Mustang Evolution Forum banner

My Mustang Needs A Paint Job Badly!

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  SpeedFreek 
#1 ·
I have a 2003 GT that's in desperate need for new paint. There are a lot of fade spots in various places, along with some other imperfections (the old owner let it sit outside for nearly 2 years before selling, hence the paint).

How much should I expect a full paint job to cost for this thing? I'm looking for a quality job, as opposed to a Maaco "special," for example. The car is Black Clearcoat and I would be get it painted in the same color.

Also, if anyone knows any good paint shops in Southern NJ, let me know!

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

#2 ·
Most quality paint jobs start at about $1200 and go up from there, especially if you are doing the whole car (i.e. exterior, underhood, trunk, door jambs, etc...). There are two ways that you can go about it.

One, you can look around using Google to find a reputable shop who will paint your car, using their paint of choice.

Two, you can look around using Google to find a reputable shop, ask them to use a paint you prefer.

Both are great, except that I've found that you can save a lot of money by purchasing the paint yourself. I found great deals on paint through Urekem Paints. You can generally buy a good base/clear car kit for around $225 or so, depending on your color. I did black and ended up paying $234 with shipping.

The local shop wasn't sure about the paint, but it came out great and I can't complain. I ended up saving about $600 according to the paint shop as they would have charged me twice that for their "premium" brand.

#3 ·
I do plan on doing the whole car, tho idk how doing under the hood will work with the engine still there? Guess they only do up to a certain point. Nevertheless, that's the idea. As far as paint goes, I want to do the original black code from 2003, so would that site be the best bet, or should I try somewhere else? I don't mind getting the paint and clear coat for a shop at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.