Darkest Tint for windshield? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-27-2015, 03:03 AM   #1

Region: New Jersey
Darkest Tint for windshield?

So I have a 2002 Competition orange mustang gt, I have 15% on the 2 front Windows now and plan on going down to 5% like the back but I wanna tint the windshield. So my question is, what's the darkest I should go? Just looking for advice from people that have dark tint and drive at night. It is a little hard to back up at night with 5% but it's not like I have headlights on the back. Thanks in advanced.

* Yes I realize it's illegal, just ignore that for now. *
MustangShaun12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2015, 08:21 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Plenty of guys here have the 5% tint in the back. I've seen a couple comments about it being a bit dark at night but haven't heard of anyone backing up a tree yet. I'm sure someone with 5% will chime in.

If you are concerned about it being too dark you could always do the 15% all around.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
StangShocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 08:55 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by StangShocked View Post
Plenty of guys here have the 5% tint in the back. I've seen a couple comments about it being a bit dark at night but haven't heard of anyone backing up a tree yet. I'm sure someone with 5% will chime in.

If you are concerned about it being too dark you could always do the 15% all around.

I think he's asking about the front windshield.
DiESeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2015, 09:07 AM   #4
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
coming soon.....how do I install HID's cause my windshield is so dark I can't see at night.

poor impulse control

on subject, OP be careful how dark you go
Old 05-27-2015, 09:16 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiESeven View Post
I think he's asking about the front windshield.

Read OP again, you're right. My bad! I guess that's what happens when I read something half-asleep...

Personally if you do a lot of night driving I think 5% in the front would be a bad idea.

StangShocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 11:30 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Hampshire
As a former traffic cop, I was lenient and ignored side tint being too dark....because...it was Florida and hot as heck.
ANY front windshield entirely tinted, no matter how light got an instant ticket and I looked for other stuff to pile on as well. AND made them rip it off right there no matter how long it took or came off in little pieces.
It's very obvious when it's tinted especially if you're wearing polarized sunglasses and stands out bad. It makes it impossible to see in as a safety issue for an officer and obviously is like wearing sunglasses at night for the driver....way easier to hit and kill a kid walking or on a bike or other traffic .
Don't do it. You're basically telling everyone else on the road that you're comfort and privacy are more important than their safety.
Go an inch or two below the AS1 line if you must but if you insist on doing the entire thing....stand by for some tickets Or a tow.
Waylap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 02:15 PM   #7

Thanks all. Yea 5% in the front should be over kill and unsafe. Something like 30% can't be that bad. Or like he was just saying doing the strip, leaning away from that tho but options...
Old 05-27-2015, 08:51 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Good advice, Waylap1
GTgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 09:08 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

At least with the sides, yeah it's more dangerous BUT you can roll them down. The entire front windshield? ...um no.
Expect major dooshiness from cops. Because what you're effectively saying is...F everyone else on the road....at YOUR expense because I can't see shinola at night. But I look so cool.
Old 05-28-2015, 12:36 AM   #10
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
I've seen a Corvette with tinted all around windows including the windshields that last window definitely makes a difference.

The only time I would ever put tint on the front window is if the car never sees any night time driving.

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 12:56 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
This car had 5% all the way around. Even on the windshield.

It was dark real dark. I use to sit in this thing for hours when I was little just "pretending to drive"

Night time wasn't a good IDEA

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1432792515191.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	183541  
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 03:08 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Imagine this for just a moment.
You get the bright idea to have window tint covering your entire front windshield. Super dark or even just a light shade, whatever. The cops for whatever reason haven't noticed you yet, cited you or towed your car.
You accidently kill someone in a crash, your fault or theirs, doesn't matter.
Your vehicle is towed and impounded pending the traffic homicide investigation. The civil attorneys drool all over your car and anything they find different about it that would shock and enfuriate a civil jury (that usually consists of conservative citizens).
Your entirely tinted front windshield becomes the hanging point and certainly their client wouldn't have been killed if you had been able to see correctly and Lawfully.
I've seen and been a party to this a few times. Just don't do this.
It's hard enough to scratch and claw your way to your personal and financial goals in this life.....try doing that after a negligent homicide judgement.
Old 05-28-2015, 05:18 AM   #13

I didn't mean to start a whole conversation with me killing people. I'm just gonna go with the strip, that sounds like a good idea and "I'm not running little kids over" lol. I know I'm making a joke out of it but I understand what you guys are saying. It's dangerous plain and simple. Strip will be plenty okay.
Old 05-28-2015, 09:15 AM   #14
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
props....

I will say it would look good but not practical and apt to get ya in trouble
Old 05-28-2015, 09:27 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

I cant wait for the future, when someone develops some kind of light adaptave windshield that can tint enough to block a lot of heat, and at night becomes clear. (kind of like transition eyeglasses, but somehow more reliable)
Back in 2009 when i was getting my old car tinted, i remember seeing "clear tint" or tint that was slightly blueish, which advertised blocking as much heat as regular tint, but without darkness. I would imagine if it worked, more people would have it. Anyone remember this?
Old 05-28-2015, 10:07 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenixignition View Post
I cant wait for the future, when someone develops some kind of light adaptave windshield that can tint enough to block a lot of heat, and at night becomes clear. (kind of like transition eyeglasses, but somehow more reliable)
Back in 2009 when i was getting my old car tinted, i remember seeing "clear tint" or tint that was slightly blueish, which advertised blocking as much heat as regular tint, but without darkness. I would imagine if it worked, more people would have it. Anyone remember this?
That would be awesome, if it had the same idea as transitional windshield tint like glasses. Sun's out, nice and dark but At night it's all clear
Old 05-28-2015, 10:11 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

if anything the same thing would probably work. UV exposure causes the eyeglasses to change to dark. mine never worked inside the car, even sitting on the dash, due to UV blockage from the windshield. at least that was my assumption as to whats going on. In the garage with the garage door open, they would tint though.
Old 05-28-2015, 10:53 AM   #18
Road Trip!
Regular

Region: Arizona
Lots of people here in phoenix have all their windows tinted. Some even have 5% over another 5% film. I had 3% all around except the windshield and the my luck ran out after a year but yea sometimes when turning out of a neighborhood i had to lower my window or open the door to look behind when i reversed
Joser714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 10:56 AM   #19
Road Trip!
Regular

Region: Arizona
First one is with my 3% (according to highway patrol)
Second is no tint at court for my fix it ticket
Third is 35% (legal shade in az)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1432828460193.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	129.6 KB
ID:	183558   Click image for larger version

Name:	1432828479135.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	183559  

Name:	1432828512259.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	183560  
Joser714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 02:29 PM   #20

I have 5% on all but the front windshield, on the front windshield I have a 5% just a bit past the (A1?) line or whatever it is actually called haha. I roll the windows down to back out at night, but other than that, I haven't had any issues with visibility. Its a bit dark looking out the side windows, but I can clearly see my driver and passenger mirrors with no problems, but that is just me. I also live in South FL, so it is HOT down here, so the tint is a life saver as far as that goes.
Harrisonchase is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing