Advice needed on chips and scratches in paint - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-28-2015, 06:09 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Advice needed on chips and scratches in paint

Had a couple questions and thought I'd bring 'em to you guys. These mishaps have been here since I bought the car and I'd really like to take care of them. I looked into getting some touchup paint but not 100% sure what I need. Would I just need the touchup paint and a clearcoat or do I need primer as well? If anyone has recommendations on reputable sites to purchase touchup paint that'd be appreciated.

There also seems to be some white scuffing on the bumper, not sure how to get that out without messing up the paint further.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3540.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	233.5 KB
ID:	178607   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3541.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	283.2 KB
ID:	178608  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3543.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	270.0 KB
ID:	178609  
StangShocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2015, 06:21 PM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
I am curious as well

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 08:08 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

On the scuffs try using some gas should come offthe rest will be tricky i need more info. Is it just paint missing from scratches? Is the actual bumper damaged ie; deep scratches or anything like that?

Sent from my SM-T217S using Mustang Evolution mobile app
509pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2015, 09:12 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

It looks mostly to be the paint without the bumper itself actually being scratched. There are a few spots where the scratch just barely goes into the bumper, but nothing real deep.

Thanks, I'll have to give the gas a try on the scuffs tomorrow.
Old 03-28-2015, 09:30 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Well if there is no deep scratches better it will make it easier . If it does youll need a filler to fill them in. But here is what "I" would do I would go buy paint in a spray can make sure they give you the right kind tell them you need a base paint and for a bumper im and you need a sepreat clear coat agin it hast to be the right stuff or your paint will peel I just had this issue bc the idiot's gave me the wrong paint and primer. Now you have to options ill continue this soon my phone is dying I have to go get my tablet lol ....... walks away

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 03-28-2015, 09:47 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by StangShocked View Post
It looks mostly to be the paint without the bumper itself actually being scratched. There are a few spots where the scratch just barely goes into the bumper, but nothing real deep.

Thanks, I'll have to give the gas a try on the scuffs tomorrow.

Try a strong compound an example could be maguires ultimate compound then use a buffer.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
cozny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 09:54 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

First option

1) tape aroud the scratches and put news paper around so you dont get paint any where else only leave the scratches exposed

2)spray paint on do light coats till you get the color you want

3) spray clear coat 2-3 times light coats

And its done !

Option two you need low grade sand paper, primer, base paint, clear coat.

1) prep sand off near the scratches i say 1in to 1/2in noting big preferably in a squar makes it easier you dont have to strip paint off completely just the cleat coa

2) tape aroud the scratches and put news paper around so you dont get paint any where else only leave the scratches exposed

3) spray primer 2-3 light coats then gently sand it so you remove any pumps ( make sure to clean it before you add paint and make sure you have the right primer to dont cheap out

4) add base paint light coats till you get the cokor you want dont just spray a bunch of paint all at once and dont spray directly at.

5) add 2-3 coats of clear coat agin and same with primer and paint dont spray it directly at it

Sent from my SM-T217S using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 03-29-2015, 02:18 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
I agree 100% to use Maguire's Ultimate Compound on the Bumper. It will work beautifully .
I also agree with option 2 as you have to rough up the existing Clear Coat in order for the paint to stick properly. Use 1500 grit to start & then 2000 - 2500 grit to finish before painting if you want a nice smooth finish.
You can use spray paint from the auto parts store. Just give them the paint code from the sticker on the inside of the drivers door & they'll give you the right color.
When you paint...do it in the shade if possible when it's around 70-80 degrees. If it's hotter than 80 the paint will dry as it's coming out of the can & you'll get a dusty looking paint job. I've been painting car parts for at least 10 years...Mustang after Mustang & I've learned over the years. Just painted my bullit wheels yesterday in fact & they look store bought. Going to put them back on the car in just a little while.
Hellish Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 07:29 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
You appear to have some pretty deep scraps and scratches there. In other words no paint left. Of course no sand paper or compound can help that. Compounding will help only those superficial scrapes/scratches.
To do it right, you would have to refinish and paint the entire bumper. I would suggest getting some estimates from an autobody shop.
Or you could touch them up and they won't be quite as noticeable from a distance.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 10:04 AM   #10
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Will need to touch it up since it looks like most of them go through the paint. Buffing won't help.

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 10:52 AM   #11

Region: Wisconsin
Look up drcolorchip.com for a perfect match in paint. They also provide a video for application.
KLToberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 04:25 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

I'm going to check in with my local bodyshop and find out how much I'm looking at for the bumper. If it's too much I'll just touch it up with the great above advice as per option 2.

Thanks for all your help guys. I'll report back on how things turn out.

Old 03-31-2015, 05:31 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Where you located ??? If in the Phoenix area I have a guy who paints all my parts. Charges $140 per part no matter if it's a Bumper, Hood, Fender or whatever. He just repainted my Hood & Roof about 2 weeks ago & it looks good.
Hellish Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 09:53 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by StangShocked View Post
I'm going to check in with my local bodyshop and find out how much I'm looking at for the bumper. If it's too much I'll just touch it up with the great above advice as per option 2.

Thanks for all your help guys. I'll report back on how things turn out.

I just replaced my rear bumper cover with a gt bumper cover and the lowest estimate we got from 4 different high quality shops was 1,000 dollars. To repaint the bumper cover will be about 500-700 dollars for a good high quality job.

cozny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 04:25 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Finally got around to checking in with the shop and asked about a dent I had just above the rear wheel (was there when I bought the car.) Said if I claim it as comprehensive he'll take the dent out/repaint and then throw in touching up the bumper. About $100 since the insurance is paying for the meat of it.

Old 06-01-2015, 04:08 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellish Horse View Post
Where you located ??? If in the Phoenix area I have a guy who paints all my parts. Charges $140 per part no matter if it's a Bumper, Hood, Fender or whatever. He just repainted my Hood & Roof about 2 weeks ago & it looks good.

Does he do good work? I ask because I'm also in phoenix and looking to get my car repainted .

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
Adriangozal is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing