Oops... Clearcoat help - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-24-2015, 04:51 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Oops... Clearcoat help

It was pitch black one morning and I was backing out my driveway, I had a hard time backing out and cut it a little close. Needless to say I was pretty upset before heading into work. I have had very minor scratches to my clear coat but I think this is something I need to get taken care of. Does anyone have any idea what this would generally run to get fixed? Nothing's dented so the body is still fine.

Thanks guys!
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1427233854.694047.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	178289

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
NickC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2015, 04:56 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I have scratches similar to that as well, we have bikes hanging in or out garage and long story short one of the fell and scratched my hood pretty badly
Texas22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 04:59 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Now that I think about it, we have shovels hanging on the wall in our garage... better take this bad boys down.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
NickC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2015, 10:41 PM   #4
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
If It is only in the clear coat they will have to prep the entire quarter panel and shoot a new clear on it all the way up to the a pillar. You can't shoot a clear without taking it to a natural break. Then they will have to do the bumper as well. All told your looking at probably 500-800 depending on the shop you take it to. It's mostly labor but they will charge you about 100 bucks in misc supplies, and prob 150 in clear coat. Like 30% of your car has to be reshot just in that small amount of damage. Sux.
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 12:19 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Better safe than sorry, the thing had literally been hanging from the ceiling for 10 years and decided to fall when my car was in the garage. Must've had bad karma
Texas22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 01:07 AM   #6
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Get one of those little clear coat touch up bottles, spread a bit over the affected areas, then once its dried wet sand it with about 2-2.5k grit, then compound, and polish. No it won't be a perfect finish, but i guarantee you no one will ever see it.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 06:47 AM   #7
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
Get one of those little clear coat touch up bottles, spread a bit over the affected areas, then once its dried wet sand it with about 2-2.5k grit, then compound, and polish. No it won't be a perfect finish, but i guarantee you no one will ever see it.

It will eventually peel, but like he said it will work as a quick cheep fix. But I would disagree that NO ONE will ever notice. Most won't, car guys who have done body work will notice. You will notice, as you know it's there.
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 01:00 PM   #8

Region: Mississippi
If you're like me, you'll need to reclear the whole thing. Some people will accept touch up with a good blend, but I can see the difference and it'll drive me crazy ... plus if one of my friends said anything about it, I probably kill them for noticing.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing