentioned, the quick n slick. Ill look into that project x as well.
Thanks sir. If your paint is in good or better condition, Croftgate will be all you need to keep it clean and shiny. If your paint is in moderate to jacked up holy crap state, then you will need something a bit different. 😎

Old 03-19-2015, 07:05 AM   #24
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
Blue, yep the eraser trick is the best method I've found for removing them after the fact. However it's better not to get them in the 1st place.

Captain Obvious.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing