Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Oops... Clearcoat help

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  SpeedFreek 
#1 ·
It was pitch black one morning and I was backing out my driveway, I had a hard time backing out and cut it a little close. Needless to say I was pretty upset before heading into work. I have had very minor scratches to my clear coat but I think this is something I need to get taken care of. Does anyone have any idea what this would generally run to get fixed? Nothing's dented so the body is still fine.

Thanks guys!
Vehicle Automotive exterior Car Bumper Auto part

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

See less See more
#4 ·
If It is only in the clear coat they will have to prep the entire quarter panel and shoot a new clear on it all the way up to the a pillar. You can't shoot a clear without taking it to a natural break. Then they will have to do the bumper as well. All told your looking at probably 500-800 depending on the shop you take it to. It's mostly labor but they will charge you about 100 bucks in misc supplies, and prob 150 in clear coat. Like 30% of your car has to be reshot just in that small amount of damage. Sux.

#6 ·
Get one of those little clear coat touch up bottles, spread a bit over the affected areas, then once its dried wet sand it with about 2-2.5k grit, then compound, and polish. No it won't be a perfect finish, but i guarantee you no one will ever see it.

#8 ·
If you're like me, you'll need to reclear the whole thing. Some people will accept touch up with a good blend, but I can see the difference and it'll drive me crazy ... plus if one of my friends said anything about it, I probably kill them for noticing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.