Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Care For New Wheels

944 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  NacsMXer 
#1 ·
I recently just got some new wheels. They are black with the clear coat over them. My last wheels had a similar finish with some silver. It seems as if my old ones had scratches in them, so I dont want to make the same mistake. What do use guys/girls use on you black clear coated wheels to clean them up?

#2 ·
I used to use CarPro Hydro2 (a spray on, rinse off wax) on the wheels after every other wash and every two or three months I use DP Wheel Glaze which would help polish out any minor scratching. Now that mine are plasti coated though all I use is hydro2.

#3 ·
I would usually wash my car and spray all loose dirt of the wheels, then use a wet cloth to clean off the other fine dirt on the wheels then dry them. It just seemed like I might be damaging them.

#4 ·
Being that your wheels are black with a clear coat, they will be especially prone to showing any fine scratches you induce any time you touch them. You want to use the proper tools that will be gentle enough not to cause scratches when you wash the wheels or wipe them down.

Here is what I use on my chrome Roush wheels:

This is not my picture, but I use the following wheel detail tools:

Far left red brush: Speedmaster Wheel brush for the insides of the wheel barrels, brake calipers and behind the wheel faces. This tool is indispensable for keeping the inner part of the wheels looking clean and new. The stem is flexible allowing it to hold a specific shape. Speed Master Wheel Brush

2nd black brush from left: Wheel Woolies Boar's Hair Wheel Brush. This is a VERY gentle brush that should be used to clean the outer face of the wheel. Use this in a dedicated bucket with your favorite car shampoo to gently agitate the dirt and brake dust. Using a brush like this vs. a more aggressive wheel brush is the difference between causing scratches/marring during washing and not. This is the best/safest wheel washing brush you can buy as far as I know. Wheel Woolies Boars Hair Wheel Brush - www.CarPro-US.com

Small black brush on the far right: Wheel Woolies Boar's Hair Lug Nut Brush. Self-explanatory, use this gentle brush on the lug nuts and bores. It is also useful to clean tight areas of the brake calipers. Wheel Woolies Boars Hair Detail Brush: 1 1/4" Dia. - www.CarPro-US.com

I also HIGHLY recommend CarPro Hydro2. It is a wipeless silica based sealant that is so easy to use it's not funny. It can be used on the entire car including the wheels after you wash. All you do is mix up the concentrate in a spray bottle and dilute to the proper ratio with water. After you have washed the car/wheels, rinse it off.

While the car is still wet, going panel by panel/wheel by wheel, spray a light mist of Hydro2. Wait about 15-30 seconds and then immediately rinse off with a high pressure stream of water. Like magic, the surface is instantly sealed and the water starts to bead off like crazy. Once you dry everything the car will have a very slick and warm glow like you just waxed it by hand. Doesn't get much faster/easier to protect and seal your car than that! I use this every other wash and especially like it on the wheels since it makes them even easier to wash/dry the next time. HydrO2: Touchless Sealant - Concentrate (100ml) - www.CarPro-US.com
Demo Video on Mustang: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PRewO_3nso

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.