Plastic Painting - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-13-2015, 07:34 PM   #1
Registered Member
Region: Oklahoma
Plastic Painting

Going to start painting some underhood plastics and figured I'd start with the radiator cover but I need some advice.

My plan was to clean it with dish soap, scuff it up with a scotch Brite pad, clean again with plastic cleaner to remove any mold release agent and plastic dust.

Then 2 coats of primer, dry, 2-3 coats of base color, dry, and then 2 coats of clear.

Any suggestions?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app

2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 08:36 PM   #2
Registered Member
Region: Colorado
I'm about to do the same thing to a radiator cover as well. Going to make it grabber blue along with the valve covers.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Devil Strider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 09:14 PM   #3
Registered Member
Region: Canada
scuff, not sand with gray stotch brite pad. clean really really good. use plastic prep/adhesion promoter as directed. prime and paint. only use top quality primer and paint, and layer it with many small coats.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4404.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	1.45 MB
ID:	175334   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4405.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	1.33 MB
ID:	175335  

dinobike19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 07:05 PM   #4
Registered Member
Region: Other
I used duplicolor engine paint on some plastics over 2 years ago and it looks just like it did the day I painted it. I just scuffed it and painted. Adhesion promotor is not a bad idea though.

I just cleaned the pieces with dish soap btw.
Billgluckman is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing