Confused on Detailing Products - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-06-2015, 06:07 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Confused on Detailing Products

Hey guys. Hoping people can explain the differences between these products and when you would want to use them. I'm confused on the difference of Cutting Polish, and Finishing Polish. Confused on Scratch and Swirl remover and Compound. Confused about why and when to use a pre wax cleaner.

First , I get what a compound does but it does the same thing as a swirl and scratch remover and some. Compounds remove, swirls and scratches so why not just use that instead if a scratch remover?

What the heck is cutting polish? When would you use a pre wax cleaner which isn't that like a cutting polish. Won't both remove waxes and sealants on the car?

I understand that a pre wax cleaner removes wax and sealants off a car but won't the wax and sealant wear off anyway over time? If so why bother using a prewax? So confusing!
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2015, 06:12 PM   #2
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Marketing tactics

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 07:57 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
Marketing tactics

Well that explans the difference. Ha ha ha. Stuff really makes my head spin. The part that really confuses me about pre wax is why does one need a product to remove the wax or sealant.

The waxes and sealants automatically wear off over time so there gone. What's to remove with the pre wax? Ha ha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2015, 08:42 PM   #4
ME Bloodhound
Staff

For like of you are polishing or claying. Both of which remove wax though

HID end all thread
Old 03-06-2015, 11:29 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
For like of you are polishing or claying. Both of which remove wax though

Thanks sir, that's what I thought. I thought that detailing clay and polish would remove the old sealant and wax if one has it on. So really, no need for a pre wax cleaner.
Old 03-07-2015, 01:16 PM   #6
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
Croftgate

Welcome to CROFTGATEUSA.com - Waterless Car Wash Product and Auto Detailing Products

I have been using their products for almost three years and don't even need to look for anything else. If your looking for a really deep glossy shine with plenty of protection from UV sun fade. Croftgate products can't be beat.

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 01:25 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
Welcome to CROFTGATEUSA.com - Waterless Car Wash Product and Auto Detailing Products

I have been using their products for almost three years and don't even need to look for anything else. If your looking for a really deep glossy shine with plenty of protection from UV sun fade. Croftgate products can't be beat.

Ronnie
Ronnie, I love Croftgate. I just do all sorts of reading about deatiling products and at times its all confusing. Ha ha
Old 03-07-2015, 01:46 PM   #8
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I know what you mean

So much stuff and so much hype. I'm sure there are some products out there that are probably as good as the Croftgate stuff, But I do not think anything could be better. I used to use Zaino products and at the time, they seemed to have the very best reputation. When I bought some Waterless car wash and Croftgate Project-X at a car show after driving 65 miles to it in the rain. (Just to get my car clean) I found my car was way more shiny then ever. I won the peoples choice award that year ( over 500 Ford & Mustangs) My red Candy sure looked like "RED CANDY" and I soon found out that the dreaded Florida Love Bugs just wiped off with a wet rag I just stuck with it. I found they also have "Quick & Slick" which after using the project-X really makes the paint gleam and very slippery.
No, I don't even think of anything else. The Croftgate is so easy to use I can do my whole car which includes the plastic parts, The wheels and tire, and glass in less then 30 minutes.
Of course I do use a lot of Micro fiber rags but I have a lot of them to use.
I know everyone has their favorite stuff and will swear by what they use. Me it will always be the Croftgate products and I don't need to look any farther.
Ronnie
Old 03-07-2015, 03:06 PM   #9
ME Bloodhound
Staff

I usually pick brands i like, but i never go to just one and only. You'll never find a brand that is perfect with every single product they sell. I like to diversify what i have. For example i use Adams Rinseless Wash or Detail Spray for cleaning (lately i've only been usin the detail spray since the car has been under a cover, For polishing i have Chemical Guys pads and polish, and degreaser and glaze, i use AMMO NYC Microfiber towels, mothers aluminum polish, Meguiars Clay Bar, and paste wax...

Its all competition based, all companies are constantly changing their products, so while one company has something down pretty solid another company may be working even more on it and come out with something that works even better.

I did use some croftgate at one point, i liked it. There were pros and cons to each product. The Aquanil was pretty good, i did really like the Quick & Slick. But my detail spray includes synthetic wax polymers so i have no real need for a straight spray wax anymore.

Just have to find what works well for you, something that works amazingly for others may not work well for you, and vice versa. Its like exhaust. There is no "best"

HID end all thread
Old 03-07-2015, 03:37 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

I have never used any better tire and plastics shine product that croftgates tire shine. Hands down, it far superior to anything I have seen. I have used many tire shine products and interior plastics cleaners and they fail to compare to Croftgates tire shine.

I really love the quick and slick, I just wish it stayed on longer intervals. I need to apply it every third wash which is about once a month for me. On the flip side, it only takes me about half hour to apply on the car.
Old 03-07-2015, 03:40 PM   #11
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
I have never used any better tire and plastics shine product that croftgates tire shine. Hands down, it far superior to anything I have seen. I have used many tire shine products and interior plastics cleaners and they fail to compare to Croftgates tire shine.

I actually still have the croftgate tire shine from when I got the mini starter pack. I'll have to compare it to my Adams tire shine. Do one side of each. I just shined the tires today, I wish I would have remembered before hand

HID end all thread
Old 03-07-2015, 03:43 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I actually still have the croftgate tire shine from when I got the mini starter pack. I'll have to compare it to my Adams tire shine. Do one side of each

I'm confident Adams will shine just as well. What I love about the croftgate tire shine, its water based and not oil based. It actually cleans and reconditions rubber and plastics. Its no sling, and no oily aftermath. Plastics look dripping wet and yet its bone dry no greasy feel.
Old 03-07-2015, 03:47 PM   #13
ME Bloodhound
Staff

One thing I do know about the Adams is that it does sling if driven within around 24 hours of applying it. As far as durability it's better than others I have used. It's makes them look deep black like OEM, not super shiny or oily... Will have to compare to Croftgate.

HID end all thread
Old 03-07-2015, 04:20 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
One thing I do know about the Adams is that it does sling if driven within around 24 hours of applying it. As far as durability it's better than others I have used. It's makes them look deep black like OEM, not super shiny or oily... Will have to compare to Croftgate.

Croftgate shine on plastics and my tires. No sling at all. Even after 10 minutes of driving after putting it on
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1425766740897.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	176915   Click image for larger version

Name:	1425766779457.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	176916  

Old 03-07-2015, 09:56 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
So much stuff and so much hype. I'm sure there are some products out there that are probably as good as the Croftgate stuff, But I do not think anything could be better. I used to use Zaino products and at the time, they seemed to have the very best reputation. When I bought some Waterless car wash and Croftgate Project-X at a car show after driving 65 miles to it in the rain. (Just to get my car clean) I found my car was way more shiny then ever. I won the peoples choice award that year ( over 500 Ford & Mustangs) My red Candy sure looked like "RED CANDY" and I soon found out that the dreaded Florida Love Bugs just wiped off with a wet rag I just stuck with it. I found they also have "Quick & Slick" which after using the project-X really makes the paint gleam and very slippery.
No, I don't even think of anything else. The Croftgate is so easy to use I can do my whole car which includes the plastic parts, The wheels and tire, and glass in less then 30 minutes.
Of course I do use a lot of Micro fiber rags but I have a lot of them to use.
I know everyone has their favorite stuff and will swear by what they use. Me it will always be the Croftgate products and I don't need to look any farther.
Ronnie
Ronnie, first let me say you car looks amazing and always detailed to the max. I'm confident that prior to you discovering Croftgate products, you took care of your paint with other detailing products.

Prior to me ever using Croftgate products, I was using Meguiars Ultimate products. I always took care of my paint from the moment I took possession of my pony. Years prior to Croftgate , my pony had the 5 step detailing process. Hand wash, detail clay, compound, polish and wax.

Once I tried Croftgate on my pony I was really impressed with how much faster washing was than the traditional two bucket method with hose. Really like the quick and slick, addicted to the tire shine and Project X is great for dark colored cars.

Croftgate does a great job on my car but my cars paint was already in great shape prior to ever using Croftgate.

I see amazing results on people's cars with Croftgate and their paint looks fantastic. I wonder if their paint was looking good prior to Croftgate. I began to wonder how would Croftgate do on a vehicle that has water spots heavily etched into the paint, heavy swirl marks all over the entire cars paint. Scratches in the clear coat over the entire cars paint. I mean a car that needs some paint correction ASAP!

I have a take home county vehicle for my job and recently been give a black in color, 2012 Dodge Charger RT. The paint is not faded but holy hell the water spots are the worst I personally have ever seen. I mean that ***** is etched into the paint. The entire hood, trunk and roof has crazy amounts of swirl marks on the entire area. All you see is scratches in circles everywhere when the light hits it. From a distance the paint looks fine and shinny when clean however up close its freaking horrible.

I decided to use my amazing Aquanil X and my rinseless wash and wax on my work vehcile. First let me say, it did a real nice job cleaning the car and removing the dirt and grime. What it didn't do and I was really surprised was : Never removed any of the water marks , didn't remove the surface scratches, didn't remove the heavy swirl marks.

I'm not disappointed in the Croftgate but my assessment is this: If one has a car that has paint in good condition, Croftgate will work at keeping it look new. Use the quick and slick. That's a must!

For paint thats in poor condition like I described on my work black vehicle its gonna need a full paint correction. Croftgate is not going to cut the mustard on that one. It would need a full paint correction to include a hand wash, clay bar, compound, polish and wax. At the bare minimum it needs to be compounded to remove the etched in water spots, horrendous circle scratches and swirls.
Old 03-08-2015, 08:18 AM   #16
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

100% correct

Quote:
For paint thats in poor condition like I described on my work black vehicle its gonna need a full paint correction. Croftgate is not going to cut the mustard on that one. It would need a full paint correction to include a hand wash, clay bar, compound, polish and wax. At the bare minimum it needs to be compounded to remove the etched in water spots, horrendous circle scratches and swirls.
I really don't think anything but a Clay bar will rid a paint job of water spots or surface scratches.Your work car may be a victim of going through car washes and them putting on that crap wax.

When I first got my car I put a good couple coats of Zaino on it. It is also a good product. My car was only a few months old and perfect when I first bought the Croftgate stuff. I don't know if the Croftgate is better then Zaino but it sure is a lot easier to use. What I like about both of these products is that you can use any of these products on the plastic, Tires, Glass and of course "THE PAINT"

For the first year I did not know about Quick and Slick. I learned about how great that was when the rep from Croftgate came to Shari's house to do a demo on her 1966 Mustang. I could not believe how slippery it made the car.

This car was a garage find that sat in a garage for 3 1/2 to 4 years. It now looks brand spanking new.
Ronnie
Old 03-08-2015, 08:41 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I really don't think anything but a Clay bar will rid a paint job of water spots or surface scratches.Your work car may be a victim of going through car washes and them putting on that crap wax.

When I first got my car I put a good couple coats of Zaino on it. It is also a good product. My car was only a few months old and perfect when I first bought the Croftgate stuff. I don't know if the Croftgate is better then Zaino but it sure is a lot easier to use. What I like about both of these products is that you can use any of these products on the plastic, Tires, Glass and of course "THE PAINT"

For the first year I did not know about Quick and Slick. I learned about how great that was when the rep from Croftgate came to Shari's house to do a demo on her 1966 Mustang. I could not believe how slippery it made the car.

This car was a garage find that sat in a garage for 3 1/2 to 4 years. It now looks brand spanking new.
Ronnie
Croftgate does make car washing so much faster. No doubt that my work vehicle was the result of previous improper washing techniques, drying techniques and never any paint protection. I did think that Croftgate was going to remove all those etched in water spots , swirls and scratches. But it didn't. It cleaned and shined the car really good but never corrected the paint issues.

My findings is that for any real paint corrections needed, the clay bar, compound and DA polisher machine is the way to go. Once the paint is corrected and looking good, Croftgate is the way to go.

Great product to maintain that already good condition paint. Quick and slick is a must. It puts a layer of protection onto the paint/ clear coat so contaminants won't etch into the clear coat. Just like a sealant or wax does. The only thing about quick and slick is it needs to be re applied every third wash.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing